Note to New Members ×

Buying / selling alpine gear

John E

BOL classifieds, eBay or Craigslist

What do you think works best? For seller? For buyer?

Certainly BOL has the highest concentration of enthusiasts but unless one creates a link to eBay, it does not provide the auction aspect & somewhat limits the audience.

I prefer buying directly through bol. I'm not much of a fan of ebay for some reason. I'm not sure why, but I think its evil. I've never even dealt with craigslist, and frankly, I'm scared of change.

Thanks for the reply, but my name isn't Frankly

(a little Airplane-esque humor there...)

ebay = best exposure, but mostly cheapskate bargain hunters

craigslist = 2nd best exposure, but limited alpine audience, TONS of flakes

BOL = best alpine exposure, but full of tire kickers and flakes in addition to the cheapskate bargain hunters that thing anything more than $100 for a board is too much.

I used to sell stuff on eBay but I'm turned off it lately. Seller fees have increased enormously. Too many deadbeat bidders. Even people who pay can hassle you after the sale.

Craigslist is a viable option if you want to sell locally but doesn't work for carving gear for obvious reasons. BOL all the way.

Selling: BOL all the way. If something doesn't sell, sometimes I list it on eBay.

Buying: I do both BOL and eBay.

On BOL I am generally not going to buy something over $50 from someone unless they have built up some credibility, through any of the following means:

-Longtime member

-Recommended by longtime member (including pro racers that Bordy puts in a good word for)

-Seen smooth transactions from member before (i.e., I look up previous posts by that seller in the classifieds and look for signs of smooth transaction)

I've only had one transaction go south here, some of you may remember a certain goofy asym FP 157 that I was told was a symmetric board. I'm regular BTW). And even on that one I only wound up losing $20 since I found someone who wanted it with full and tyotal disclosure on what it was, plus an hours worth of tuning :)

On eBay I use the feedback and if my gut says "don't bid" I listen to it.

re:I've only had one transaction go south here, some of you may remember a certain goofy asym FP 157 that I was told was a symmetric board. I'm regular BTW).

JACK!!! BUSTED!!!!

Naw, this was a fellow who was banned several times by the mods. I had tried to resolve the situation via email, but after being ignored for a week and change while he was still posting on other threads here, I called him out.

The sad and unfortunate truth that he was and perhaps still is a pro racer... and to my knowledge, the only one who has ever come to BOL and deserved to be treated like crap... and he TOTALLY brought it on himself.

Naw, this was a fellow who was banned several times by the mods. I had tried to resolve the situation via email, but after being ignored for a week and change while he was still posting on other threads here, I called him out.

The sad and unfortunate truth that he was and perhaps still is a pro racer... and to my knowledge, the only one who has ever come to BOL and deserved to be treated like crap... and he TOTALLY brought it on himself.

F****y A****a I think, I remember that. I have bought a few things here, traded afew, and sold a few, on the whole a positive experience though I do owe someone in canada a few beers at ses due to an error on my part.

mario

That's the guy. Sad to say, he's a Canadian. I emailed him several times about his gear but my spidey sense told me not to deal with him.

C'mon now, let's have some specifics...no snow and a bit cold to sail today ?

BTW I found that Up-Yours-Bucati pic ( of Jack perhaps? ) the other day and just wanted an excuse to post it here.

I always use ebay for selling alpine gear. Usually best price and least hassle. Fees are part of life.

But if I have something a BOL-er needs I'll hook them up..Good kharma.

I've used ebay a few times and I've had never had a problem. Mostly it's been bindings, but I did buy a Wild Duck Knifer once (the skinny stiff version) and when it arrived, there was $40 in cash taped to the board with a note from the guy saying that he thought that I had paid too much. I couldn't believe it. Alpine riders seem to be pretty good people.

Buy - both

Sell - just here

I really dislike selling on ebay...but I'll do it if I can't get a response here.

I will say that I wish this place had a similar policy as some other sites that you have to be a member for some minimum amount of time and have a few posts before you can sell gear...

too many 1st post "hi, I'm new but buy my sh!t" posts lately...and I don't care if it's Jasey Jay selling his one time used Coiler for $25, if I don't know who you are I'm not buying...unless you are known by another member...kinda like Mike T said

Buy - both

Sell - just here

I really dislike selling on ebay...but I'll do it if I can't get a response here.

I will say that I wish this place had a similar policy as some other sites that you have to be a member for some minimum amount of time and have a few posts before you can sell gear...

too many 1st post "hi, I'm new but buy my sh!t" posts lately...and I don't care if it's Jasey Jay selling his one time used Coiler for $25, if I don't know who you are I'm not buying...unless you are known by another member...kinda like Mike T said

Three other rules that should be considered:

- it must be your item and must be on hand (no selling for a friend)

- item must have a price

- no links to eBay sales

All three of those rules are pretty common and save hassle and time wasting.