Note to New Members ×

metal

bobdea

Sigi makes the board with extra long noses to power through chop and crud. That might explain the short contact length. According to Bruce at Coiler, his metal boards need less running length to sidecut radius ratio for equivalent edge hold. Not sure if that holds true for SG boards though. Either way if you get to try it out, let us know how it is! Very few of those boards make it to this side of the pond.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i am just sceptical to drop 500 buks on a board that might breakso easily...

anyway...if it's softer than a proton, then it must be really soft...but are they also as damm as a proton?

It will be much more damp than the Proton. I don't know anything about Sig Grabner boards (aside from what I've read here). Again, it sounds like a great deal, but if you can't afford it, don't force yourself.

Guest sandarapark

damn...someone beat me to it (the board)...my stupid brother got it before i could...ungreatful little brat scheaming behind my back...fy faen!!!...only found out about it this morning when i woke up and saw the stupid smile he always have on his face whenever he thinks he out did me on something...

anyway, we walked to the hill this afternoon to test...BUT i din't manage to try it coz i just couldn't pry it away from him...faen...and to think i saved him from being someone's punching bag in many ocasions back in highschool and not to mention, shared my board with him this season....faen

anyway, he did do me a favor before the end of the day...on the hill, we met this dane? (or at least he sounded danish) man on an alpine to whom my brother agreed to switch board (stupid brat would rather let a stranger ride his board than his sis)...anyway, the guy wanted to try my bro's board for another run (and maybe feeling sorry) my bro let me ride the guy's board on the 2nd run...the ride was sweet but i can't really justify the board since the snow condition was really bad because it was raining last night ...the hill was just covered in a layer of slush(not spring slush but the kind u drink...only a bit dryer) and uneaven ice under the 1 inche of slush...back to the story, after ridng the board for a run, it did a lotbetter than my board...after returning it, the guy said something about a sort of metal in his board (not realy sure if thats what he ment coz my danish is not that good)...his board looked very plain...no fancy art onthe top sheet and the base...it was just plain except for a writing on the topsheet near the nose...i think it was "tomatowak" or "tomatawk"...sounds somewhat japanese...anyway i can't find it on the net... search is always 0

anyone recognizes it?...the board was realy nice and soft, easy to controll and less tiring...almost like my NS premier...maybe a bit stiffer and holds an edge better...

but still i'm kinda piss i didn't got to try the SG board...

just checked the site...it's the one on the far left (red one) i think it's the 162.

thanks guys.

i checked the spec on the board...somethin peculiar came up, it has a much shorter running lenght for it's size compared to other boards (131 cm for a 162)...not just that but all the all sigis boards are....anyway, has anybody tried it?

Saw a couple of SG Snowboards (185) at Loveland. One had the Hardbooter.com and All Boards Sports Stickers on it and Hangl plates, I think Jeff Cooper was riding it.

Check with Jeff, the hardbooter guys or the All Boards Sports guys. I think All Boards Sports is an authorized SG Snowboard dealer.

I think Bola has a few of the Sigi boards.. As far as stance setback, i know personally the Kesslers are set back quite a bit. Not sure as to the exact, as there are absolutely no center marks on the board, and with hangl paltes that come pre-mounted, it's hard to tell.. maybe over the summer i can get real precise and measure... but for now, it's time to ride! all i can say is the nose on the kesslers is VERY long...

I don't know anything about board construction, so just talking out of my a$$.

but I wonder if bamboo can be used for building boards? I think bamboo is suppose to be light and can flex better than wood without cracking.

regarding durability, I'm sure it depends on the combination of rider + board + condition. taken to the limit, anything will fail. it would be good if manufacturer can grade boards on how much G's it could take before breaking. Then riders can make their choice, base on the way they ride and the conditions they ride in. hmm.

I've been thinking along the lines of bamboo for some time. My lumber supplier recently looked into supplying it for me. It's not cheap in the US. A lot of the boards being made with Bamboo are being built in Asia. The cost of using Bamboo through my current supplier would run about $100 for the core materials and involve almost twice as much waste based on the dimensions we can obtain. While the economics may not be as big an issue for a botique material, the fact that we're throughing away or so much is a bigger problem for me. The idea is to conserve resources and reduce waste. We would be doing neither in this case. I keep looking, but so far have not found viable technologies or materials.

I've been thinking along the lines of bamboo for some time. My lumber supplier recently looked into supplying it for me. It's not cheap in the US. A lot of the boards being made with Bamboo are being built in Asia. The cost of using Bamboo through my current supplier would run about $100 for the core materials and involve almost twice as much waste based on the dimensions we can obtain. While the economics may not be as big an issue for a botique material, the fact that we're throughing away or so much is a bigger problem for me. The idea is to conserve resources and reduce waste. We would be doing neither in this case. I keep looking, but so far have not found viable technologies or materials.

I admire your approach to building with no waist!

You could use the excess for a custom set of Donek coasters with each board.

