Note to New Members ×

Least crowded resort or resort area?

SWriverstone

Hi everyone---this is Scott, a longtime BOL member who hasn't been active here in a couple of years. (Some of you might remember me as the guy who kept everyone updated a few years ago on my wife Holly's hang gliding accident---she's doing fine by the way, and still hang gliding and carving!)

I still love carving, but I guess you could say over the past couple of seasons I've become somewhat resigned to the fact that for me (well, Holly too), the Mid-Atlantic simply isn't worth the time and money to try to (edit) ride a lot, as in several times a week.(/edit) (We're still active in the sport!) Our winters are just too short and too warm, and the tiny resorts are too crowded...and it's next to impossible to do the kind of slope-wide turns I want to do, because skiers in the Mid-Atlantic are simply not programmed to interpret someone going across the slope.

I know many carvers here (and possibly elsewhere) have developed an impressive "straightliner" carving style, that is, they basically go straight down a mountain carving really small, tight turns all the way (and thus being more "compatible" with straightliners on skis and freeride boards). I admire that ability, but it's not for me—I'm far happier spending as much time as possible going across the entire width of the slope, edge-to-edge...and that just doesn't work around here.

So it's taken me some time, but I've finally come around to doing what lots of others do---spend my time and money on one or two good, long carving trips to New England or out west somewhere.

Not a day goes by when I don't have fantasies of going someplace to carve where I'm almost alone on vast expanses of pristine corduroy...and able to do big turns to my heart's content all day long without ever having to worry about colliding with out-of-control straightliners! :)

So my question for BOLers is...what resort (or what general area with multiple resorts) have you found the most empty of crowds, regardless of day of the week or time of year?

I know there have to be some uncrowded places to carve out there...because I've seen pics here before (can't remember where) of people out carving on what appear to be virtually empty slopes! (And I remember gasping at the photos, wondering how such a mythical place could be real? LOL)

Empty slopes are what I'm after—I'll make it my life's quest! :D If I have to travel to the most remote places on earth or strictly ride during non-holiday work weeks, that's what I'm gonna do!

Thanks,

Scott

PS - I'm still hang gliding and, for the past couple years, have been motorcycling like crazy! Went for a little 5,000-mile solo ride to Newfoundland last fall. You can see pics here.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome back, scott

empty resorts...I may know some...but if I told you I'd have to shoot you :p

outside of holiday weeks, most of the new englend resorts are still pretty empty mid-week.

I was at Stowe the week of christmas and didn't have a problem with crowds until the friday of that week.

edit: the only place I know that fits your description all the time is the Yellowstone club - but you'd better have a net worth over $10mm

Scott,

Welcome back to posting and hopefully carving more. Really glad that Holly is doing well and back on the horse.

I was one of the lurkers that read your thread about the accident and glad you had a place to write about what was going on. I don't think it hurts at all to have strangers from across the country praying and pulling for your gal. :ices_ange

Sun Valley is my home mountain and the reason I stay here is that it is mostly uncrowded. I too love to go wall to wall when carving right now the mountain is in phenomenal condition and it seems to continue to be underused.

Sometimes I have to wait a minute or two here and there until the entire slope clears. By that I mean look uphill for a thousand or five hundred vertical feet and see absolutely no one - then I start. :biggthump

I never did play well with otheres in the sandbox either. Don't like to share my runs.

If you have not been here, you should try at least once. The runs here seem to be steeper on average than other resorts. That is something we here a lot anyway. "Your blues/greens are like the blacks/blues back home or in CO or....."

I like that, so you can carry speed enough for the fulll body grind if desired.

I haven't been there in a while, but I am trying to get to Big Mtn for their carve session next week. While not quite as long and continuous as SV, they have some pretty amazing groomed runs there as well. You can get fogged out for a few days here and there, which would suck if it was your few days. The winter I was there we had about 10% fog days, which usually meant it was snowing or just finished, which wasn't horrible either if willing to stick to the trees and edges of things.

Fall riding is the best. I loved the elephant graffitti rock. I'm no fan of spray paint, but that was awesome use of rock and paint. :biggthump

Again welcome back.

I hope to someday achieve this elevated status where your own supremely transcendent carving skills make the mere prospect of Mid-Atlantic riding somehow insufferably beneath you.

I bow to your skills.

Not sure if you're joking or not williamblake...but I'm far from having transcendent carving skills. :) It's not about being "better" than the Mid-Atlantic resorts. For me it's about a) value—e.g. quality of experience for money/time spent—and b) the ability to actually focus on what I'm doing—and thereby improve my carving—instead of having to always be looking over my shoulder. (I've been taken out more than once by an oblivious straightliner.)

