Skiing?

scotts.Scheinman

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I skiied for a very long time before I started in on snowboarding (does 20 years count as a very long time?). Frankly, I have no memory of learning. I was 5 or 6 at the time. My wife learned as an adult and managed just fine. She's rather uncoordinated.

If you are athletic, have spent time on a snowboard, I can't imagine you'll have much difficulty learning to ski.

Not very seriously. I take my other half's rock skis out night skiing about, uh, twice a year. For about 2 hours a time. If my legs last that long.

I can actually ski OK, I can carve them down a blue run and they're planks and all. So if you can ride a carving board, I'd think you'd be fine.

But why would you want to ski? It's a waste of good snowboarding time.

I picked up skiing and snowboarding at the same time. I never really got into skiing like I did riding, though. After a few years, I gave up skiing all together. I did not find it to be fun and I thought that it was stupid that they did not put some good sidecut on those things. A few years later, I took out a pair of shaped skis. I skied better than I ever had before. I just took what I knew about how a snowboard works and applied it to the skis. I have now gotten a little more serious about skiing and I teach park and pipe as well as training instructors how to teach park and pipe. I still do not ski even a quarter as much as I snowboard.

I have taught countless skiers to snowboard and I have taught quite a few snowboarders to ski. (Good) Snowboarders generally think that skiing is a joke. If I get them set up and in good posture, they can usually apply their SB knowledge and go from there. This is especially true with carvers. If you can carve well on a board, carving on skis usually comes very easily.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but these are my observations.

I did skiing before snowboarding. I first started when i was 6 or 7. From what i remember, it was a lot easier learning how to ski than it was learning how to snowboard.

i tried snowboarding for the first time when i was around 12 or 13. it was much tougher to learn IMO. i actually hated it the first time, but decided to stick with it. might have been harder for me to pick up snowboarding since i learned how to ski first.

one of the things with skiing though, is symetrical technique. i don't recall my right or left side being worse or better than the other. if you can do something on your right side, it pretty much translates to you being able to do it on the other.

snowboarding on the other hand... i definitely remember being way better on my toe edge when i first started, which looked kind of funny. i had the "falling leaf syndrome" on my toe side, and only went down on my toe edge. haha

i parrot everyone else with saying you should do tele. it makes me want to go back and try skiing, except for the fact that i just dropped a lot of money into snowboard carving gear this year. also, i thought i remember seeing someone locking their heels down, so as to make it a regular ski... options are always good. kinda makes me wonder if we'll ever see tele in the olympics, sort of like how i wondered about snowboarding.

I ski raced for 10 years before hardbooting and here's my opinion/observation. Learning to ski is pretty easy, skiing great and ripping turns like your on a hardboot deck takes some time. Nothing has given me almost instant gratification like hardbooting.

Ditto!!!

Learning to ski is easier than learning to snowboard-

Becoming a great skier is harder than becoming a great boarder-

Carving came naturally to me but I grew up skateboarding and rollerblading, slalom waterskiing and playing hockey, so i had kinda already gotten a grasp on edging and balance. When i made that first carve though, MAN! That was the stuff.:biggthump

I did some two-plank time last season for the first time in years, so I cuold help get my 4yo (3 at the time) going. I scored a used pair of Atomic M11's (12m sidceut) from a fellow Bomberite, wow they were easy! I would take some runs on them when I was having an off day carving and was amazed at how easily I could carve turns on them. (I know, 12m on skis is light 7 on a board - that was intentional, since I tool around with my kid on them!)

If you get moderns, shaped skis it'll be a piece of cake. "If it were easy it would be called skiing" :eplus2:

Learning to ski is easier than learning to snowboard-

Becoming a great skier is harder than becoming a great boarder-

Having a perception of being a great snowboarder is easier than having a perception of being a great skier.

O.K., maybe not. Most likely, the same personalities with the (misinformed) perception of being a great skier would think the same thing if they were a snowboarder and vice versa.

one of the things with skiing though, is symetrical technique. i don't recall my right or left side being worse or better than the other. if you can do something on your right side, it pretty much translates to you being able to do it on the other.

