Note to New Members ×

Shout out to my Bro's

big mario

A really big thanks

Just wanted to Thank D.t, Ink, Shelly, and Pc denver for all of your help and concern today after my little unplanned high speed foray into the woods. Damage to me: concussion, chipped elbow, bruised sternum and clavicle and no new brain damage. One brandy new helmut trashed. Loveland Ski Patrol and Clear Creek EMS, thank you so much for your wonderful care. I dodged a serious bullet today, and am very thankful. D-Sub, I liked the helmut, it did its job, and will now go on the wall as a reminder of my good fortune.

mario

Helmets are certainly the least expensive of all insurances. The ratio of helmet expense to medical bills averted is almost incomprehensible in disparity. To say nothing of continuing with one's life as normal. Nice of you to thank everyone involved in your care but don't slight yourself because ultimately you are the one that decided to put it on. Well done. Live to ride another day.

"had one of my most rippin' runs to shipping up to boston today."

tunes crankin' in the brain bucket, mario ?

glad yer OK, stay in "complete control" brutha

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXBY5nJDz_k&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXBY5nJDz_k&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Mario, Stay on the trail, the boards work better there!

I donate the first beer* to Mario at the SES in Feb :biggthump

* some restrictions apply: 10oz glass, domestic tap, during happy hour or two for one, you cover the tip, and you have to listen to my stories of "the glory days".

Big M

Glad you're okay bro. sounds ugly. You were with some good guys that took care of you. It happens sometimes. I've been there and PC and I were with Casturita once over at BC when he took the unexpected run through the trees. Take care and I'll see you when you are over on this side of the Divide.

JoelP

And now for a few sketchy details.

I had put away my axxes for a few runs on my big f2, it is a nice smooth, board and things were getting a little chopped up. It was the last run on an easier slope, and I suspect I put the hammer down to grab a clean window on a slope that was starting to get really crowded. Dan is right, I am not a "petite flower" but built more like a middle linebacker that likes beer too much, and I tend to push it a bit at times. As I said earlier I don't remember much of the run, but from a "forensic bruise and ache analasys" I have come up with the following scenario: I was in a toeside turn coming across the trail heading for the trees like we all do everytime we are out. I loaded the nose, then buried it, and got catapulted over the bars and into the trees. I hit my left elbow on something hard, putting a verry small fracture in it( no cast needed) and hit my chest, driving my ZUNE into my sturnum and right pec. That left a mark. The thing still works!! From there I smacked the back of my head on something immoveable and out went the lights. I vaugely remember hearing Iggy Pop singing "Punkrocker" in the distance, and then I woke up on a gurney in ski patrol. I then got chauffererd down I-70 to a hospital a mile or two from home, so that was kind of nice, traffic was pretty bad. Bryan, ther is no real damage to show, other than the goggle clip being broken, but I have never been knocked that silly in my life (though a few people I know might debate that) so I know that brain bucket is done. I have used up a few mtb lids in my time, and this one replaced one that had three seasons on it, I wont ride without one :1luvu::1luvu::1luvu:

Dan, I don't think we will ever know what happend to that tree, but I will try to avoid all of them in the future.

see you on the hill fairly soon,

mario

Mario, photo of the helmet please
Only minor damage on the outside of the shell - a couple of minor scuffs, a roughed up goggle buckle, and a damaged goggle strap. I did not remove the liner on the inside to check the foam for crush damage.
glad yer OK, stay in "complete control" brutha
funny coincidence that The Clash is one of his favorite bands, probably second to Social D.
Though I try not to be one that gawks at car accidents, when you get to feeling like it, I'd be interested to hear the details.
big mario won’t be able to tell you (he cannot remember much from yesterday late morning/early afternoon) and no one else saw it.

Here is what I can tell you:

Mario cruised the catwalk around from the top of Lift #1 to Mambo. I dropped down through the steeps and bumps to the top of Mambo and sat down. Mario came by, railed a big toeside and buried the nose of the board in the soft stuff. He sat there for a minute with a big a$$ed grin, shaking the snow from his goggles and helmet, as we have seen many times before. He popped up and started down Mambo again. At that point, he was masked by trees and a roller. I sat there for a minute longer, waiting on ink’ and John. They didn’t show so I popped up and started down after big mario. A few turns down I buried the nose and went down in the middle of the run. Ink’ and John went by at that point.

Ink’, John and I met-up where the trail forks towards Homerun and the base. I looked around for Mario, surprised that we was not there waiting for us. After 80+ days riding with Mario, we would always say something or make a gesture as we passed the other signaling that we were going ride all the way to the bottom.

We rode down to the base. Mario was nowhere to be found. We could see his car, he was not there; he was nowhere. At that point I knew he was in the trees and expected the worst. My mind kept racing, thinking about Ink’s run-in with some trees several years ago where he wound up in the hospital for 12 weeks, then there was Tilledog’s incident with the trees a couple years ago.

Ink’, John, Jeff and Shelly made a lap looking for him; I waited at the bottom. They returned, no one saw him. Ink’, John, Jeff and I made a second lap, looking for tracks headed into the trees, while Shelly waited at the bottom. No sign of Mario. Shelly tried calling Mario for the third time. At that point I decided it was time to walk over and ask Ski Patrol for help. Before I got away, Mario answered his phone, he was out of it. Patrol had found him and brought him down the hill on a snowmobile. Patrol was giving him the once over. He was sore and very disoriented, but able to communicate where he was. I would guess that the total time from when I saw him on the hill last to us walking into the Patrol building was 20 minutes.

Mario’s bp and pulse were fluctuating so Patrol decided to send him down the mountain in an ambulance. He called he when they were a couple of blocks from the hospital. It was obvious that he was himself again.

My guess is that Mario got locked-in on an edge, don;t know which, and launched into the trees. Based on the timing, I think that while I was picking myself up after burying the nose, he was probably directly behind me, 20 feet away, in the trees.

To this point I am still sick to my stomach knowing that he was in the f%&ing trees and I/we could not find him. :(

This is one of the reasons I don't really like riding by myself. It's too easy on an alpine rig to lock in something and find yourself heading in entirely the wrong direction - or cop an unexpected edge and eat mountain big time.

Glad you're OK, Mario ... prizes for you for the first big "bite" of the season. Heal fast.