Note to New Members ×

With a whimper or a bang?

John E

Bang or Whimper?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Bang or Whimper?

• Bang
    • whimper

Whilst we always hope for the the best, sometimes the weather quits earlier than expected, like last year here in the Midwest. But that was the motivation for us to head to Mt. Hood.....in June, now that was cool.

We're winding down here now but buisness takes me out to Oregon next week, and Mt. Hood is calling.

I am looking forward to the day when I am a wealthy, retired, carver, and I can minimize the off season to just a few weeks a year. I can dream can't I?

Anyway, I hope all of you can get after whats left.

Al

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With 213" being reported at Timberline (at the lodge) on Mt Hood this morning and more snow through the week and weekend I'm gonna have to vote for BANG!

I'm heading up on Fri, Mon, & Wed. WOOT!

The only thing that sucks about all of it is that I can't find time to design the parts to get my VFR back together for riding this summer:smashfrea.

I'm retired - lots of free time; mountain only 20 miles away and open another 26 days; plenty of snow still on the slopes; don't have to pay to ride; still too cold and roads too messy for me to want to ride bike. I'll board right to the end.

I think it's more of a THUNK like you get when you shut a good solid car door. THUNKS are nice, BANGS can hurt.

ITS SNOWING like I have never seen it snow. we started the day with over a foot of fresh light january champaigne and it DUMPED all day. my last run was down the back nine in Hellroaring basin and I was pushing chest deep powder in the trees. I don't know what happened exactly but it definitely wasn't a whimper:D

Oh yeah and its supposed to happen again tonite:biggthump

If the rental shop sees the need to continue with their bureucratic powertrip and sends me more never-evers on the horrible(for many reasons) rossi stepins,today will be my last day.They actually have good,tool free,strap bindings in inventory and despite my pleadings to them and management ,continue to send out the stepins even when business is slow enough to have the only rentals be in my lessons.Lets screw the customer experience so we can screw the instructor.Now that's good business!

ps ;the snow is awesome!

ITs still snowing OMG hip deep january powder. Damn my legs hurt! Good thing I have to work today or walking would become a challenge. keep sending it my way steve.

I have frozen all of my teeth,destroyed my quads, lost all sense of reality, and my ribs hurt from laughing so much.

:biggthump 30 inch weekend and still snowing:biggthump

and here's the sobering thought. They close in a week.:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea

I guess we'll be hiking again this year.:ices_ange

Every ski area in the inland NW is closing april 6 with record coverage of the best quality snow in a decade:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea

it's a conspiracy to screw the passholders.

time for a nastygram campain, it won't make em open but it'll make me feel better

the typical INW pass holder is that they don't use their effen passes.We have 4000 pass holders at Silver and yet,two weeks ago,on the best Saturday in recent memory, there were only 624 riders up the gondola.That says to the management that there are simply not enough people up there spending money on food,rentals,alchohol etc to justify staying open.Can't blame them,but I wish it wasn't so.

started off badly with a case of e-coli from resort food(a freakin veggie sub no less!), then frequent weekends carvin on my softies tailin recon, then 10 monster days at Steamboat, where my ski-babe finally took a snowboard lesson...and loved it:eplus2:

and ending with a great day riding and skiing a deserted mtn with stiff groom to creamed corn with 3 guys from the local group... my skiing skills have finally caught up with my riding skills, and my 3800 made me want a new dedicated carver all the more....

got the plates and boots still, but i need a new kayak paddle and pfd, and new wheels for my inlines... oh well maybe i'll get lucky with an end of summer deal:ices_ange

Last weekend was awesome! 19 cm of snow on Thursday, the groomers packed it down to near SES-quality snow by Saturday. Barely anyone was at the hill so we almost had runs to ourselves. It's been getting warmer and warmer so this weekend was likely going to be the last for me. Whimper...

But then - BANG! I slipped on some ice in my back lane one morning and landed in a very strange position, twisting the heck out of my left knee. I can walk in a straight line with only mild discomfort but pivoting on that leg hurts lots. No more riding for me this season! :(

My season ended with a slight bang and lots of whimpering. Although there is still snow at our local hill (Indianhead and they received 13 inches this week) last weekend was my official end. I tried to recruit a few of my punk arse friends to do a roadtrip but they always manage to come up with excuses. I think it's really time for new friends! *Sigh*

Anyhow Al is going to Mt. Hood this weekend and I think I'll do my taxes, rebuild a computer and study for my Stats class. Yay sounds like big fun :(

Oh well, even though I started out a little rough, I still had a fabulous winter. I look forward to seeing everyone next season....Same time....same dirty channel :)

Ciao,

Pebbles

and no one is here. Had a couple of runs the other day to myself top to bottom almost a mile long each. With NO ONE on them. As in not one moving person on the whole run. And perfect carving conditions.

http://www.sunvalley.com/SunValley/SunValleyAssets/images/cams/rrcam/rrlodge_full.jpg

another stinking bluebird today with winter temps and carvy chalk everywhere. Looking at the time stamp on that photo looks to be real close to 9 am opening bell. Such a line.

Current Weather Observations

Temp. - Baldy Wind - Baldy Temp. - Valley Floor Wind - Valley Floor

22°F/ -6°C NW 3 - 5 MPH 14°F/ -10°C N 0 - 12 MPH

Did I mention it is as close to perfect carving as you can get right now?

:1luvu::1luvu:

I love this place.

I tried to recruit a few of my punk arse friends to do a roadtrip but they always manage to come up with excuses. I think it's really time for new friends! *Sigh*

Amen to that. A good gf will road trip anywhere with you. My friend Michelle and I did precisely that last weekend, and had a blast.

We'll have to move closer to each other. Aspen is a long road trip !

Allee,

That would be awesome! Well I'm hoping that once I finish school that opportunities will be even more plentiful and allow me to decide where we should move to.

We'll have to figure out how to put together a road trip and yes I do need a good gf to going carving with. My gf's are too lame to even think about snowsports.

Pffffft!

Amen to that. A good gf will road trip anywhere with you. My friend Michelle and I did precisely that last weekend, and had a blast.

We'll have to move closer to each other. Aspen is a long road trip !

I found out this morning that my season ended with a bang literally. I had a serious wreck on saturday that didn't hurt much at the time. Last night I was moving some boxes in storage and went to my knees and nearly passed out. Turns out I have a compression fracture of my 7th Thoracic vertabrae. I guess the last hurah and the pond skimming on Saturday is out now.:(

Good news is I can still work and since we are moving to a new facility someone else will have to do all the heavy lifting:D