Simple fact is, I think most people in the Mid-Atlantic (probably the most densely-populated region of the country) take mobs of people for granted. They just assume that's "how it is" and don't seem to care. I can't stand mobs and think just to knuckle under and accept them is wrong.

But hey, I'm only speaking for myself.

Scott

PS - In general, I've noticed that a person's willingness to tolerate mobs is highly dependent on that person's age. Most people I know who don't mind crowds are in their teens, 20s or 30s. By the time you're in your 40s, 50s and above, you've had enough of that sh*t. (If you're not there yet, trust me—you'll feel exactly the same way!)

I dream of empty lift lines that aren't constantly stopping because some two plank never-evers think they are to good to be stuck on the green runs. I'd love to ride wide, empty, well grommed runs with plenty of vert as well...

Sadly, being of humble means, I make the best of what I got locally here in the mid-atlantic, taking full use of the whole run when I can, tightening my line as needed to dodge other folks, bare spots and softbooters who like to stage mid run sit-ins that often dang near close off the whole run... the whole while telling myslef that these challenges sharpen my skills and that one day, I might be able to skip out on work for a 'mid-week' session .... while Dreaming of an actual trip out west :1luvu:

Guest lostinmaine

In Maine you have saddle back mountain it is just about the same time as going to Sugarloaf (this is also an empty resort midweek but dont be there on weekends or holidays), but it is much less crowded (kinda a local secret) It has nearly the same vert, it is a fully functioning resort, and has very new condos and base lodge. I spent 4 days there before xmass and the terrain was spectacular. the only down side right now is that they one have one double to the summit and if the wind is up (which i hear is a bit) you have to t-bar it all day. But overall i find this resort a steal in price with amazingly fun and divers terrain

i may now be shot for letting this secret out:AR15firin

Scott,

Welcome back to posting and hopefully carving more. Really glad that Holly is doing well and back on the horse.

Thanks for the good words carvedog. I did get out to a local (Mid-Atlantic!) resort (Whitetail) for the first time this season on Saturday. Got there at 8am, and it was really great for about 2hrs until the masses began surging from the lodge to the lifts...and I was outta there.

I definitely want to go somewhere, and Sun Valley sounds like a good option.

Scott

I dream of empty lift lines that aren't constantly stopping because some two plank never-evers think they are to good to be stuck on the green runs. I'd love to ride wide, empty, well grommed runs with plenty of vert as well...

Sadly, being of humble means, I make the best of what I got locally here in the mid-atlantic, taking full use of the whole run when I can, tightening my line as needed to dodge other folks, bare spots and softbooters who like to stage mid run sit-ins that often dang near close off the whole run... the whole while telling myslef that these challenges sharpen my skills and that one day, I might be able to skip out on work for a 'mid-week' session .... while Dreaming of an actual trip out west :1luvu:

Hi Petrol—my parents live in Richmond! I hear you...believe me, I've "paid my dues" at the Mid-Atlantic resorts over the past few years, and spent a few hundred hours on solid ice slopes—mostly at night—trying to avoid the crowds. and I'm not rich either.

Every winter it's a dilemma: pay-as-I-go? Or get a season pass? Problem around here is...you buy a season pass for $500 and then it's 50 degrees all winter. (It's happened.) Or you pay-as-you-go...and suffer a $50 hit each time (and if it's good, you've bought a season pass in just 10 outings).

It's tougher than parts of the country where a season pass is a sure bet value-wise.

Scott

Hi Petrol—my parents live in Richmond! I hear you...believe me, I've "paid my dues" at the Mid-Atlantic resorts over the past few years, and spent a few hundred hours on solid ice slopes—mostly at night—trying to avoid the crowds. and I'm not rich either.

Every winter it's a dilemma: pay-as-I-go? Or get a season pass? Problem around here is...you buy a season pass for $500 and then it's 50 degrees all winter. (It's happened.) Or you pay-as-you-go...and suffer a $50 hit each time (and if it's good, you've bought a season pass in just 10 outings).

It's tougher than parts of the country where a season pass is a sure bet value-wise.

Scott

Scott, I live in the westend of Richmond and agree with you on the season pass "value" here locally :smashfrea

While Wintergreen & Massanutten are 'only' 2 hrs from my door, both are pitifuly small and at best offer far to 'variable' of snow conditions for me the even consider a seasons pass.

BTW, even IF the snow conditions were GREAT, for long enough to justify a seasons pass, I easily tire of simply riding the same very small 'resort'.

I'm 45, I've done the bulk of my riding for the past decade on open piste in the Alps, and I've learned both the tolerance and adaptability that allow me to prefer to have my face in the wind (even when riding jersey, as I have this season) , as opposed to muttering about the crowds from the self-imposed, soft transcendent confines of my living room.

