Note to New Members ×

Big Mtn Daily Rub In....

Paulk

I managed 45 days this year at Big Mtn with 1,031,050 vertical feet logged.

My good friend John G. who finished the season with a broken, plated and screwed(10) collar bone logged 4,602,790 vertical feet to win the vertical challenge for the 2006-07 season. I am not sure how many days he logged??? He is the first snowboarder to win the vertical challenge at the Big. Great Work John!!!

Another honorable mention is Rick S. who logged 3,060,578 verticle feet 6th place on the Big Vert Challenge. He was there every single day they were open and hard booting every day!!

Below is John (yellow coat) and Rick (black coat) getting ready for the last run of the season. Also is an X-ray of John's sweet new titanium hardware.

John is hands down the man:biggthump :biggthump :biggthump

way to sack up John I can't imagine the pain of falling on that again.:eek:

hell of a season we had!!! you all come back and see us next year:biggthump

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the more reason to join the Patrol. First f u c ki n tracks every morning.

Gleb,

mountains like we have out west have ungroomed runs on most of the alpine and sub alpine. there is usually 2 or 3 groomed runs down from a chair and the rest is a bumpy snowy free for all as there is few trees above 6000 feet (at least in Canada)

When you ride down to the tree line you will come into groomers to hit the ski area's base. for the most part all the blues and greens and the odd black diamond are groomed even after a dump. Could you imagine a ski area filled with famillies and spores (gorbs) and no grooming?

AM boards rule out here because you get to enjoy the pow fest and then rip it up another 1000 of vert or so feet to the chair loading on groomies. Or y ou can rip it up from the top on a easy groomed green or blue.

All of this footage is "offpiste" mostly in the glades and sweet spots on the mountain. I ride either an AM setup all day like fleaman suggests or I switch at lunch from powder to carving gear. IT works well because you can push it twice as hard and change out for a fresh pair of legs at lunch. by changing my setup from soft to hard or vice versa I get a fresh set of muscles. I get my powder and my groom too:biggthump

PS:lurk: for all you icecoasters whining about late season snow after the mtn closes, we are in the same boat. Big MTN got 10 inches last nite and she's all closed up for the season. ITs almost worth the hike if you didn't have to dodge the sleepy Grizzly bears:lol:

Since I tracked my board usage as well as my vertical, I can report that out of 117 days on the mountain, I rode 22 days on the board I consider my powder board. That's just under 20% powder days. So the "carvable" days actually far outnumber the powder days, though the days that were good for nothing but carving groomers (too lousy off piste) was probably about the same at around 20%.

Riding 4 days after surgery may sound a bit crazy :freak3: , but it was Dave Redman that put the silly notion in my head when he said, "falling is not an option." Having spent more time riding than walking this winter, I figured, I can do that -- not fall that is. We clicked off over 100 runs that last sling-bound week. :biggthump

Dr. D. I'll make you a copy of the pond skimming DVD I made from my video clips. Unfortunately, your run caught us off guard standing around at the base, so I missed your approach down the hill and barely caught your icy plunge. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
howdy paul k

just wondering whats the specs of your coiler?

west carven

Hey West,

Here are the stock specs from Coiler website.

173 FreeCarve

155 running length

18.5 waist

10.5 side cut radius

0 taper

When I ordered the board, It was then built to suit my weight, I'm sorry I don't remember the flex rating stamped in the sidewall. It would probably be a different number for you anyways.

I see you've been looking for a board,

Did I mention this is my favorite board? Best performance for the money?

I'm buying another one when this one finally wears out(3 seasons so far), and adding a 169 AM to replace the old Burton for the woods of Big Mtn.

(Coiler: A board by any other name is...well, just crap.)

• 7 months later...

John and I rode Saturday mostly on the new high speed chair two. The carving was great on Eds and Hellroaring. The new lift can make for some very fast loops. John rode his new Donnek Vlad and rode it very very well.

John is RAD on his BAD VLAD.

He is GLAD to be VLAD's new DAD.

Dont be mean to VLAD or its new DAD will get MAD.

Enough of the Silly Suess stuff but is seemed funny at the time on the lift.

The runs felt even better on Sunday. Thanks to me wrenched back, I stuck to softies so I could take it easy and stand up straight, but Eric was a man on fire on the Perlstein Skwal. He was laying it out at mach 10 on every run. Maybe something to do with finally having a helmet?

The groomed runs have finally got over that icy gravel feeling they had last week. It was snowing today, but stopped at the end of the day, so with a fresh groom on that it should be extra sweet Tuesday morning (if there's any visibility). Hope I can get up there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...