Note to New Members ×

Kessler News Article

yyzcanuck

Kessler skis? It will be interesting to see if he can adapt the technology to skis - if he can, look out world.

1000 handmade boards is an awful lot of production, and at $1500 a shot it's an awful lot of money! That's awesome.

that's a ton of skis for a small operation

Kessler does design palmer snowboard and skis but I think palmer builds them somewhere else but the shape is kessler.

that said, big companies do farm out custom work for their racers sometimes maybe Atomic does........

big companies do farm out custom work for their racers sometimes.

So Kessler is making Burtons?:lol: Just kidding, but I haven't talked to you in a while and just thought I'd keep in touch!!!:ices_ange I did read the article and was SERIOUSLY wondering if Kesslers were functionally good agressive carvers. Just incase I hit the lottery.:biggthump

So Kessler is making Burtons?:lol: Just kidding, but I haven't talked to you in a while and just thought I'd keep in touch!!!:ices_ange I did read the article and was SERIOUSLY wondering if Kesslers were functionally good agressive carvers. Just incase I hit the lottery.:biggthump

some burtons were priors............

these were one off custom jobs though for specific racers allegedly.

I can't verify this as fact because I have never actually seen one but also some of faucett's burners were Prior's too again, that's the rumor.

there were some decent boards that burton made but they were not consumer boards and were never in shops they were team boards many of which were different shapes than the primes being sold.

some burtons were priors............

these were one off custom jobs though for specific racers allegedly.

I can't verify this as fact because I have never actually seen one but also some of faucett's burners were Prior's too again, that's the rumor.

there were some decent boards that burton made but they were not consumer boards and were never in shops they were team boards many of which were different shapes than the primes being sold.

I thought fawcett's boards were coilers in sims clothing? Bruce?

When I showed up with Burner 188 at Prior's demo tent few weeks ago, his guys were cheering up to the good old school board. They confirmed few of hte race ones where made at their factory. However, it didn't come from Chris himself, he wasn't pressent.

If I had a Kessler, I would put soft bindings on it...duck.

And do some awesome jibbing.

I'm sorry to say I am a jibber. I'm also a carver. And sometimes I do both on the same run. I'm also a "fruit booter" (aka rollerblader), I'm a "pole-boarder" (aka windsurfer), and a wakeboarder (when I have a tow), also an oldschool skateboarder, which has a range of definitions depending on the location, terrain, and my mood. Being a Mid-Westerner I make due with what I have and I do it splendedly. My car right now has a Mistral Comp on the roof, a 9 inch wide Lucero and a pair of K2 Soul Slides in the trunk, and I have my Lucero set up for a 400cm mast and a 3.2 meter sail with boom for parking lot sailing. If I could I'd have a Mongoose mounted on top of my "sailboard". (Midwest term) I really don't see why we fight with each other, but like I've said before I don't hold any loyalties.

So if you were to go out for some soul carving in not quite "hero" snow, would you be on a Kessler or Prior? ...or something else?

That's a complicated one...

Not quite "hero" on the soft/bumpy/slushy/piled/choppy side of things, or icy/rutted/frozen side?

For former, I would be on Tanker 192, 4807, Speed Wide, or just about any AM board.

For later, any titanal board would do way better then traditional construction.

On the side note, I rode a very Kessler-like Prior WCR. Very soft, decambered nose, very long very progressive SCR... It worked like a charm. Didn't feel big turning like 17-14m scr, but I didn't take it to the steeps.

I enjoy my Kessler GS in all snow conditions. Riding speed is the issue I have. There is a threshold speed before I can turn it the way I want to, but that speed is not uber fast and is most likely rider ability. My Prior WCR is more usable at slower speeds, but not as much fun when the previously mentioned threshold is reached. I always feel much more tired after riding my Prior as opposed to my Kessler. When the slopes are crowded though the Kessler is not my choice of rides, again rider ability is suspect.

I enjoy my Kessler GS in all snow conditions. Riding speed is the issue I have. There is a threshold speed before I can turn it the way I want to, but that speed is not uber fast and is most likely rider ability. My Prior WCR is more usable at slower speeds, but not as much fun when the previously mentioned threshold is reached. I always feel much more tired after riding my Prior as opposed to my Kessler. When the slopes are crowded though the Kessler is not my choice of rides, again rider ability is suspect.

A lot of what you are saying / feeling points to one major difference in the two boards - the K is torsionally a lot stiffer than an off-the-shelf WCR...so the WCR is easier to ride at slower speeds and in better conditions whereas the K is the opposite - as long as it is ridden aggressively. If you ride a torsionally stiff race board lazily it will seem unruly.

but when you get out freeriding with the intention of riding race lines; which i'm kind of brainwashed into considering i've done nothing but race for quite a while now; wherever i take my kessler i'm bound to leave a mark on the mountain. i'm sure if i stepped onto a freeride board i'd feel a pretty major differance but for now; i love charging the Kessler; it's just so stable the only way to tell how fast you're going is by the trees you're passing. the boards love to rip no matter what you're doing and yes there most likely are much better free riding boards but i love my kessler with all of my heart.

i've probably taken the kessler up to about 60 as of late; didn't even notice how fast i was going until i passed a guy so quickly; even 20 feet away; he felt a wall of wind hit him.

I've poached a half dozen runs on a Kessler (Thanks Shane!). The only reason I wouldn't freecarve with it all day is that the Hangl plate is heavy enough that it saps my energy which would shorten my day. My Coiler NSR 185 has a very Kessler like shape and I love freecarving on it. Holds onto turns on steeper pitches just fine, holds onto speed on shallower pitches.

I guess I like taking GS-like lines when I am out freecarving too.