Trust ME- I feel exactly the opposite. At 45 years of age, for me, riding is riding, and I'll carve through any crowd, or ride during the quiet hours or on the steeper hills that the public avoids, rather than miss a season and complain, instead.:biggthump

Fair enough. Ever hear the boiling frog anecdote? Throw him in boiling water, he jumps out...but slowly turn up the heat, and he boils to death without even knowing it...the Mid-Atlantic is that beaker of boiling water. :)

I simply choose to avoid the fearful symmetries of crowded resorts. (And I guess Frost was an idiot for not taking the well-traveled road and liking it.)

Scott

No, I'm just sharing:D

This thread reminds me of the Harley T-Shirt guys who can't afford even a Sportster, but refuse to ride an affordable Japanese bike, so they don't actually ride....buut their officially-licensed Harley Davidson (reg. tm)shirt usually says: "Ride to live, live to ride":freak3:

I have two Japanese bikes: a KLR650 and a V-Strom 650. :D (BTW, no hard feelings williamblake...in all sincerity, I wish I could enjoy myself on crowded slopes, but I just can't. I've tried it many times!)

Scott

How do you know it's that beaker? you refuse to ride there.

On this board alone, there are at least two dozen accomplished carvers who call the Mid-Atlantic, and it's "crowded hills" home....and many of them are outstanding riders.

Many of them just get better and better, and really enjoy it more.

It's always easier to blameone's resistance to development (esp. as one gets older) on extraneous factors. Why not pick some quiet mornings at a resort near you to ride? Maybe try some expert terrain, where the crowds are fewer?

Matt Morison learned to ride at Oshawa Ski Club. Total vertical drop - 300 feet. Crowded always. And their bread and butter is beginners. Maybe Matt developed by using the newbies as gates.

Scott! Welcome back! I sometimes thought of you and Holly and wondered how you were doing, guess the relocation has worked out for you guys apart from the riding ... glad to hear that Holly is doing well.

I'm with you on the crowded slopes thing. It's no fun at all trying to link stuff around a bunch of gaping jibbers, while fearing for your life from bombing straightliners with their brains in their back pockets. I've had enough days on the hills in New Zealand's North Island to know exactly how that feels!!

Canada, by comparison, is just a dream. Huge wide open hills, you get the odd day on the weekends when it gets busy, but if you're planning a trip for a week or so, midweek you ride, slide down to the lift and jump on. I can highly recommend!!

I really hope you guys get out again sometime soon. Good luck!

williamblake - pull your head in, dude! You can choose to ride wherever you want and good for you if you enjoy it, but the vast majority of people, not just Scott, don't choose to ride on icy pimple hills populated by morons and gapers. It's even worse when you're only an intermediate trying to improve.

Scott's an intelligent and well liked member who hasn't posted for quite a while, and we'd like to welcome him back. We have enough idiots on this board to start in on anyone who asks a reasonable question. Don't be a moron all your life, take a day off.

Scott, I know how you feel. I grew up in PA... learning to ride at Roundtop, then living in the Poconos after college. Now, I live in Montana! I'll share my experiences with you about my move out west with carving in mind... take it for what it's worth!

I went to Sun Valley for my honeymoon in 1997. I was told that was the best place to go for carving. I did have fun, but in March it wasn't very sunny the week we were there! Finially on our last day, we were able to see where we were going and where we had been. Yes, I'd agree with CarveDog. The greens there were much steeper than any other greens I'd been on. Also, we hit some major cat tracks and my legs were just killing me at the end of the day. If it makes sense, that mountain was almosts too much for me to enjoy at that point in my life. If at all possible, where ever you end up going, try to find a local that can show you the best way to get around the mountain.

I've been to both Big Mountain and Big Sky in Montana. And if you want high price resort type atmosphere, both are great places. Even with all the runs to choose from, it seemed like it didn't take long to find my favorite runs and stick to them. Again, you can't beat having locals there to show you the way!

The best places I've found which are suitable to me (not too steep, good snow, good grooming) are some of the day areas around here. By that I mean, not so comercialized. I've been to Blacktail a few years ago which I liked, and now my favorite (ok, I'm a little biased since I work there) is Lookout Pass on the Montana/Idaho border. It's not a huge hill, but the grooming and the snow is great! The mountain is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, but they do rent it out on those days. I don't know how much it costs, but if you don't want any people around!!!! There is no logding at the mountain. The closest hotels are about 15 minutes away.

Like I said, these are my opinions.... take it for what it's worth. I'm sure anyone living out west has their favorite "smaller" mountains that also fit the bill.

Now come on WB! One harsh post and you quit? This is not the commitment you preach. It's just like someone saying it's crowded I wont ride...

We want you to stay.

Allee, play nice. Remember - no name calling.

Scott, welcome back! Good to hear from you again.

