Note to New Members ×

First Motorcycle

kirtap

Yeah, my gear is very reflective and I'm a careful rider. I was out last night, following a friend to his house, and he said my jacket looked sweet when the lights were on it because so much reflected.

I just put my first mod on the bike. Threw on some R&G frame sliders. They look good and protect the bike. It feels good to know that if it accidentally falls over, it'll be protected.

Karl-we should ride some time this summer. Its more fun to ride when your not alone

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whatever the color is get decent gear and use it.

I went down Friday on my way home from work. I hit an oil slick and was steering in to a dirt track turn in seconds. It could have been a lot worse had the situation been different. I walked away with a bruised hip and the bike is fine. I had been on the bike less than 5 minutes.

I wear overpants, jacket, gloves, helmet, boots and ear plugs.

I try to commute every day it's above 20 degrees and dry. I know its not a matter of if I will go down it is when. If my wreck Friday is all that happens to me I will be Ok with that.

John.

Jack, I'm very sorry to hear about your college bud.......damn.....

In the past I used to be the guy with the t-shirt flappin, no helmet, even shorts sometimes. With the advent of cell phones, gps, dvd, mp3, i-pods, pda's, etc. people in cars are actually distracted to the point of driving like drunks. So I am wearing more protective gear these days...plus I'm just getting friggin older and wiser (maybe).

Has anyone tried the nylon mesh jackets for a little more warm weather protection? I hear they are good to 80+ degrees, when it gets really hot you can wet your t-shirt underneath, and protects from sunburn.

stevo

Has anyone tried the nylon mesh jackets for a little more warm weather protection?

I wore one in today. I have two Cortech jackets so I can swap the liner back and forth. The mesh definatly keeps you cooler. It is better than no jacket obviously but not as good as a heavier textile or leather jacket.

I also have two pair of pants, one mesh, one heavier.

John

Has anyone tried the nylon mesh jackets for a little more warm weather protection? I hear they are good to 80+ degrees, when it gets really hot you can wet your t-shirt underneath, and protects from sunburn.

stevo

I got this one:

Motoboss%20Airspeed%20jacket_310x310.jpg

from Cycle Gear (cyclegear.com)

it was on sale for $109 so a pretty good deal. pretty well built, ce armor, back protector, zip-out waterproof liner. It's been pretty comfortable so far, up to about 90 degrees with humidity...much better than my old non-vented textile jacket.

I really wish more people would commute on motorcycles. It would make the activity so much safer for all involved. Less traffic and gas use is just an added bonus.

I sold my SUV last summer and have commuted almost every day on my bonnie. Starting to see a few more bikes on the commute, but not nearly enough.

Gas Savings...I was using $25-30 of gas a week last summer in the suv, now even with the increase in prices, I'm spending about $10 a week

if you buy one order a size larger than you normally wear. I'm glad they have a shop near me...tried on the XL and it was too tight around the chest. went with the XXL - I never buy anything that big normally.

cool, thanks tex! I'm getting a little chunky....do they come in XXXXL??

I have 3 different pairs of riding gear. One is full textile for the colder days and the zip-off pants are great for commuting, 2nd is full mesh jacket and pants for the 90 degree days and 3rd is full Vanson leathers. The leathers are perforated so they are surprisingly cool. Rode into day and it was actually a little chilly with the jacket. Either way I wear full gear. TT's off is a perfect example.

That hi-vis yellow jacket I bought (pic posted earlier) is Cordura in the important areas with "ballistic nylon" mesh panels elsewhere. It has built-in and removable armor in the shoulders, back, elbows and fore-arms. It has a removable insulated wind/waterproof liner, and a zipper in back to connect to pants. While I wouldn't take it on the track, I feel like it offers good crash/abrasion protection. Equally important, the hi-vis can't be beat for commuting.

Anyway, to answer your question, the mesh is absolutely delightful on a hot day. Riding with it feels like taking a dip in the pool. If you're in an area where leathers would risk you a heat-stroke, you should check out a jacket like this.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/airglide/airglide.htm

That hi-vis yellow jacket I bought (pic posted earlier) is Cordura in the important areas with "ballistic nylon" mesh panels elsewhere. It has built-in and removable armor in the shoulders, back, elbows and fore-arms. It has a removable insulated wind/waterproof liner, and a zipper in back to connect to pants. While I wouldn't take it on the track, I feel like it offers good crash/abrasion protection. Equally important, the hi-vis can't be beat for commuting.

Anyway, to answer your question, the mesh is absolutely delightful on a hot day. Riding with it feels like taking a dip in the pool. If you're in an area where leathers would risk you a heat-stroke, you should check out a jacket like this.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/airglide/airglide.htm

Jack thanks for the link and your input too.

I have 3 different pairs of riding gear. One is full textile for the colder days and the zip-off pants are great for commuting, 2nd is full mesh jacket and pants for the 90 degree days and 3rd is full Vanson leathers. The leathers are perforated so they are surprisingly cool. Rode into day and it was actually a little chilly with the jacket. Either way I wear full gear. TT's off is a perfect example.

I do like the idea of perforated leather. I have zip-off textile pants (very convenient) and heavy leather jacket. After reading everyone I will add some sort of mesh.

Agree with TT - wear your gear, wear your helmet...
ATGATT for me.

Eventually I stopped trying to ride in gear as if it were allseason got textile mesh jacket and pants for the hot weather. Riding to work during a public transit strike on the hottest day last summer convinced me. Textile jacket and pants with liners for the fall and winter.

Gloves have me stymied though: either comfortable for the weather, or durable but not both at the same time. . .

:D

try Fox Creek Leather for gloves. I use their lined deerskin gauntlets for winter - pretty good down to about 30 degrees.

summer - perforated deerskin gloves. super comfortable

Best gloves on the market hands down are Held golves from Germany. Bob Jenney and myself have been riding with them for a while. I absolutley love them, the finish and fit are superior to other gloves. But of course they aren't cheap. Held They are one of the top selling apparel for riders overseas.

Stevo, the pref leathers are great from 60 degrees on up. But even at 60 you'll get chilled in them on longer rides, so be sure to either wear rain gear over the leathers to block the cold or have cold weather gear.

Oh and nothing beats heated grips for cold weather riding it will extend your riding season until there is enough snow to switch back to snow carving. :D

but a guy at work who has a set of Held's for the winter boughts a set of Lee Parks Designs for the summer....I tried the Lee parks and they are nice but I ended up buying a set of Aerostitch Elkskin gauntlets for the summer and will bet a set of their winter gauntlets when they come in season again.

I commute every day that I can (over 250 of the last 365 days on two wheels) I switched to wearing Textile jackets/pants because they are just more comfortable in more conditions than my leathers are. I think I have worn my leathers less than 5 days in the last year...At present I'm using a Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 jacket and 5.0 pants (different years/models) they work fine but I really want a Roadcrafter when I grow up :1luvu:

oh yeah and heated grips let me ride my motorcycle to the hill to snowboard last winter. OK so I only did it once but it was fun, I actually rode all but a 2 week period in Feb when the temps was below 0* and when it snowed

I have waterproof gear as well, and I get a huge kick from riding in the rain. It's hilarious seeing the faces of people in cars as you ride by, and I think people pay better attention as well.

I could never find gloves that were actually waterproof. What I ended up doing was buying XL rubber dishwashing gloves and wearing them over my thinnest leather gloves. Fits ok and my hands haven't gotten wet since!