Note to New Members ×

Boot maker!

Shred Gruumer

okay, since I infringed on your short and schtubby board. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Small footprint of the UPZ, solid heel and toe shelf for the bindings. It would be nice to have the hinge point beefed up and better adjustment for knock kneed to bull legged riders. A complete redesign to mimic the BTS or other spring systems. A system of tongue's to help balance the spring system, like Raichle. Seem's simple enough...

Chuck -- :ices_ange --

Think about the investment that the boot business requires. Dozens, maybe hundreds of molds for all the different sizes. Then, of course, you have to offer different models to be competitive - race, rec., freecarve. Given the size of the market, there is no way you're going to get any new entries.

how about a boot <$300 ?

Take a look at what you can get for ski boots at less than $300 retail. Not much. Since hard snowboard boots are sold in lower numbers the markup is going to be higher. So if you're looking for snowboard boots under $300 retail... switch to softies. Or grab some Suzukas or Indys or Heads at the Bomber store now, assuming they have your size... they are just over $300.

there are plenty of 250ish priced ski boots and junior ski boots are even less most of those run 100 to 150

if the UPZ had better springs, redesinged ledges, a wider heel pocket, a better liner, one less buckle, a better canting mechanism, a tongue that did not make it next to imossible to get into the boot and a toe box that was not so wide that it does not fit in some bindings it would be a fine boot.

IMHO for the average end user UPZ is the least friendly unless you you do a lot of work and tweaking.

now on the other hand if you put a tongued liner like zip fits, something like the RAB and some slight mods to the shells (to allow more forward travel while preventing the hard stop that they have) the burton fire would be one hell of a boot

Take a look at what you can get for ski boots at less than $300 retail. Not much. Since hard snowboard boots are sold in lower numbers the markup is going to be higher. So if you're looking for snowboard boots under $300 retail... switch to softies. Or grab some Suzukas or Indys or Heads at the Bomber store now, assuming they have your size... they are just over $300.

Im perfectly happy with my Tracks, but my friends can't afford the boots to start hardbooting. And I won't be able to afford a replacement once college starts, so they'd better last.

The coolest thing I've seen in boot design lately was Head's buckles. A lever pulls out of the buckle for extra leverage... sweet!

I like the lever that pulls out of the head for extra leveraga ... that said, my only complaint (so far) about the heads is that the buckles are far too bulky and threaten to drag at high angles.

Pardon the OT post, but while searching the Dale Boot website, I found something very usefull... the "heel nest and halter" under products that "tightens heel pocket in any boot". Sounds like something many people on this forum would find useful. Ive never seen one before, though. Anybody carry something similar?

On a sidenote, anybody knows if Ibex bought the boot molds along with the bindings molds? I know the Fires/Wind were crappy, but I'm talking about the real stuff here: Reactor and Furnace.:biggthump The last generation (1997-1998) were almost the ultimate boots, they just need to be a little wider, have a longer spring and better liners. No need for those Intec thingies.:p

Don't get me wrong. I love playing golf. So simple, yet so complex. Doesn't mean I'm good at it though...

Ok sorry, didn't understand it that way; anyway, I don't like sports I'm not good at, at all...but somehow I wish I could like it because there are many places to practice Golf in Shanghai and also handsome single guys practicing...:p

(BTW, simple? :nono: , yoh, not at all when you have sight disorder like me :freak3: )

Shred,

If you're looking for a custom boot manufacturer, talk to http://www.dalebootusa.com/

He's probably the only guy in the US capable of doing something custom. I have no idea if he would do something for our application. I've just known about him for several years.

Dr D.

We do have people using our boot for snowboarding. We would not be able to justify the cost of redesigning or making a boot for that purpose as we are small company. The tooling costs would be far greater than our annual sale revenue. Our boot has a lot of forward mobility, but is stiff laterally. Although with the forward flex set softer, there is some movement laterally at the top of the boot. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Adam

-----Original Message-----

From: Delaney Carlson DC [mailto:delaneycarlson@hotmail.com]

Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 9:53 PM

To: daleboot@dalebootusa.com

Subject: Hardboots for snowboarding

I am a member of a group of alpine snowboarders that finds itself without a quality boot supplier. We are curious if you have ever done a set or if you have the capability of building such a boot. Current choices are limited to HEAD statos pros, UPZ and Deeluxe (formerly raichle). Choices for wider feet are especially limited. the boots would require some lateral flexibility and shorter sole length. what do you think?

Dr D