38 members have voted

1. 1. favorite race board

• Kessler
    • Nidecker
    • coiler
    • volkl
    • f2
    • other

Let's assume we are not talking race board to run gates, as we are mostly weekend warriors here, and we are not talking strictly race stock. So my vision is that by Race Board, we talk a race shape, GS or SL...

I would vote Prior in GS department and Elan on SL side of things.

Let's assume we are not talking race board to run gates, as we are mostly weekend warriors here, and we are not talking strictly race stock. So my vision is that by Race Board, we talk a race shape, GS or SL...

I would vote Prior in GS department and Elan on SL side of things.

I've had pretty good luck with my Volkl RennTiger GS board the past few years. I didn't know Elan made race boards. I couldn't find anything on their site. I race on Elan skis. Where can I get more info? The only reference I could find online was a closed auction on eBay.

If you are looking for a board you can compete on you only have two letgit options right now. Kessler and SG, that's it. Don't even waste your money on anything else. If you are looking for a "race board" to ride around the mountion and put into gate from time to time, but not take racing seriously, then your options increase.

If you are looking for a board you can compete on you only have two letgit options right now. Kessler and SG, that's it. Don't even waste your money on anything else. If you are looking for a "race board" to ride around the mountion and put into gate from time to time, but not take racing seriously, then your options increase.

Phil, I'll ask a serious question. What's the matter with Coiler metals? Just took delivery of my first a month ago, and it is exquisite. I really think he's on to something.

... while I love my Coiler New School Race 185, I am nowhere *NEAR* enough of a racer to be able to judge what a competition level race deck should be. In fact I just got schooled by Noschoolrider in the gates yesterday, he was on his alp :p

However to the serious freecarvers and beer league racers - mere mortals like me - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Coiler's metal decks. I feel like a better rider than I am on mine, seriously...

can a "Race" board be wider than 20 cm ? Stiffy factor ? Luv my Coiler EX but I wouldn't call it a "race" sled.

set it OFF !

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s56RlF_D6DE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s56RlF_D6DE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I didn't know Elan made race boards. I couldn't find anything on their site. I race on Elan skis. Where can I get more info? The only reference I could find online was a closed auction on eBay.

Yup, Ballistic. It's discontinued. Somewhat narrow by today's standards. Impressed me by its livliness, snap, rebound and variable turn shape. Made me tired too ;)

No race boards produced by Elan have Elan graphics on them. But think F2, SG, and probably few Japanese brands...

Just about all the guys are racing on boards that are around 20.4 cm wide, some wider.

Jack I've seen the newer metal coilers and they still are not in the league of the Kesslers and the new SG's. Bruce is getting close, but until Jasey and Morrisen go back to Coilers you know there is a better option for racing. For everyday riding a Coiler is a great option though. Good board, Bruce is great to work with, he is working his tail off to make a competitive product and he is getting closer with every board.

You forget the Tomahawk Phil....It for sure is a real option.

Jack I've seen the newer metal coilers and they still are not in the league of the Kesslers and the new SG's. Bruce is getting close, but until Jasey and Morrisen go back to Coilers you know there is a better option for racing. For everyday riding a Coiler is a great option though. Good board, Bruce is great to work with, he is working his tail off to make a competitive product and he is getting closer with every board.

Thanks Phil, care to elaborate on the differences?

remember when we used to ride those skinny balance beam boards ?

18 cm wide?

Man, that IS some skinny shizzle.

Heh, well, I still have my Madd 158 (18cm) and Madd 180 (19cm). My Coiler Safari 170 is 21cm and I'm loving the width - feels like a snowboard again! However I think 18cm still works for the 158, it's so quick and such a different animal. 18cm isn't versatile, but neither is any 158 anyway. 19cm is pretty good on the 180. No desire to sell either of those boards, they still have very important places in my quiver. I think for a longer board like 180+, I'd get a 20cm waist just to save some board weight compared to 21cm.