Note to New Members ×

metal

bobdea

Guest needanswer

This brings up another issue. Even if bamboo comes in .55in, I dont' think .55in bamboo is equivalent to .55 wood. I thought the thickness would be dependent on the material and the desired flex. perhaps, bamboo need to be thicker or thinner and the parts dependent on the thickness need to be designed around the material.

That is the primary motivation for moving in that direction. A custom snowboard core blanks starts out at .550in thick. The bamboo only comes as .812in thick. There's no way to easily get around the extra material and there are considerations with disposal. Burning is an option, but you're looking at environmental impacts there. Wood does not compost. I'm not sure about bamboo, but turning it into a compostable consistency requires energy, usually produced by burning fuels that are harmful to the environment.

The other question becomes; how many people are willing to spend an extra $90 on a snowboard because it was made from a renewable material in a manner that isn't consistent with their reasons for purchasing it?

I'll continue looking for solutions, but the current one simply looks impractical.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Saw a couple of SG Snowboards (185) at Loveland. One had the Hardbooter.com and All Boards Sports Stickers on it and Hangl plates, I think Jeff Cooper was riding it.

Check with Jeff, the hardbooter guys or the All Boards Sports guys. I think All Boards Sports is an authorized SG Snowboard dealer.

Cooper was the rider on the SG with Hangl plates. Bola at All Board Sports let Jeff try it out. Hopefully I will have that same board at WP this Saturday for a test session. If I do I will post my thoughts. I do know that the board is very heavy with the Hangl Plates so I will probably need to let the "pins and needles" die down once off the lift before venturing downhill.

Ink

That is the primary motivation for moving in that direction. A custom snowboard core blanks starts out at .550in thick. The bamboo only comes as .812in thick. There's no way to easily get around the extra material and there are considerations with disposal. Burning is an option, but you're looking at environmental impacts there. Wood does not compost. I'm not sure about bamboo, but turning it into a compostable consistency requires energy, usually produced by burning fuels that are harmful to the environment.

The other question becomes; how many people are willing to spend an extra $90 on a snowboard because it was made from a renewable material in a manner that isn't consistent with their reasons for purchasing it?

I'll continue looking for solutions, but the current one simply looks impractical.

Sean, I might be able to help with composting solutions for wood and bamboo, certain species of mushrooms tear right through lignin and cellulose in wood.

in the spring when I return to MA I'd for sure send you some sample cultures if you want to do some experiments

I've been doing allot of projects based on using wood that would otherwise be burned or sitting in a landfill somewhere, email me for more details and maybe check out the most recent book by Paul Stamets

Heck, if you were industrious enough, you could try to grow your own supply!

http://www.bambooliving.com/PDF.cfm/BambooGrowing.pdf

:rolleyes:

I planted 4 Fargesia Nitida plants in the corner of my yard last year to fill/cover an ugly neighbors garage. I can't wait for them to fill out over the next few years

The "wood" that Sean will be using a look like plywood not like the stalks of bamboo most are used to thinking of when you hear the term bamboo

Just a question : i enjoy a lot riding my Agression SL Race which has the same stainless metal topsheet than Volant snowboards (see the intro of the video where Fin shaves himself with it!). Excellent edge grip on ice and absorption.

What are the differences/improvements of the boards you mention since theses "precursors"?

Silver:)

I spent this morning on a Prior Metal 183, same model I demoed at SES '06. It didn't really do anything for me at SES but this morning you just couldn't wipe the silly grin off my face. Earlier in this thread I commented that I strongly preferred a heavier, derby-plated metal board and after this morning I would have to say that is no longer true.

On the Metal vs. Donek Olympic question: I would prefer the Donek Olympic on softer hero groom but the Metal in almost any other conditions I can think of. And I've been into Doneks for a long time.

I did find the Prior 183 a bit *too* bendy for my tastes when I cranked the speed up but then again I might not feel that way after I've had more time to get used to it. If I were to buy Prior I'd go with the 187 without a doubt. Hmmm, I wonder what Coiler could do....

It really makes a big difference how soft or stiff your boots and bindings are. The metal boards like a soft interface. While most of Seans boards really need stiff boots and bindings to power them up.

Mixing the two really bounces the metal board around. While with two soft a binding Doneks can be hard to power up.

I would look toward the riders on tour and what "systems" they use to power up metal gear.

I think the main difference between SES '06 and now is.... I'm a better rider and have a better idea what to do with it now.

My interface was then and is now pretty middle-of-the-road.... TD2 bindings, but with the softest rings (and some handmade plexi-plates made by the owner of the Prior board in the "now" case), and Suzukas with medium BTS springs. Same setup on any board I ride these days.

I rode the SG 185 last weekend with and without the hangl plate. In the morning it was bulletproof and I was on the hangl equiped board. This was without a doubt the best set up of the morning. D.T. and Big Mario struggled to keep and edge in while I rode unphased by the conditions. D.T. watched the board moving around beneath my boots but none of the chatter was being transfered to my body. All of this was taking place with a set of old TD1's with solid plastic in place of bumpers. I felt more solid in my position than I ever have on those types of conditions. The only problem with the Hangl set up is the weight. Sitting on long lifts took its toll on my leg. I took out the stock SG after things softened up a bit. The ride was still very smooth. I am impressed by the titanal boards that SG is putting out. Now to test some others. Thanks to Bola at All Board Sports for hooking me up with the SG's. Next the Virus.

Ink

jnshapiro, if you get a chance, try the Prior again. It will feel different to you the next time you ride it. I didn't like the Prior the first time I rode one, now it's just a dream to ride. There are several others here with the same experience. I don't expect you can go wrong with a Coiler either. I've got a metal Coiler AM on order myself.

Bamboo as a building material has a long history....outside North America. The fact that it's just beginning to make an impact here doesn't mean it's a fad just that we have no experience using it or have a clue as to is structural properties. It has advantages and disadvantages just like everything else.

Guest sandarapark

snowboarding started without solid engineering and materials properties data, snowboaring was considered just a fad and almost nobody bought it.

depending on what board you're on your probably fine but the TD2 is still probably a bit much for a smaller rider and I assume you are

I could probably even ride F2s and like it with these things, as far as not hurting the board probably with the hangle plates any binding will work I'd think depending on the feel you like