Note to New Members ×

hard boot choice or alternatives

Shred Gruumer

I just have so much trouble getting my deelux and UPZ to fit right.. and feel right...

Just wonder what people have found our have done as alternative to snowboard boots.. and gone to a ski boot..

I found the Dabello Krypton Pro that seem as a good alternative.. the center buckle is like the Raichle allowing forward flex with out the buckle its self to impead forward lean as the UPZ do... When ever i have used a boot design like that , when in hard carving when forward flex is maximum the boot buckles touch stopping any more lean and ultimately unbuckling ,.. It my experience that boots that have the mid buckle where the foward flex takes just doesnt work for me.. others might ride a bit different so it doesn't come to play..

Another reason is..I always had a better fit in a ski boot..

The Dabello krypton pro seems like a good alternative... the only other issue with the ski boot is that it throws you in a forward lean.. But the new freestyle boots seem a bit more upright which would make life easier instead of adding toe lift and what not..

Just wondering if people have been experimenting and or trying other boots out there..

check out the kryton pro...

Right said Schtubby..:freak3:

I actually use the Dalbellos. Models Carve-X, CRX and some others are the same as Blax / Head Stratos. Great boots, much better then narrow Flexon/Crypton IMHO. Lean, cant and ramp adjusters, Carv/Walk/Ski flex adjuster.

Other day I tried Carv-X on one foot and AF700 on the other and I could swear that Carv-X was the softer flexing boot.

I liked the older Nordicas too. 881 and similar.

post-1678-141842246022_thumb.jpg

Have you tried the Head boots? they are made by dalbello, shell seems very similar to the dalbello CRX boots but not as stiff, ski boot styled liner.

Yes, you should definately try the Head Stratos pro if you haven't. My feet never liked the Deeluxes/Raichle at all, but at home from start in my Heads.

Shred your best bet is to get your self a custom fit by Eric Beckman. Talk to Trailer Trash about it or Jack. He will get a boot to fit you. Or the other option is buying a new liner from Startingate. They have an awesome liner that is superior to the Raichle Thermos and they will heat mold it for you. I know a few riders that had problems with the stock liners and have had huge sucess with Intuition liners, but the real good ones are the Delbello.

Thats it YYK Von zipper Im not talking to you anymore!!:)

Guys... the head boots are exactly what I complain about ...look at the middle instep buckle there is no room for any compression.. a good compression is like the Raichle Flexon or the Delux.. they use a twin cable that allows boot compression. Thats why Im looking at the Krypton...

Any way the linner does have some issues..I think the Deelux thermos Sux ass schit...

So what brand does the starting gate carry...????:confused:

Im gonna go for new boots at the end of the season.. but Im between a 27.5 and 28..

I either got to stretch the toe box or squeeze the toe box.. I worked on my liners last night and padded the sides by the ankle ,, I mean I had to use a ton..but it now seems that it worked,, keeping my back heel from sliding up and down the boot.. which is half of the problem..keeping that heel in the pocket when Im gettin the down low on the carve...:)

Will see right now my foot is the size of a football... got the gout!! No im not Irish..! and I heard all the jokes..but if you got some gout jokes go for it.. Feels like someone smashed my foot with a sledge hammer..

Ouch said Shred..

Shred, I understand you, I'm still having a heel lift in one boot even with new boots (track 700 with thermoflex) which are smaller than the previous ones(MP27.5 to 26). Seems that I have thin ankle ...

Anyway i'm going to see the "best bootfitter" in my area this weekend. Maybe I need a MP26 in the left foot and a MP25 in the right one .

The dalbello seems to have a buckle just at the neck of the foot (babelfish translation here) to keep the heel down. I did not find the Carve model on their web site.

Oh and if you do may I take her for a Run?? Please:ices_ange

Sure you can... but I have to have my 'babies' back from you while you do!! That should be interesting to see... surf style on a 196.

Actually, Andrea & I won't be coming to SES. Sad, but true. We're still in the midst of a major renovation on our house. $$$$ and time are probably better spent on a warm dry house rather than a snow vacation this year.

Try this at home.. if you have foam tape..

On each side of the ankle I used 1/8" thick and 3/4 inch wide double faced tape that you find anywhere...I put it above the ankle , I laid down about three strip high and took it from on side to the other and put three layers down..then covered it in all important duct tape.. it worked really well.. each foot is different.. but I seen enough boot fitting that I didn't need to have to pay someone you can do at home...it ain't that hard..it ain't rocket science. I was also looking at the Company Called Enerpak which sells a Hydraulic cylinder kit along with pump..so I can do all my own boot stretching.. but at $600 for the Kit...I'll do it the old fashion way... skinned knuckles and lots of blood...

Once I started to feel what was working with the foam placement I added to it till I felt comfortable and secure... ain't pretty but sure feels a ton lot better...

They do make pre cut heel foam thingys that you can adhear to the liner.. once you see them used then you can make them ..or buy them..... they wrap aound the liner from one side to the other right above the ankle.. thats kinda how I knew how to stop the heal from sliding up and down the boot.. it compacts the liner creating a deeper heel pocket..

Kant wait till I try em... its not winter hear yet,, still waiting for snow.. maybe some day...

Right said Shred

I’m not a boot fitter by ANY stretch of the imagination, so take this advice and use it with all due caution. I know what works for me… trying to diagnose someone else’s problems is not my bag. I haven’t seen Kent post here lately but I hope he chimes in about this.

I’ve noticed major heel movement can be a problem on the rear foot during toe side turns if the ankle bone (talus) isn’t aligned with the boot cuff pivot.

Take your liner out of your boot and take note of where the boot pivot hardware is making a mark on each side.

Put the liner on your foot and check if your ankle bone (talus) is at the same point in your liner as the pivot of the boot.

If the talus is too low… possible fix is to put some sort of long wedge under the liner to raise it. Another possibility is to get an orthotic made (noting the height requirement) and put that in your liner.

If the talus is too high… possible fix is to buy another brand of boot that has a higher pivot point! Not so simple fix is to lower the height of your talus. You might be able to compress the liner under your heel if you have heat moldable liners.

If the talus is too far forward… possible fix is padding on front of liner.

If the talus is too far back… possible fix is padding on back of liner.

I think what happens is when the talus is not aligned with the pivot (especially if too low) the foot is pulled back and upward when the cuff is flexed forward. I noticed that leaving the cuff of my boot loose, I have less heel movement than if I over tighten.