Note to New Members ×

First Motorcycle

kirtap

Hey all,

I bought my first motorcycle last week. I got a used 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R and have been riding it around the parking lot everyday since. Does anyone else have this bike? I remember the old threads about peoples bikes and decided to get it going again. Post some new pics of your bikes!

post-692-141842232658_thumb.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow! If that was my first bike, I would not have made it to 20. I had an old honda 750. I thought it was fast at the time. I only put it down twice. But that was enough for me to decide to stick with cars. But damn that looks cool just sittin still!

Very nice looking bike my man, Kawasaki has some really nice lines now. I really like the direction they're going now. Here's my girl, I kind of picture her as a Monica Bellucci, or maybe a more butch chick that you still find oddly attractive. Whichever it is, I still can't ride her because I'm in the city and she's upstate. I envy your parking lot time.........A lot.

post-3099-141842232661_thumb.gif

Nice choice for a first bike that you won't outgrow soon, possibly ever. It is sure to become a cult bike as it will probabaly not sell well next to the Suzuki SV650, and will be discontinued in a handful of years. Cult bikes are cool, I have one...

hawk3.jpg

I guess we're all adrenaline junkies eh? Haha :D The 650R is a great bike to ride; should be fun for a long time. My '03 VFR800 in touring trim in Lassen Volcanic National Park. Last summer, I rode her from Toronto, across the US to California, up to Vancouver and Whistler last summer.

img02157uqmx1.jpg

My first bike was a Yamaha Mate 50cc, then when I returned, I got a Ninja ZZ-R250. Now the VFR.

I guess we're all adrenaline junkies eh? Haha :D The 650R is a great bike to ride; should be fun for a long time. My '03 VFR800 in touring trim in Lassen Volcanic National Park. Last summer' date=' I rode her from Toronto, across the US to California, up to Vancouver and Whistler last summer.

[img']http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/6769/img02157uqmx1.jpg[/img]

My first bike was a Yamaha Mate 50cc, then when I returned, I got a Ninja ZZ-R250. Now the VFR.

I love that bike!!

Here's my first bike. Actually its still mine. 2000 Suzuki SV 650. I got it with about 3-4k miles on it, its up over 14k now. No problems, just change the oil/filters/tires and lube the chain every once in a while. I like it a lot but I'd like to replace it with a V-Strom 650 when I can afford to do it.

post-1720-141842232668_thumb.jpg

post-1720-14184223267_thumb.jpg

I had a 1990 CBR1000F

I started on a Puch moped. does that count?

80's CB 750, CB650, Then onto a 90's CBR1000F, a black one! looking at yours, Geoff. Brings back memories, can't figure out why I never took a picture of it.

Nowadays these reside in my garage.....

'04 ZZR 1200

'97 KX250

'04 fatboy

The last two pics are taken in NY on my return trip from the Montreal Grand Prix in 2006.

post-520-141842232674_thumb.jpg

post-520-141842232676_thumb.jpg

post-520-141842232677_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

at some point I'm gonna track Jack down and steal that bike....very very nice

Nice choice for a first bike that you won't outgrow soon, possibly ever. It is sure to become a cult bike as it will probabaly not sell well next to the Suzuki SV650, and will be discontinued in a handful of years. Cult bikes are cool, I have one...

hawk3.jpg

at some point I'm gonna track Jack down and steal that bike....very very nice

Thanks! uh, I think!

Although the poor girl fell down the other day. I had her up on a rearstand and a bottle-jack under the engine to take the wheels off. Well, when I took the rear wheel off, it upset the balance and she fell over. !@#$! Oh well. Thanks to framesliders, no damage.

I've had that happen with my SV. It was up on it's rear stand and I had a couple jackstands and a 2x4 supporting the front. I was squating down next to it working on it, when I kinda see the bike moving away from me. I looked up, but it was already too late to grab it :mad:. One of the jack stands put a nice gouge in my frame.

that's funny Jack I almost did the same thing this weekend as well took off the the front and the weight shifted aft faster than I could respond...thankfully my wife was on hand and recovered before the bike fell back onto the swingarm and then to the side. I really need to bike lift that will work with my Blast

Back to the OP...

My best college friend was killed just 3 weeks ago on his motorcycle by an SUV driver who turned left in front of him. (I don't know if the SUV driver was on the phone as well, wouldn't be surprised... should be illegal... but I digress) Anyway, the claim, of course, is that he simply didn't see my friend. Well screw that... I just got one of these:

airglide_mj130z.jpg

That's made by Olympia. Aerostitch makes hi-vis yellow gear too. There are probably others.

Yeah I use a Hi Vis yellow ICON vest over whatever jacket (leather or textile) I'm wearing. I have to wear a vest for riding on base and the ICON vest is much better than anything else on the market. My wife thinks I wear it all the time to be safe...in truth I'm just too lazy to take it off my jacket and hang it in the closet

I guess my all black riding gear is a bad idea? (White Helmet though...)

Well, it's no longer what I consider acceptible risk. My all black gear is now reserved for track days. I spent $220 on that hi-vis jacket. If that's not an option and you want some hi-vis, you could always get one of those thin cycling jackets or vests and wear it over your leathers. I rode with one of those vests for a while, but I feel better now having full flaming coverage. Also the vest would flap in the wind some.