Note to New Members ×

PSA: "Frontside" and "Backside" are dead.

Jack M

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

damn it's still blue sky at the other end of the state....as for Pipeline I've sat on the beach and watched guys surf there...it's beyond my skills though I have surfed Sunset and body boarded Pinballs. I've got friends that live in Paia and Makawao on Maui and Jaws makes a scary noise when its breaking...kinda like artillery

Just so we're straight, a "heelside turn" is one where your heelside edge is in contact with solid ground, not one where your heelside edge is away from the turn, outside of the snow... Correct?

You see, it all depends on what the definition of "is" is.

In other news...It's snowing outside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Tex

It aint snowing here. and the other thing is that whenever you post I think a hot girl has posted and then realize it is AlexaLoo stolen avatar.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. It just psyches me out every time so far. Must be the residual vicodin.

a bigger clip of the last youtube clip.

Guys like Malik Joyeux paddled into Teahupoo drops before the tow guys went for it. The mags had shots of him that were (are) jawdropping. Tow-in just made it a lot safer.

http://www.sikclips.com/vid495_Crazy_Surfing_at_Teahupoo

when the spit goes, it looks like a bomb went off inside the barrel.

<end thread hijack transmission>

it's basicly Ehukai on roid rage. Most barrels on tropical islands that don't have a continental shelf (which is to say all tropical islands pretty much) Jack up very fast and usually very close to shore/reef/whatever. Things to remember there is less that a meter of water in the pit and it's moving FAST. You have to make the drop and the bottom turn, mistake doing either and you could die. Mark Fu died because he made just such a mistake at Mav's and he was very very talented.

As a skateboarder/surfer/windsurfer/snowboarder/wakeboarder- in that order, here's how I see it, still.

From the early days skating a pool, or ramp. When/if you hit the top of the ramp, half-pipe, or wave and turn so that your front is facing said lip, or coping, that's a front-side.

If your front is facing what you're turning away from- frontside and vice versa.

This is exactly what they refer to in half-pipe or slope-style contests/moves.

Which is made double-y confusing, when riding switch.

Entertaining and memory jogging conversation.

BTW, someone mentioned the Step Into Liquid video, there's a scene in there of surfing Lake Michigan, my friend Lester is narrating....yes, you can surf a lake............frontside, or backside!

Surfs up,

Erich

that's the insane teahupoo (choe poo) wave from Riding Giants-mavs looks brown-tahiti is blue

Yeah, duh, shoulda noticed the clear blue and lack of kelp but hey, that's what ya get reading late at night, post Miller.

Wow, that's a thick-friggin wave. I thought Hawaii waves were thick, having lived/surfed here a few years.

Great thing about snowboarding, the mountain (almost) never chases you down....almost.

Surfing: It's simple, either you catch the wave, or the wave catches you...

I have another solution. Whenever I have to give my wife directions it's either "RIGHT" or "THE OTHER RIGHT". So "RIGHT" and Regular would be right, but right and goofy would be "THE OTHER RIGHT". I am totally surprised that this hasn't been thought of before. It would end all confusion.

oh. my. god.

question:

is that break always that short? where they can just drop in, go left, get out?

what makes it so damn HEAVY? !#$% me that...I cant even...god Im such a puss.

The original audio makes that the best video ever.

It's a closeout. Teahupoo's been there forever, just nobody thought it was ridable.

You're no puss, it's right to think about it. We have some heavy waves here in CA. And you need to be on your 'A' game if you're gonna even think about it. You should be a little scared.

2 years ago we had 18-20' Redondo Breakwall. I passed on it, but watched two friends catch maybe 4 waves. Top-to-bottom chargers. Changes how you think about risk.

20' at redondo? damn

I tried to learn how to surf for a while. Just never got it. went out some days I should probably not have been out on, including one day at Seal Beach where I thought I was gonna die. I have no accurate idea how big the waves were but my memory says they were 10' faces, which is small to a real surfer, but to a novice trying to just get OUT through them they are monsters.

phew!

that chopoo **** is just amazing. that pic I posted looks like a nuclear blast photo with the cloud removed from the middle. just frikin crazy.

its still heelside and toeside if youre on a snowboard not attacking/airing out of a lip.