Note to New Members ×

Ok, evaluate this toe side

Bobby Buggs

I think you need to tell us a bit more about what you think it wrong or what's not going right. Your body position looks pretty good, your not breaking at the waist, your knees look ok, your head is up, your not reaching for the snow to much. So why do you think you have problems?

To me, it looks like maybe your sliding your turn, but we need to see more of you through out the turn. If you are sliding the turn, then why is that happening? You are leaning to far forward or maybe you bindings are forward, you could be dropping your rear foot. Where is the carve track in the snow? you should be on the edge and be smooth through the turn to leave one clean carve track in the snow.

Bear in mind as you read this that "those who can't do, give advice on the internet" But I think it depends more on what you are trying to achieve. If you're after a really styley fun freeride turn it looks perfect, If you're after a racer-head gate eater turn, you could angulate more to stack-up over your edge and bring that CG in to the board. If you're going for the EC style, you could get a one piece,speak French, and grow out your hair.!:biggthump If your tail is sliding out you could open up your back knee (away from the front) and drive more toward the snow.

you probably think your not squared up and angled the right way enough. I've been looking at more pic's and video this season than in the past and I find that I really have to correct my "ass high" riding style. Mine (pic #1) is very pronounced, but when I look at pic's like Jacks (pic #2), I see the (god forgive me for the next term....) "angulation" in his body and lack or opposite of it in mine (I realize Jack's pic is a heelside, but his toesides are a mirror image of that shot). Instead of keeping my upper body "quite" and letting my legs flow out from underneath me in a pendulum type action, I drive the turn and force myself down, but break at the waist which shoots my ass up and shoulders/upper body down. In pic 3# I feel a little bit better, but can still see my hips higher than I'd like them to be and I'm not "pinched" at the waist. You look really good in that toeside, but if I were to mention anything at all it would be that your not "pinched" at the waist like Jack is in pic#2. But hey, you'd probably smoke my ass anyday and I've seen video you've posted before of you carving and believe me, your at the "fine tuning" stage in your riding.

post-857-14184224854_thumb.jpg

post-857-141842248544_thumb.jpg

post-857-141842248545_thumb.jpg

Your shoulders were the first thing that I noticed also, get thy down hill hand away from the snow and go for that board edge and your shoulders will be more parallel with 'um slope. Keep a mental picture of Eric J's avatar in yo' cranium. It is something that I have been working on lately, along with breathing, lifting/pushing my toes, driving my feet foward to finish the turn...... nice inclination on the board!

mario

It looks good, but looks like you're dropping your inside shoulder a bit. This is very common, especially on toeside. I still find myself dropping that inside shoulder and reaching for the snow sometimes, and I'm working to correct it.

To help correct this, reach your other hand to the toe of your front boot. In the photo that hand is by your waist. If it were touching the toe of your front boot, you'd have to be more angulated and your shoulders more parallel to the slope.

Like this:

post-5572-141842248556_thumb.jpg

post-5572-141842248559_thumb.jpg

post-5572-141842248561_thumb.jpg

"A technical guy might say": Your right shoulder is dropped below the imaginary line that should extend from one shoulder through the other while parallel to the plane of the slope. To remedy this extend your right arm out toward the front of your down hill edge and raise your shoulder creating a straight imaginary line the is parallel to the plane of the slope. This can also be accompanied by creating more of an angle between your upper and lower body in your hip area.

My opinion: ride every day next week and the week after. You'll get it right eventually.