While the economics may not be as big an issue for a botique material, the fact that we're throughing away or so much is a bigger problem for me. The idea is to conserve resources and reduce waste.
Have you considered that bamboo is a rapidly renewable resource, whereas hardwood takes decades to regrow? Perhaps it would be better to have wasted bamboo than used hardwood.

BTW, I have a 46" bamboo skateboard deck from Sector 9 that works great.

Guest needanswer
I admire your approach to building with no waist!

You could use the excess for a custom set of Donek coasters with each board.

:lol: pun on skinny alpine boards intended ?

Guest needanswer
Have you considered that bamboo is a rapidly renewable resource, whereas hardwood takes decades to regrow? Perhaps it would be better to have wasted bamboo than used hardwood.

good point! bamboo is highly renewable.

how does a bamboo skateboard ride compare to a regular one?

stronger?

lighter?

flex?

Guest sandarapark

i have lush kilima (bamboo)...and compared to the sector 9's i've demoed, it is very light and "bouncy" when exiting a turn (even though it has almost no camber)...plus it's very very very very very strong...a friend of mine who was as lets say "heavy", jumped up and down, to my absolute horror, on the board a couple o times but it were asa if nothing happend to the board ; )

it is one hell of a material when implimented correctly

the worst thing thing about the metal wcr is that I want to replace all my decks with metal rides and I'd also love to add one of those neat derby plates as well

a coiler with a derby plate is perhaps my next adventure.......

I have seen a lot of equiptment break this year, just on my team. My buddy snapped his Donek, another friend broke his binding, and I snapped two Metal WCR 183's. Nothing is invincible, but it seems to me that the higher priced goods these days seem to have a shorter lifespan. Also. Donek, bamboo is the ****. My dad makes custom handbuilt bamboo fly rods. I have been sponsered for casting by orvis and I've fished their carbon fiber, metal, and fiberglass ods, and nothing compares to a bamboo rod. I think you should seriously take the time and money and put forth a bamboo board.

That is the primary motivation for moving in that direction. A custom snowboard core blanks starts out at .550in thick. The bamboo only comes as .812in thick. There's no way to easily get around the extra material and there are considerations with disposal. Burning is an option, but you're looking at environmental impacts there. Wood does not compost. I'm not sure about bamboo, but turning it into a compostable consistency requires energy, usually produced by burning fuels that are harmful to the environment.

The other question becomes; how many people are willing to spend an extra $90 on a snowboard because it was made from a renewable material in a manner that isn't consistent with their reasons for purchasing it?

I'll continue looking for solutions, but the current one simply looks impractical.

stronger?

lighter?

flex?

It's kind of hard comparing apples with apples because design comes into it. I can say that the bamboo pintail I have is a great deck, has nice snap and makes a great long-distance pumper. I wouldn't mind it a wee bit stiffer but at 190 lbs I'm probably above the target design weight for most production decks. Compared to my previous wood sector 9 of the same length but slightly different design, it's a better deck for what I want but then my old one was more of a cruiser than a pumper.

That is the primary motivation for moving in that direction. A custom snowboard core blanks starts out at .550in thick. The bamboo only comes as .812in thick. There's no way to easily get around the extra material and there are considerations with disposal. Burning is an option, but you're looking at environmental impacts there. Wood does not compost. I'm not sure about bamboo, but turning it into a compostable consistency requires energy, usually produced by burning fuels that are harmful to the environment.

The other question becomes; how many people are willing to spend an extra $90 on a snowboard because it was made from a renewable material in a manner that isn't consistent with their reasons for purchasing it?

I'll continue looking for solutions, but the current one simply looks impractical.

I have two suggestions:

1) Call it the Eco-Carver and sell it with a green topsheet.

2) Can't you get a special order of thinner material if you order in sufficient volumes?

Surely there is something to be done with the Bamboo chippings...

good point! bamboo is highly renewable.

stronger?

lighter?

flex?

I have ridden both the Oak and the Bamboo variant of the Loaded Vanguard. The Bamboo was lighter, stiffer, but was more lively (more energy return). It's really fun at slower, medium speeds... but once I got over 25 mph the extra energy was unwanted as it threatened to buck you off the board if you hit some bumpy pavement. I mean the original Oak were already trampoline-like (there is a video someone doing a flip off of one), and the Bamboos were even more so. Loaded skateboards (and most skateboards) have zero dampening materials added to them. Next time I would go with a stiffer if I do Bamboo (I was using a Flex 4 for both cases).

If you Build it they will come? I would spend the extra money for an EC board (thats EcoCarve for you environmentalists) to know that I am nudging the industry in the right way. especially if I get some custom coasters with the deck.

I have two suggestions:

1) Call it the Eco-Carver and sell it with a green topsheet.

2) Can't you get a special order of thinner material if you order in sufficient volumes?...

Sufficient volumes are usually much larger than the carve industry can demand. I have found a manufacturer of the stuff and am contacting them directly. If they actually answer, we'll see if we can make it happen.

given that bamboo is a grass it composts a lot better than wood, but it depends on what you are planning to do with it. You might find a landscape company that needs organic matter and while they might not pay you for it they will probably take it off your hands for free (no disposal cost). I would probably pay more for it on the coolness factor alone