Note to New Members ×

How many feet have you ridden this year?

Fastskiguy

How many vertical feet did you ride this season?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How many vertical feet did you ride this season?

• 100,000-200,000
    • 200,000-300,000
    • 300,000-400,000
    • 400,000-600,000
    • 600,000-1,000,000
    • 1,000,000-1,500,000
    • surely, nobody over 1,500,000???

I currently have almost 800,000 feet tracked from my pass on the Bachelor site. It seems to miss some of my lift rides so add about 5% to that total and then there's 4 days at other ski areas. I should pass a million no problem. Last year I had just over a million officially tracked!

I will "vote" at season's end.

This year 494,000.00 vert feet but had two knee surgeries and a fractured femur since May. That makes me a bit imparied. My best day was 81,000.00 vert feet and best year just under 3.5 million all at Sun Valley. oh I used to be strong, now i just feel old and worn out.:)

How the hell did you do 81K in a day?!?!?! I think my legs fall off at about 50K.

How the hell did you do 81K in a day?!?!?! I think my legs fall off at about 50K.

I credit it to the unique sport my life revolved around until the early 90's that involved long periods of leg and lower abdominal torture. I believe my best week i got 270k. I'm 41 now and doing 50k is pushing it for me also. I think on skis, on the same lift all day 103+k has been done.

I credit it to the unique sport my life revolved around until the early 90's that involved long periods of leg and lower abdominal torture.

Gotta be sailboat racing, that's been the most painful for me on the legs and lower abs!

Seems like at least some of you guys are getting over 1,000,000 feet per year, freakin' inspirational!

"My best day was 81,000.00 vert feet"

A bit of quick math (based on my assumptions):

If an average run is 2000 vertical feet, that's 40.5 runs. Most ski areas are open 6 hours a day. If you don't stop for lunch or anything else, that's a run every 9 minutes all day long. The lift ride probably takes 2/3 of that time.

The area I usually ride has slow lifts and the vertical rise of the lift is about 850 feet & I'm lucky if I can do 12 minute laps. I'm not racing but I don't stop. It's hard to comprehend.

:confused:

I know they have it where I often go...

I don't know how little I've gotten, surely not enough. I do know that this past saturday, after subtracting for a very short lunch break I was on the snow and riding for well over 10 hrs and God knows how many laps...

and then another 6 hrs on sunday...

yes, my thighs were a little stiff yesterday, but I'm ready for more and despartately want to go ridding again :D

"My best day was 81,000.00 vert feet"

A bit of quick math (based on my assumptions):

If an average run is 2000 vertical feet, that's 40.5 runs. Most ski areas are open 6 hours a day. If you don't stop for lunch or anything else, that's a run every 9 minutes all day long. The lift ride probably takes 2/3 of that time.

The area I usually ride has slow lifts and the vertical rise of the lift is about 850 feet & I'm lucky if I can do 12 minute laps. I'm not racing but I don't stop. It's hard to comprehend.

Well Sun Valley is a good place to rack it up, over on the Warm Springs side you can get over 3000 feet per lap! And they're open 9-4 so that's 7 hours. So theoretically 7 hours at 3 laps per hour could get you 63,000 feet in a day at 10 minutes up/10 minutes down. Maybe some guys are going down faster than that but that's mathematically possible.

"over on the Warm Springs side you can get over 3000 feet per lap! And they're open 9-4 so that's 7 hours. So theoretically 7 hours at 3 laps per hour could get you 63,000 feet in a day at 10 minutes up/10 minutes down."

On a low speed lift, its pretty easy to beat the chair down. I've never checked it on a high-speed lift. Any idea how long a ride is on the Warm Springs Lift? Are the runs served by this lift conducive to straightlining?

"over on the Warm Springs side you can get over 3000 feet per lap! And they're open 9-4 so that's 7 hours. So theoretically 7 hours at 3 laps per hour could get you 63,000 feet in a day at 10 minutes up/10 minutes down."

On a low speed lift, its pretty easy to beat the chair down. I've never checked it on a high-speed lift. Any idea how long a ride is on the Warm Springs Lift? Are the runs served by this lift conducive to straightlining?

9min20sec to 9min30sec on lift for 3240 verticle feet--best time down is 3min 42sec---Lift is open from 9am to about 4:20 locals sometimes can get on the lift and ride up with an instructor at 8:30am. And it is a straight shot from the top of the lift to the bottom of the lift--no cat tracks--straight down--steep and fast.

For some reason I don't think of riding in terms of vf. I have been over 100 days each of the last two years and am pushing through 50 since the first of this year.

Most of my time is after work in the evenings so usually 2-3 hours on a pretty small hill which would never result in the big vertical numbers.

Even when I do run up to Whistler I am pretty cooked after half a day. I realize that I am not as young as I used to be and could always be in better shape...

Still, I have learned from other sports that quantity is almost never a subsitute for quality. After following many equipment and teqnique red herrings (some from this forum) over the last couple of years, I have made really great progress this year using the following system.

1. I have a great coach! I meet him once or twice a week and we work on specific problems/drills.

2. I warm up for several runs, about 40 minutes doing drills or easy turns until I am feeling good about the conditions and my legs start to loosen up.

3. I really focus on hard consistent turns in the best sections of the hill for about 40 minutes. With or with out my coach, I stop and consider the lines and think about what I am working on. We make videos during this phase.

4. The last forty minutes or so I use to make non stop medium effort runs to work on conditioning.

5. Hit the bar or the beer which I have cleverly left in the snowbank. This last bit does not help my riding but makes a perfect end to the day.....

Quality is important, there's no doubt about that, and taken to it's extreme you get those 24 hour races where the guys run DH skis and get in 200,000 feet in 24 hours or whatever, peeing in cat litter on the gondola. So most of us (I'm betting) would be like....where's the carve in that? I mean, once in awhile OK but 24 hours of nonstop straightlining? Well, OK, maybe once would be kinda cool.

My point is that quality does matter. But I think quantity matters too!