Note to New Members ×

big mtn... BMES 09

west carven

howdy all

did not know what to expect today cause i havent been on the mtn

for almost a week. the last big dump was wed, and was warm and cold.

well it was one of the best carving day, groomers were just a tad icey

with an inch of new snow and snowed from the time i got there. got

alittle bumppy with the new stuff, but the groomers were very carvable.

push it pretty hard and had a blast! rode the fp173...

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

howdy all

well, it was kinda clear last night and this morning was snowing alittle.

so i thought just a few inches over groom, i was wrong, four inches in

the village and seven plus on top. should have rode the 156 fish, but

still had fun on the fp173. it was snowing hard all the time, i left early

at 11:45am, it was still snowing. i'll have someone work for me tomorrow...

howdy all

this is not an april fools report, about a foot of new pow.

one of the best pow day this year! rode the 156 fish and

had a blast!!! some sun trying to peak thru, mostly cloudy.

all the powder hounds were out today and got tracked out

pretty fast. my first few runs were great!, tony matt, good

medicine, langley and the backside. the basin is closed for

the season. another rain/snow tomorrow...

howdy all

what a way to end the season, perfect groomers!!!, the kind

where you can really push it. blue bird morning then some clouds

move in around noon. by 12 pm it was getting soft and wet.

stayed all day to watch the pond skimming. it was spring skiing

by the end of the day. i got to say this was one of the best

carving season. the big dump on christmas day put the snow

level where it should be then little snow here and there just when

we needed it. i'm a happy camper and had my fill, 1,129,518 vertical

feet in 59 days, not bad for an old man. my picture on the frontpage

of the paper was pretty cool. meeting and riding with some fellow

carvers, made this the best season. hope to see you all again next

year...

post-2158-141842280309_thumb.jpg

Hi West, Sorry to here the season is over. You had a good run this year even if you were 29 years old. Thanks for the updates. I had a blast with everyone this season. I would love to be back next year but Shred is already talking about A different location. I guess he doesn't have any more boards to sell. Ill see how it all works out. I might see you next year by my self. Have A great summer.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple weeks of spring, and then back to winter. Some pics of the Doc trying out his 196 Voile swallowtail last week. The ice was so bad the skins weren't sticking.

My Backcountry 176 is about to sell on eBay tonight, so now it's back to boot packing until my new Prior shows up.

Day 98 of lift assisted riding at Lake Louise yesterday, but the season is winding down fast.

post-1861-141842281444_thumb.jpg

post-1861-141842281446_thumb.jpg

Neither of us had crampons. They would have helped. My skins worked a little better, but even I found myself sliding uncontrollably down the ice at times. That was the 20th day on my splitboard this season, and it was by far the worst snow conditions to date. Mostly spring slush up to that day. Sorry Doc.

Hey, is Silver Mountain closed for the season now?

Well my first skinning experience falls into the category of things I had the balls to try that most people haven't. conditions were abysmal but we had fun anyway. I have a set of curious bruises on my knees from every time the skins gave out.:freak3:

I look forward to trying again after spring returns or a significant snowfall. looks like we might have that since its dumping at my office right now:biggthump

• 2 weeks later...

If you're going to try it again, Doc, better make it soon -- like this weekend. The cool, cloudy days have let it last this long, but I think the top-to-bottom runs probably have less than a week left.

Here's some video I shot Tuesday. Note how sketchy the last sections are getting. I sold my old split, still waiting for the new one to arrive, hence the old school approach to earning turns this week.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01heke2VW4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01heke2VW4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

For everyone that missed closing day, this is what you missed...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8y9cfoFwt0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8y9cfoFwt0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I'm finally taking time to process video I shot last winter. Working backwards; eventually I'll get all the way back to the SES stuff.

Still working on vert, Shred. One run at a time nowadays, but I'm over to 2.8 million for the season.

Darn, now I'll have to try again with some different songs. Or first I'll try raising the wind noise -- it's probably automated using sound signatures to check a against a copyright database. With enough interference, or short enough samples, it would be ok. They cancelled the soundtrack of my first snowboarding video of the season too.... Fair use, man! I'm just mixing for my friends... a few hundred of my closest ones...

Ok. I remixed the Carving Bunny vid with louder wind noise. If they still silence it, I'll change out the soundtrack. Else I'll upload the HD (1080x720) version of this one overnight.

But in the mean time, check out what just arrived at my door 20 minutes ago... Hooty Hoo! Prior Khyber Split 165. I was starting to think I'd need to drive to Sunshine Village, AB, this weekend to escape the snowshoes.

post-1861-141842281898_thumb.jpg