Note to New Members ×

Stance splay

BlueB

When I started with alpine, one of brake-throughs came when I aligned the bindings to the same angle. I was able to hook up / lock-in better. It was harder to skid, too.

Nowadays, I tend to like more and more splay. I still can lock in when I want to, but it seems to be easier to get out of the carve or skid turns when needed. It seems that it improves my range of motion and flex too. On some of AM boards I ride up to 10deg of splay, still carving good.

Probably I'm affected a bit by riding softies a lot more recently, too?

Pureboarding crew onto something really good?

Anyhow, what's general thoughts on this?

I think it really varies from person to person.

When I was racing, everyone was using a pigeon-toed stance (mine was 53/50 rear/front

when I came back to hardboots after a few years of softies and some major injuries, I started with about 10 degrees of splay like 45/55 rear/front. as I moved to skinny boards I couldn't keep that same degree of splay and moved to about 3 degrees apart. I now ride 65/65 on my madd 170 and it is the most comfortable I have been on a board.

I started out this season at 48f/45r which is what I spent most of last season at....that didn't last though and I'm up to 54f/51r with about 1-2* of lift in the front and 4-5* in the rear. I'm comfortable with about 3-5* of splay anymore and my knees complain, same if I go parallel

I like about 10* +/-. As much as 15, 20/35 on a powder board to as little(for me) as 7, 43/50 on narrow carver, 2*-3* inward cant, no lifts. flat is too little, 6* is too much.

Can't do paralell, tried out a squawl & felt like was always tripping, but I can link turns on one ski with either foot:confused:

That machine looks fun!

However, I'm not trying to find my stance - I pretty much can ride anything from 20 splay to 3 pigeon, as long as I'm on ~19" stance with some toe/heel lift.

Just wanted to hear what effects of splay were for other people...

'been playing with this over the years and the conclusion that I've come to is that a wide variety of stance widths can be comfortable - the wider I go, the more splay I use.

Currently using no splay, 19.5" stance width, angles at 48 on my 21.5 waists to 60 on my 18 waist... 30.5" inseam... if you've reads my posts over the years you know I change my stance almost every year!

I ride most of my boards with a -5 deg on rear. Also, I find as I get older I tend to not tweak with bindings or set up so much, I find the sweet spot and leave it alone. Maybe I am in a rut - no pun intended - I have not bought a new board in 2-3 seasons either.. Maybe I need an intervention. :biggthump

I highly doubt for the average hardbooter anymore than 10 deg splay is gonna help them any.

also, if you have 10 degrees of splay and you don't boot out it means that you're riding angles that are too high in the front!

I also used to ride pigeon toed, a racer at a US Open told me to try and I liked it and rode that way for a couple years, that stance I got rid of the same year I got rid of my virginity.

these days I usually feel best with 3 to 6 degrees of splay.

i'd recommend this:

www.cre8iv-uk.com

this was invented by my team copper race snowboard coach Sean Maccarron. won award for it in europe (germany, i believe).

wow !

Keeeeewwwwwwl (bart simpson voice) :eplus2:

tech tech tech tech tech tech :confused:

six shots of Jager, please !

WB, where ya been all these years ?

Great tech info, seriously :biggthump

yeah, I I liked the way it sounded it originally was I got rid that stance two years after I lost my virginity. 97 or so. the edit was just to make it sound more wry.

BTW I also lost my virginity at my second US Open.

Snowboarding rocks

it gets you laid