Note to New Members ×

too much overhang in this soft boot setup?

Guest AllMountain

Guest AllMountain

what do you think of the setup photographed below?

angles are 30/15. there's definite overhang, but there's enough lift that it seems like you could get pretty far up on edge before boot-out.

i tried going as high as 39 degrees, but still had some overhang. i'm thinking i'd have to go to 45 degrees or more to eliminate all overhang. but then i'd probably need cant, which would mean another cash outlay, for catek FR2's.

i'm thinking of starting out with these angles, and then slowly raising them, if necessary.

SoftSetup-SideView.jpg

SoftSetup-FrontFootToe.jpg

SoftSetup-FrontFootHeel.jpg

SoftSetup-BackFootHeel.jpg

SoftSetup-BackFootToe.jpg

SoftSetup-TopView.jpg

If I've taken anything away from this forum, it's that there is no substitute for riding. If you think it'll be alright as it is, ride it... Ride it all day like that. Then at the end of the day if you think something needs to be changed, change one thing. Just one small change at a time.

looks fine to me, I'd suggest getting a set of lifts used because the price is a big bullet to bite if you don't like them. I like the palmer PLS Shock, the other palmer plates are nothing special but the Shock model is alright.

I have some of the burton plates which I don't personally like and I think you'd be better off with the Palmers but if you want them $40 will have them shipped to you.

the PLS Shock retails for $99 but you can find them for 60ish shipping included.

the plates are nice to have if you somehow end up with a narrow board as well.

chances are you have various rows of holes in your bindings that you can use to adjust your stance and such. If it looks like you have a lot of heel overhang but not a lot of toe overhang, it might be a good idea to shift your bindings a little towards the toe side to even it out. I had a simmilar problem running softies on my longboard but then turned the binding disks sideways, shifted the bindings to the side, and problem solved. no boot-out either way:biggthump

If it's a problem, you'll know it right away. one run will tell you whether or not you'll be able to ride it without boot-out.

You're not going to boot out with that; it's fine the way it is.

From the top view it always looks like the heelsides poke out too far but it's just the heelcup on the bindings extending way back, but that's really high up - it's never going to touch groom.

I'm impressed. You have even less softboot overhang than I do. What size boots are those?

Guest AllMountain
... What size boots are those?

size 11.5 burton ions.

If you want to know how laid over you can get, take your setup, tip on edge, decamber the board with all your might. When do the boots hit the carpet?

great idea. i just tried it, and this is what i get:

SoftSetup-HeelSideBootOut.jpg

SoftSetup-ToeSideBootOut.jpg

i think this looks pretty good; i may shift it just a little toward the toe side, as several of you suggested.

I've ridden way farther overhang. You will be perfectly fine.

Oh, and I'm a size 12 - 13 boot. I've had to learn like that, so perhaps I'm biased a bit...... Then again, I rode at 45 and 22 degrees agressive stance since day one. It's prob why transitioning to a carve board was so easy. :1luvu:

That is way too much overhang. :rolleyes: Everything about your setup is wrong. :rolleyes: The best thing to do is ship your whole setup to me ! :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump

Sweet setup. Drool......:lol: :lol: :lol:

what do you think of the setup photographed below?

angles are 30/15. there's definite overhang, but there's enough lift that it seems like you could get pretty far up on edge before boot-out.

i tried going as high as 39 degrees, but still had some overhang. i'm thinking i'd have to go to 45 degrees or more to eliminate all overhang. but then i'd probably need cant, which would mean another cash outlay, for catek FR2's.

i'm thinking of starting out with these angles, and then slowly raising them, if necessary.

SoftSetup-SideView.jpg

SoftSetup-FrontFootToe.jpg

SoftSetup-FrontFootHeel.jpg

SoftSetup-BackFootHeel.jpg

SoftSetup-BackFootToe.jpg

SoftSetup-TopView.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AllMountain

just a quick update, in case anyone out there is contemplating a similar setup:

the 11.5 ions ended up being too small for me, so i switched to 12's. even they are starting out a little uncomfortable, but the 11.5's were just ever-increasing agony, after several sessions totaling about 7 hrs of living-room boot break-in.

the 12's are just a few millimeters longer; their overhang still looks good. here's a re-shoot of the toe-side photo. i didn't move the bindings, so the heel side is the same.

SoftSetup-Size12ToeSide.jpg

Guest AllMountain

at this point, the new soft setup is "loaded and locked". i did get a set of palmer PLS, mainly for my son, who has even bigger feet than i do (size 14 boots). but if i end up booting out, i'll have his palmer PLS to experiment with.

That tankers pretty small isn't it?? Why not get the narrow 192?

But since you're posting all the pics and I lust after tankers, could you please post a shot of the base ( red flames maybe) from the front to back showing the sidecut?

( Personal fetish )