Loveland Carving Session

big mario

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey everyone- Enjoyed the heck out of the LES yesterday. Thanks to Stan, Bola, Mario and everyone who contributed to a fine finish to my week in CO. Good place, fine food and great people- what more could a new carver want (besides stronger legs)?

LC

were you the guy who was trying out the hardboots for the first time? and talking to bola about gettin accustomed to the boots while bola and i (blue jacket with pink beanie) were working on my board ? either way, welcome to hardbooting. :)

Thanks, everyone! I had a blast -- it was great to ride with everyone.

I shot a little bit of video, here it is:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWtShiAY2UY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWtShiAY2UY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Cheers,

tom.

Here a few photos:

Bola brought boards from Dupraz, Prior, Virus, SG, Coiler, Phiokka, F2, Nidecker, Oldenburg, and Kessler. Bindings were provided by Bomber.

Inkaholic helping Bola set out the demos:

100_1188.jpg

Monodude with his new ride:

100_1189.jpg

100_1190.jpg

The star of the show:

100_1191.jpg

Narcissus admiring his reflection:

100_1192.jpg

Thanks to Mario, Bola, Fin, Stan, and everyone who came and braved the elements. A ski rack filled with carve boards greeted us at 8:30.

A totally low-key, high spirit gathering of 20+ riders of all experiences and abilities, we even had a mono-skier(!)

Big Mario laid out a gourmet barbeque lunch. Thanks, Big--the Chocolate Chipotle was awesome!

Conditions: Good light, even some sun peeking out now and then. Snow, nice and grippy, smooth, but a little slow. Weather.... well, as the Lovey faithful like to say, it's cold, but at least it's windy. Trust me, it was both.

Great to catch up with old friends and make new ones. I wasn't at all on my A game, but it was super fun to watch a bunch of rippin' good carvers blowing the gapers' minds.

See y'all in Aspen...

great to see all the carvers at loveland; thanks for coming

except for the high winds, frigid temps, and "subtle" light,

it really reminded me of buttermilk

come back anytime: we're at lift 1, when it opens, most

weekends

special thanks to mario and the bola-man

pc

It's amazing what a run looks like after a dozen plate riders have had their way with it...

Mario GREAT food. that was a lot of effort to go to for a bunch of carving bums. I enjoyed hanging with all of you guys.

Bola, It's good to see someone stand behind their sport and enjoy it so much.

I hope to ruin, (I mean carve) some more runs this year with you guys.

Don

Feed the addiction...

It's amazing what a run looks like after a dozen plate riders have had their way with it...

Mario GREAT food. that was a lot of effort to go to for a bunch of carving bums. I enjoyed hanging with all of you guys.

Bola, It's good to see someone stand behind their sport and enjoy it so much.

I hope to ruin, (I mean carve) some more runs this year with you guys.

Don

Feed the addiction...

Don,

Can you give us more info on the custom monoboard?

Who made it, specs, etc?

Also are those modified trench diggers for bindings?

Lastly do you remember riding with a couple carvers in May'ish 2006 at A-Basin? That's the only monoboard I've ever seen on a mountain. It was me and Tom Palka on plates with another one of my NM softboot friends.

Cheers,

JPW

Yes, it is the Berserker. Bola and LeeW rode it.

Im kinda racer-oriented, but I must say Im real impressed by the good "dialing-in" on this particular board. not accustomed to the length most likely because ive been riding my madd 158 and been spoiled for too long.

however, i must say this board's already on potentional buy. im sorta slowly "retiring" from racing tho I enjoy the adrenalin rushes. the berserker did gave me a bit of a rush, too. :biggthump

EDIT: I admit I am at the current stage of debating on purchasing either a race board or recreational board (which the berserker falls in -- according to Bola). not both cuz i gotta worry about parts for my motorcycle, too. :-/

Hey JPW,

I do remember you guys. I think we only made a couple of runs then got seperated. Anyway my new board is mfg by Yama,www.yamatools.com based in Ridgecrest Cali. Their home mtn is Mammoth. The board specs: 170 cm long, Effective edge 166cm. waist 21cm, tip/tail 27cm. 10 m turn radius. Bindings are Bomber Skiboard bindings, very nice.The're isn't anything remotely like it in the monoski world. They call it the"Tool" instead of a monoski. It is STIFF and for a Mono it rocks. It also skiis different than any other carving I've done on mono's, So I have to unlearn habits formed over the last 2 1/2 years and prolly 180 days. This board likes to be ridden dead center. All the other mono's like to initiate on the tip, set in the middle, and finish on the tail. All of my mono carving experience on mono's has used this method and it may take awhile to unlearn or relearn as the case may be.

Don

Feed the addiction...

Hey JPW,

I do remember you guys. I think we only made a couple of runs then got seperated. Anyway my new board is mfg by Yama,www.yamatools.com based in Ridgecrest Cali. Their home mtn is Mammoth. The board specs: 170 cm long, Effective edge 166cm. waist 21cm, tip/tail 27cm. 10 m turn radius. Bindings are Bomber Skiboard bindings, very nice.The're isn't anything remotely like it in the monoski world. They call it the"Tool" instead of a monoski. It is STIFF and for a Mono it rocks. It also skiis different than any other carving I've done on mono's, So I have to unlearn habits formed over the last 2 1/2 years and prolly 180 days. This board likes to be ridden dead center. All the other mono's like to initiate on the tip, set in the middle, and finish on the tail. All of my mono carving experience on mono's has used this method and it may take awhile to unlearn or relearn as the case may be.

Don

Feed the addiction...

Yeah I think you were on a older VAS or something along those lines. I'm surprised you actually remembered that day! Yeah we seemed to of gotten split up rather quickly. Blame Tom Palka as he rides much harder than me!

Your new setup is sick. Very interesting tail section. I'm reading about the tail on their site right now.

Are you heading to SES this year? I might have to call in sick one day and make the 15 hour (round trip) drive to Aspen...

Hope to make some turns with you again someday.

Oh yeah it was bluebird skies and the best cord this year at AF this past Sunday. I think it was in the low 30's as well. I had to open the vents in the jacket and remove a layer at lunch. You CO boys are jealous I'm sure...so jealous in fact I'm sure you want to come on down to NM and make some turns with me this coming Sunday! ;)

JPW