Skiing?

scotts.Scheinman

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guarantee that the person in the Elan vid can carve to technical perfection if they wanted to. That is not really what extreme carving seems to be about IMO.

The vid that you posted looks fun, but is just flawed technically in other ways.

Either way, I can go out and see racers ripping beautiful arcs any day. There are also a handful of others that I see rip arcs on skis daily. Some have near perfect technique and others are pretty bad. Like hardbooters, they all seem to make it work - good technique or not.

My point about that vid is that it was probably not made for movement analysis, it seems that it was made to broaden the horizons of skiers everywhere. Generally, I find that skiers are not looking to broaden their horizons.

Case in point - last year I took a ski clinic with a guy who is on the PSIA National Demo Team and another who was an Olympic Gold Medalist. He (the demo team guy) was teaching early edging when crossing the fall line. I thought, boy that is right up my allie. He told us that as soon as our skis cross the fall line, he wants to see us on our downhill edges. Of course, everyone there was doing skidded turns (not that there's anything wrong with that;) ) and most of them were struggling to get to the downhill edges. I took my run and laid them over on every turn. I got crap for it. I asked him "didn't you tell us to get on our downhill edges?" He said "yes, but there is no need to do it that aggressively." Me - "was there something else wrong with my technique?" Him - "no, not really, you just don't need to get them over that quickly and aggressively." Me - "but it is fun!" Him - "but that is not really what we are trying to do."

Need I say more? What were we trying to do? We were trying to make our group of skidders look like every other group of PSIA skiers on the mountain. No thanks. I am about having fun WITH good technique.

I know a PSIA L III who also took the same clinic the next day. This L III has now been snowboarding for years and does not ski much any more. When he does ski, he rips arcs like a snowboarder. He did the same thing in the clinic and had almost the same conversation with the clinician - word for word. Believe me - this guy's technique is also flawless - but we are... too aggressive?

As far as technique is concerned, anyone who has ever ridden with me or taken a lesson from me will tell you that I am all about technique. I am not, however, all about everyone looking the same the whole way down the mountain.

O.K., I am off of my soap box now.

The vid that you posted looks fun, but is just flawed technically in other ways.

I'm sure it is. I only recently started skiing and have avoided any instruction for the reasons you stated. I wanted it to be an exercise in guided discovery. Taking the carving concepts from snowboarding, I didn't want to be constricted by any traditional skiing technique. It's an interesting process and I just want to see where it takes me. If anyone wants to point out some flaws, I would appreciate it.

BobD