Note to New Members ×

Jail time and lashes for you!

Guest KrudKarver

Guest KrudKarver

Anybody want to voice their thoughts on whether or not insulting a religion should be a crime? (in re: to "mohammed the teddy bear" story.)

It IS ok to name your child Mohammed, thou, right? What if the child is severely disabled? Would that get you jailed? What if M.Ali consistently got the crap beat out of him.. would the muslims seek to have his name changed?

What about a pet?

I admit to not understanding the issue from the Muslim perspective...or why they'd get THAT upset.

?

Muslim just seems like a particularly humourless religion. They can sling all the insults they like at every other religion, but do it back and you'll get your throat cut... at least the Catholics just huff and puff.

Guess some people just don't understand the concept of playing nice with others.

Anybody want to voice their thoughts on whether or not insulting a religion should be a crime? (in re: to "mohammed the teddy bear" story.)

It IS ok to name your child Mohammed, thou, right? What if the child is severely disabled? Would that get you jailed? What if M.Ali consistently got the crap beat out of him.. would the muslims seek to have his name changed?

What about a pet?

I admit to not understanding the issue from the Muslim perspective...or why they'd get THAT upset.

?

If Mohamemed wouldn't want a teddy bear named after him, then he stick his uptight nose right up his sphincter. The thing to know is that the "fundamentalist" muslims are even more crackpot than the fundamentalist Christians. I am Christian and don't even know what planet some of these folks are from here in my own country. Add in repressive political regimes, extreme, extreme poverty in Sudan and a whole bunch of religious dogma and brainwashing, sprinkle liberally with a lack of education and you have a very nasty cake.

at least the Catholics just huff and puff.

Yeah - and this never happenned:

http://www.corvalliscommunitypages.com/Europe/jesuits_saints_inquisition_reformation/an_inquisition_torture_session.htm

http://www.corvalliscommunitypages.com/Europe/jesuits_saints_inquisition_reformation/regrettable_life.htm

The inquisition wasn't that long ago...perhaps the Muslims are just 300 years behind the catholics?

This just showed up on my google homepage:

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa/11/30/sudan.bears/?imw=Y&iref=mpstoryemail

For ****s sake. I can't believe how ****ing uptight these *******s are. Killing someone...because your students decided they want to call a teddy bear Mohammed? **** off bloodheads. If anything they're the ones inciting hatred against themselves.

The inquisition wasn't that long ago...perhaps the Muslims are just 300 years behind the catholics?

True! I was meaning in terms of today, although the current Pope seems to think that we should all return to the dark ages...

Jim, I hear you ... I never saw the point either.

You can insult me, I am a big boy and can take it!! When you really dig into the beginnings of Islam, you find some interesting things. Like how you can take Yahweh (Hebrew) reverse it, compress it, and come up with Allah in Arabic. And the leaders know it. And Jews and Christians were a strong influence on Mohammad.

To play devil's advocate, I'll point out that she was a guest in this country (Sudan) and she should have been aware of the local customs and laws.

What do you think of this man's transgressions?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6440645.stm

Are Thais a**holes and ***kers and whatever else Muslims have been called in this thread?

This just showed up on my google homepage:

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa/11/30/sudan.bears/?imw=Y&iref=mpstoryemail

For ****s sake. I can't believe how ****ing uptight these *******s are. Killing someone...because your students decided they want to call a teddy bear Mohammed? **** off bloodheads. If anything they're the ones inciting hatred against themselves.

Thanks Justin, I don't know about anybody else, but I didn't really know what was going on.

Even now though, there's gotta be something going on that we don't know about. I mean, usually I can at least begin to understand why people think what they do, but this makes absolutely no sense. What about all the PEOPLE named Mohammed? If you ask me, it's almost like a compliment. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

At the college I used to go to there was this hippy... Obviously stoned every second he can be. But he walked around in bare feet, had long hair and a long beard and was just plain gross, but everybody on campus knew him as Jesus. He didn't pick the name Jesus, it was just a way to describe him to others. Now I'm a christian (albeit, not the best of them), but this in no way offends me. I don't think he's The Savior or the son of God. Its jsut a funny thing to call him.

You guys ever hear of The Ten Commandments?

#2 on the list is:

You shall not make for yourself any idol, nor bow down to it or worship it.

The Islamic law that forbids the rendering or depiction of the prophet Muhammad is based on that Commandment. You can call a person Muhammad but you can't call a teddy bear Muhammad because then you are creating an idol. This is a basic tenet of Sharia law. It takes about 5 minutes of research to understand this.

I don't know how this person who lived and worked in Sudan would not understand this law. Would she sunbathe in a bikini in a local park? I mean, that's okay in London so why not?

Most are not. Most are very nice people. However, they're trapped in a sub-optimal cultural equilibria, leading to some ****ing stupid laws.

I can say the *exact* same thing about fundamentalist Christians. Remember, the Scopes Trial was only 60 years ago and there are huge numbers of people in the West who believe in Intelligent Design. How stupid is that?

I can say the *exact* same thing about fundamentalist Christians. Remember, the Scopes Trial was only 60 years ago and there are huge numbers of people in the West who believe in Intelligent Design. How stupid is that?

So you don't believe in Intelligent design? Or think that people who do are stupid? Please clarify.

So you don't believe in Intelligent design? Or think that people who do are stupid? Please clarify.

I'm saying if there are people who think Islamic law is stupid, there are plenty of people who think Intelligent Design and other Fundamentalist Christian concepts are equally stupid.

Stupidity is in the eye of the beholder.

My personal opinion matters not.

I'm saying if there are people who think Islamic law is stupid, there are plenty of people who think Intelligent Design and other Fundamentalist Christian concepts are equally stupid.

The idea of a religion creating law is stupid. IMHO. And if your opinion matters not why take up the bandwidth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailertrash

Man, I know this thread isn't against the rules but is it going to go anywhere good?

No, it isn't.....

In view of the direction here I guess I should ditto +1 and bow out.

100% right

where I stand on this is that anyone who has allot to say about muslims but is a jew or a christian has no real place saying anything because muslims use all three books just like christians use two and mormons use three.

now, fundementalists are a problem in all three religions. look at this country, there are people trying to claim that creationist ideas are just as sound as scientific data and even though we're supposed to keep church and state separate that we should teach the jewish version of how the world was created to 5th graders.

Abortion clinic bombers.

the texas republican party openly admits that they want to push a theocratic agenda "biblical law is a good thing, the american people are a christian people and as such we should use the bible to create law." Tina J. Benkiser is the owner of that choice tidbit.

I guess that means in TX it's gonna be a good time for men! polygamy! oooooooooooohhhhhh yeahhhhhh!