Note to New Members ×

Heard on the Slopes

jnshapiro

I've seen a few comments posted similar to what I often hear, but I might as well add to the list....

"hey, how old is that board?"....

"how do you like riding that board with ski boots?"....

The funny one came from one of the lift line attendees yesterday while counting boarders and skiers...

"I don't know what I should count you as, a skier or a boarder, or both....."

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In line at Buttermilk at the SES I feel something on the back of my board, Bunner 188. A kids dad said he should not do that. He was outlining my tail with his ski pole. I glared at both of them. Total control that day!!

Im sorry but why would you "glare" at them? Im assuming by glare you meant stare at menacingly or some other "bad" way?

why? Curious kid, and a dad who corrected him...?

Im sorry but why would you "glare" at them? Im assuming by glare you meant stare at menacingly or some other "bad" way?

why? Curious kid, and a dad who corrected him...?

I don't touch other people's stuff, and I don't expect them to paw mine ... at least the father did correct him, most of them just let their brats do whatever they want.

Sorry, I'm with Tim on this one. Be curious with your eyes and not your damn ski pole.

oops...you said "outlining" which I took to meant "tracing the shape of in the snow"

me...I probably wouldnt sweat it THAT much. I spend too much time irritated by other things to worry about a kid and a ski pole. Like...the existence of other humans when I'm on the hill

;)

Someone behind me in the lift-line stepping all over the back of my Board I find very irritating/ its disrespectfully! An invasion of my personal space even if my board is long !!!!!!! I speak up quickly/ soft warning the first time but it escalates Quickly from there ! I'm picky about my equipment ! One time after telling someone to stay off my board 2 times the 3 rd time I shoved him off & to the ground!!! :nono: His buddy's just looked on in disbelieve I think he will be more careful from now on !

Enough said !!!!!!!

Guest Tim Tuthill

Recon: Thank you. When I was learning to ski in the late 50'S A real good skier I knew would back up a little, lift his ski and break off the offenders ski tip. I saw it once at Mammoth. Not a word said!

Dave: Tell us, What would of you done if it were you?

I was totally messing with you, although I probably would have said "please don't do that" just once, first.

but like I said, I first thought you said the kid was tracing the outline of your board in the snow. I see no harm in that.

Recon: Thank you. When I was learning to ski in the late 50'S A real good skier I knew would back up a little, lift his ski and break off the offenders ski tip. I saw it once at Mammoth. Not a word said!

At Blue Mountain in Collingwood, a couple of kids thought it was funny how I would be asking them to stop (making fun of me and what-not), so I lifted up the 178FP and brought it down HARD...snap goes their plastic ski racing tips...that shut them up.

On my Winds i used to get "hey... why are you riding ski boots on a snowboard?" all the time. they have "Burton" written across the boots in big eye-catching letters.

My Deeluxe boots havnt been called ski boots yet. all they ever get is "hey... those snowboard boots are different arent they?"

Im perplexed as to why the Burton boots would be more confusing than a more obscure compay's hardboots.

Couple of adults watching me go off the lift today:

"That's ...that's...that's THE board!"

Couple of young kids beside me on the chair today arguing between themselves:

-that's a snow board

-no that's a skiboard, they use skiboards to race

Turning to me:

-is that a skiboard? do you race?

-no I don't race

-do you snowboard? :smashfrea

• 2 weeks later...

Was doing some excavation work under the lift one day in PA. and while riding lift over my handywork one of the skiers on the chair said look at that! Some snowboarder put all those ruts in the slope! I just said H-m-m-m...Yeah...

Also had a guy come from behind me and literally cut me down while I was on a heelside. I peeled myself up off the hill and asked him if he was o.k. He said yea he was but what was I doing...You're not supposed to go back up the slope. I just replied "You're the one that came from behind me...Ever hear of lower person having right of way? Apparently he hadn't by his response so I just slid off...

Most of the comments are positive though. Those are the ones that mean something!

I've had alot of the same ones, What is that?, Is that a monski, etc. I heard a good one yesterday at Sierra. I was just pushing out of line to load on the lift and there was a group of slope slider Kamakasi bombers behind me.They watched me go over twenty feet with one push to the loading block and one of them pointed to my Speedster RS and said " Check that sh*t out, I bet that thing catches fire going down the hill!"