Note to New Members ×

BTS and extreme shin pain (input for adjustment needed)

Ernie00

I've been using my BTS for now 2 weeks and the results is no more hair on my rear leg Tibia. Looks like there it tons of pressure on it... and it hurts like hell when I ride. The more I ride the more it hurts... today I was a Jay peak and conditions were great in the woods with the Donek Ax but I had a hard time finishing my day because of the pain.

My boots are tight enough and I use to ride in Walk mode before the BTS... (Before walk mode I use to ride locked last year and no pain at all) and right now I'm definitaly considering going back to walk because 2-3 more times like this and it will most likely become a wound and then I'll be in trouble for a while. The front leg did it a little but it's not bothering me anymore.

Any suggestion on tweaking ? Should I make try to adjust to more Forward lean or rear lean ?

Thanks for the input

Are you riding flat in the rear? If you are not using any rear leg cant it might be contributing to the shin bang. Also do you have the rear boot set up without much foward movement? Your stance could be too wide and you are pushing into the boot too hard . You will have to experiment with different setings to fix this. I have a lot of foward movement in the rear boot and more foward lean in the rear.

That I've been riding in the walk mode for 11 years and no problems. Was thinking of trying BTS, but am just going to continue with status quo.

The yellow springs seem really soft (I have a set but have only put in the medium blues) and would give a lot of nice flex-obviously less than walk mode tho. The thing about walk mode that is funny is that it looks like just two little plastic tabs keep it from breaking on flexion yet yours have lasted for 11 years (!) I'd say get the BTS for safety but in your case maybe that doesn't apply.

I've been using my BTS for now 2 weeks and the results is no more hair on my rear leg Tibia. Looks like there it tons of pressure on it... and it hurts like hell when I ride. The more I ride the more it hurts... today I was a Jay peak and conditions were great in the woods with the Donek Ax...

Any suggestion on tweaking ? Should I make try to adjust to more Forward lean or rear lean ?

Thanks for the input

You are undoubtedly getting some movement and friction on the front of your back leg. Non?

Just to give your leg a chance to heal, there are some gel pack type pads that have some type of adhesive on and are very thin. Or some feminine product type of pad might work. Try placing them under your sock. Even a large non-stick gauze pad taped in place over the impact area under your sock.

Speaking of which what kind of sock are you using?

I have one pair that are so slick it's hard to imagine friction. Think they were wigwam ski specific with ankle bending bands ( no wad at the front of the ankle) and some other stuff that I like.

I would also consider, especially for woods riding, loosening that top strap or buckle a bit.

Without knowing the BTS I will offer a couple of thoughts.

Perhaps either a softer or stiffer spring. Softer to minimize resistance through the forward range of motion. Stiffer to limit the range of motion and the resulting friction from movement.

Just some thoughts.

Good luck.

I don't there is is much friction it's really pressure.. I'm trying to adjust the spring to change the forward lean. I'm going back to walk mode most likely until I receive the yellow springs and I hope this will fix everything.

I'm using the same soxes I've been using when I was riding in walk mode and or in locked more without any pressure.

I don't there is is much friction it's really pressure.. I'm trying to adjust the spring to change the forward lean. I'm going back to walk mode most likely until I receive the yellow springs and I hope this will fix everything.

I'm using the same soxes I've been using when I was riding in walk mode and or in locked more without any pressure.

Think the problem is that you always have been in walk mode. With other words, your bones/legs/shins aren't used to the pressure you have now. I think it has nothing to do with the BTS. May be you can get some shintronics from Manoove which helped me a lot.

Just my 2 cents.

We'll I've only started to ride 100% in walk mode this year.. last year was mostly locked until I rode with Joel at Aspen ! hehe.

I'll try things tomorrow but I'll have a hammer and a punch in my trunck so I can swith back to walk mode while I'm waiting for my yellow

We'll I've only started to ride 100% in walk mode this year.. last year was mostly locked until I rode with Joel at Aspen ! hehe.

I'll try things tomorrow but I'll have a hammer and a punch in my trunck so I can swith back to walk mode while I'm waiting for my yellow

Hope things will work out for you. Otherwise I can order some of the newest Shintronics overhere which will come out within two weeks (thinner than the former ones!).

Took 4 runs today and took the BTS off the boot .... and I'm officially back on the Walk mode until I get the yellow springs and I hope the feel as close as the walk mode as possible.

Right away my riding came back, started to carve hard on the ice and it felt good on Walk!

My shins are officially thanking me !

How much do you weigh? What boots do you have?

This happened to me on my HEAD boots with the BTS and blus springs. I put the stiffer tongue on the boot when I installed my BTS in case the springs were to soft. I expereinced shin pain on my back leg right away. I removed the stiff tongue for the softer one and the pain went away. I am 215, ride pretty agressive and use the blue springs on both top and bottom. I would also consider the booster straps as another member mentioned. I use the three strap version and they helped to snug everything up.

• 3 weeks later...