You are probably more natural then most. Most skiers have a natural and an unnatural side. It is usually pretty easy to spot.

kinda makes me wonder if we'll ever see tele in the olympics, sort of like how i wondered about snowboarding.

I don't know what exactly you are looking for as far as tele comps, but Nordic skiing is all over the olympics.

Skis - easy first steps, begginer level, ages to become intermediate, and even longer to expert.

Snowboard - horrible first few days - after that quickly to intermediate level. Expert, well I don't know, I'm still not there...

Generally, for me doing both makes me better in both disciplines. Carving a snowbaord opened a wholle new look at my ski carving.

Just do the same thing and you should be fine. It might be a heresy, but it's actually the same sport.

Telemark, why bother? It's like going back to softboots on snowbaord...

I started skiing the season befor last. At first it was just curiosity. I wondered if carving on skis was as hard as most skiers made it look. I inline skate and that make the coordination required for skiing a little easier. I first bought some short adult skis (130) with about a 12m sidecut. and was able to carve within a few runs. The first season was a bit crude, but progress was pretty fast. Boot out became an issue. So I bought some Metron skis and Dolomite boots with lift. The wider skis made it possible to get my inside ski out with the outside ski without boot out. This season I'm going do some Nastar racing. The hardest thing thing is coping with poles which you need for the start in racing. Othwise for carving, poles are a waste of time.

I think the progression and drills we use for carving on alpine boards works well. Starting with cross over turns and working up to cross unders and throughs. It's rather like linking heelside turns in terms of angulation. From inline skating I naturally pressured the inside ski and I think that makes it easier. Traditional skiers learning to carve have problems with that. The commitment to the turn (esp. downhill edge) is natural to alpine boarders and again this is an advantage.

The problem now is people think I'm a great skier because I can carve well. The truth is, once I'm off my edges I suck.

Then the decisions get hard, new skis or new board, etc.

BobD

post-340-141842220927_thumb.jpg

My advice is start slow and get those really short fat skis. You know, fruit boots. And soon a person with good enough balance could move up to using longer skis with poles. :biggthump

You just wanted to say the words "Fruit Boot". :eplus2:

You better not be planning your next vacation to Thailand??

I did some two-plank time last season for the first time in years, so I cuold help get my 4yo (3 at the time) going. I scored a used pair of Atomic M11's (12m sidceut) from a fellow Bomberite, wow they were easy! I would take some runs on them when I was having an off day carving and was amazed at how easily I could carve turns on them. (I know, 12m on skis is light 7 on a board - that was intentional, since I tool around with my kid on them!)

If you get moderns, shaped skis it'll be a piece of cake. "If it were easy it would be called skiing" :eplus2:

Just don't slip and call him "Bomberette" :cool:

Those are actually the longest they made, they would say those were

right for your weight. Believe it or not. :smashfrea

I started skiing and snowboarding at the same time (but dropped skiing because boarding was way more fun). Skiing was much easier for me to learn than boarding... in fact it seemed so easy that I was almost bored with it. Im sure you'll be riding all over within your first 3 or 4 days.

Just don't slip and call him "Bomberette" :cool:

Those are actually the longest they made, they would say those were

right for your weight. Believe it or not. :smashfrea

No question they are right for my weight - in fact I bet I could ride the 162's if I wanted to (Mine are 172). They are VERY solid underfoot. The tight sidecut is what makes 'em so easy to ski.

I taught myself to ski last year, but tele and alpine. It wasn't all that hard. My first day out on the teles, I had an instructor with a group of students use me as a model for how to keep your upper body quiet. so evidently I was doing something good.

I skiied maybe 12 times last season? I'm debating whether to get a tele setup, but it's just nowhere near as fun as boarding.

By Bobd

The problem now is people think I'm a great skier because I can carve well. The truth is, once I'm off my edges I suck.

100% agree. Once I venture off piste and it gets difficult I feel way more secure on my snowboard. Doing Slalom or GS Gates on Skis is IHMO way easier than on a snowboard.

And great picture. Everyone allways tells me they think I'm on a snowboard if they wouldn't see my skis, but I think I never looked as alike to snowboarding than you on your skis.