Boris

Thanks Allee, kinpa and others. It's good to be back! And williamblake, like I said (in spite of Allee's spirited defense of my posts), no hard feelings—stick around! :) We can all get along.

I've spent about 95% of my carving time at Whitetail in the Mid-Atlantic, mostly at night...and also on plenty of crowded days. As you pointed out, there's much to be gained from practicing the control needed to stay safe and have fun around mushrooms and straightliners. But after a while for me, it just stopped being fun. :confused: And you're right, you *can* find relatively uncrowded times (on a weekday morning, for example).

I've just reached a point where I'm ready to "reallocate" my carving dollars and hours, investing in fewer/better outings. Holly and I have every intention of relocating to Vermont or somewhere out west...but alas, we're still a couple years away from that (waiting on my daughter to graduate high school!).

For some, sports of any kind are a sharing, social experience...and for others, they're more of a solitary, peaceful experience. I guess I fall into the latter category, so seek places where I can find that.

I'm the same way with whitewater paddling. In the east, I avoid the Lower Yough on summer weekends or the Gauley during Gauley week because the rivers are jammed with rafts and hundreds of hardboaters.

Scott

Go west, VT or any of new england, will get boring after a while also.

And I agree If you are going to choose a spot to live and ride the Mid west- mid atlantic are my very last choice also. I am stoked that so many riders have a blast there, but I could not.

My wife and I have become bored with UT currently, and have been looking into Whistler after over a decade here. How ever the sweet wind and sick Kiteboarding in this area has rekindled our love for UT and we are staying for bit longer. I hardly ever wait in lift lines or deal with crowds here we have just outgrown the terrain and need more. I do however go hiking or kiting when the busy days are in full swing. Of course it holds true almost any where this side of the Mississsippi, Weekdays are sweet weekends can be a chore. Its all about your avalability and comitment.

Welcome back.

I've never ridden in the mid-atlantic and can't claim to know what it's like. I too, am crowd averse and though I make the best of each day, I do my best to avoid them.

Some things I've noticed, these apply in the Northeast, not sure how they apply in the mid-atlantic:

Inclement weather == no crowds, or fewer spores and joeys at least. Go when it's freezing ass cold out and dress warm.

11:00AM-2PM == fewer crowds due to the lunchtime rush.

If your mountain has multiple peaks, and one is further from the main lodge than the rest, start there and work your way to the main mountain during the lunch hour and back away when people return to the mountain from the lodge.

Have you been wearing your snowboard on your head again?

Or have you actually got off your prozac!

Remember what Jack said: " Don't treat new members like Shiite".

WB sure has a very good point. I have found most of his posts very credible.

Bola

http://www.allboardssports.com

1-303-415-1600

I think Allee is right on track.

WB comments like

I hope to someday achieve this elevated status where your own supremely transcendent carving skills make the mere prospect of Mid-Atlantic riding somehow insufferably beneath you.

I bow to your skills.

This thread reminds me of the Harley T-Shirt guys who can't afford even a Sportster, but refuse to ride an affordable Japanese bike, so they don't actually ride....buut their officially-licensed Harley Davidson (reg. tm)shirt usually says: "Ride to live, live to ride"

2 Hours Ago 07:49 PM

You're missing the point-

I, too, call a much larger, more open (Alpine) mountain home,

but that doesn't preclude my riding in the mid-atlantic during seasons such as this, when I'm stuck here.

time to lose the skirt

Seem like new members should respect the board also.

Go west, VT or any of new england, will get boring after a while also.

And I agree If you are going to choose a spot to live and ride the Mid west- mid atlantic are my very last choice also. I am stoked that so many riders have a blast there, but I could not.

My wife and I have become bored with UT currently, and have been looking into Whistler after over a decade here. How ever the sweet wind and sick Kiteboarding in this area has rekindled our love for UT and we are staying for bit longer. I hardly ever wait in lift lines or deal with crowds here we have just outgrown the terrain and need more. I do however go hiking or kiting when the busy days are in full swing. Of course it holds true almost any where this side of the Mississsippi, Weekdays are sweet weekends can be a chore. Its all about your avalability and comitment.

Welcome back.

Gosh Bordy...hard to imagine getting tired of UT! :eek: Then again, I can imagine that. And there's good kiteboarding in UT??? Where??? (On Great Salt Lake?) It's pretty legendary on North Carolina's Outer Banks too...:D

But I hear ya on things getting old...which is exactly why I've spent the last 20 years becoming at least a solid intermediate (if not expert) at whitewater paddling, flyfishing, bicycling, motorcycling, snowboarding, hang gliding, and drumming! :p I generally never get bored 'cause I've always got a sport to turn to...and it's impossible to get bored with *all* of those things in one location!

Scott