Note to New Members ×

Cut e-rings

wvrocks

I was swapping my bindings between boards the other day and noticed that my yellow e-rings are cut in several places by the cant plate. Mostly where the tabs stick up through the cant. Because of this I'm thinking maybe I should change to the purple or red e-rings. At the same time, I'd really prefer not to give up the flex that the yellows afford and I'm not sure that the stiffer ones wouldn't cut too. Maybe the cuts aren't a problem at all? I've had 3 sets do the same thing. I'm riding a Donek Axis 177 and a Volkl Renntiger 183 and soon a F2 SL163. I'm 6'3" 255 and fairly aggessive. What say you?

Also thought about adding the suspension kit to see if that made a difference. Maybe red or purple e-rings over the yellow suspension kit?

I'm in the same boat. My yellow e-rings are cut just as you say but my purple ones are fine. The yellow are on my primary board and get more use but I suspect they are cut because of how soft they are. I have never noticed any problem from using them in that condition but I have also recently started using the suspension kit.

I'm interested to hear what other people think.

That's why I'm not sure I need to change them. The binding doesn't seem to be bottoming out on the board. I didn't see any top sheet damage anyway. But I'm guessing that they aren't supposed to be cut and that the cuts could eventually allow the deck or binding itself to be damaged since it increases the range the cant plate can travel. Only one weekend left for me anyway so I guess I have a while to decide.

You're talking about the newer solid-yellow rings, am I right? Mine are shredded too. I think that a stiffer ring will last longer, and with a suspension kit the ride should still be good. Will begin to test that theory tomorrow. :)

I wonder if part of it has to do with how often you have to remove them from the board. I swapped between boards a lot before I bought a second set of TD2's. The e-ring tends to stick to the top sheet and needs to be pried up which would cause a lot of pressure between the e-ring and the cant disc.

I wonder if part of it has to do with how often you have to remove them from the board. I swapped between boards a lot before I bought a second set of TD2's. The e-ring tends to stick to the top sheet and needs to be pried up which would cause a lot of pressure between the e-ring and the cant disc.

My thoughts as well... my observation the lifetime seems to be measured in number of times the lower assembly is uninstalled and installed.

Not the case with mine but possible I suppose. I just swap the top plate since I have a 2nd board kit mounted on my other board. I only loosen the cant plate bolts at the end of the season when I put them away for the summer. My current set was new this December and haven't been removed.

Not the case with mine but possible I suppose. I just swap the top plate since I have a 2nd board kit mounted on my other board. I only loosen the cant plate bolts at the end of the season when I put them away for the summer. My current set was new this December and haven't been removed.

mine were only mounted once, I figured it was the suspension kit making it bunch up but I guess not.

My old yellow rings have ? days and are fine. The soft yellow E-rings tore on two of the small tabs within 5 sessions and have been fine for over 25 more sessions as is. I figured I had misaligned them during assembly.

lol, mine lasted about 12 days on snow

the purple and red have lasted around 30 and 100 and still going

Yeah I got about 10 days on the last set before they cut. I may just go ahead and try out the purple ones.

Bola, its not that I'm cheap, although If I replaced them when they tore, which probably isn't necessary at all, I'd be spending $90 to $120 a season on e-rings. Personally I'd rather spend that money elsewhere.

I was thinking that I might be able to go to a stiffer e-ring and get better durability and still get acceptable ride characteristics. At my height and weight I should still be able to get a fair amount of flex out of the purple e-rings.

Factor in that most of the riders commenting here are well over the 200lbs and riding in warmer climates, I have to agree with NateW:

it seems like the ring is just flowing out from under the cant disc, and the only reason its tearing is that the nubs won't follow the rest of the ring's outward motion.

If you big guys want a plush ride, you have to sacrifice somewhere. The sacrifice is the durability of the e-ring.

If you want to solve the durability problem switch to a red e-ring with a suspension kit. Granted the overall "spring rate" of this combination will likely be softer than running only the yellow e-ring (depends on actual durometers).

Yeah I think that's what I'm going to try. Does seem that most people who have this issue are big guys. I wonder though if temperature has much to do with it. I supposes warmer temps would allow for softer materials and easier tearing, but would colder temps not make them stiffer and less able to stretch under load? The average temp in Feb this year in my area was about 26 degrees, Vail Pass was about 15 degrees and Castle Rock was 32 for the same period. Our low was about -3.5, -8 for Vail Pass and 3 for Castle Rock. I guess those temp differences could alter the durability of the material. At any rate, I don't think the cut e-rings are really much of a problem, they seem to function fine. Like most things, they just have a limited lifespan when big guys are involved.

Now that I think about it, I do agree that they may be tearing as a result of their limited range of motion. I can't remember for sure but I don't believe its a clean cut, its more of a jagged edge which would indicate that its not being pinched by the cant plate against the board.

I am ~210lbs, ride yellow e-rings but most of the season ride in temperatures ranging from 0 to 20 degrees F. One warm day in January big Mario and I both stopped to check out our bindings, thinking that we had loose hardware. Things felt way too loose/sloppy. We both realized that the temperature was near freezing. The sloppiness we were feeling was just the e-ring being a little softer because the temperature that day was a lot warmer than we were used to.

On certain boards, I switch to purple e-rings for spring-time riding.

Yeah, you can tell a difference in the ride when it gets warm. Our temps can be anywhere from -10 to 60. Thats a pretty wide range for that part to operate in. When its really warm it tough to decide whether its your equipment or the snow thats more sloppy. :)

I just swapped in a set of older translucent rings tonight. To clarify what I meant but 'flowing out from under the cant disc,' here are some pictures. I'm hoping that the older rings last longer, but I have purple and red on hand if they don't. The suspension kit does such a good job, I don't think the ring durometer makes that much difference anyway.

post-9-141842255633_thumb.jpg

post-9-141842255635_thumb.jpg

post-9-141842255636_thumb.jpg