Note to New Members ×

Beware of the Ski Patrol

slopetool

I occasionally hear about or see the Patrol looking out for our best interests, but in fact are going over the top to keep us safe.

I treat all Ski Patrol with respect and I am very envious of their opportunities to get the best snow. But some take it to the next level and get very heated up when there is a concern. Sometimes situations are handled with a cat & mouse game in the parking lot. And more than once some ski patrol have not had my safety in mind when there is a chase. Don't they ever watch "Cops"?

I would love to hear what you guys have to offer or stories of what run ins you have had. And I would like to end with saying the Ski Patrol is the authority and we need to do whatever they say or they can threaten to clip our lift tickets or passes.:eek:

yea, hi Mike! We rode together last Spring on Palmer. You know my best riding buddy, Bryan from oldsnowboards.com.

yes, my experiences are from Mt. Hood. I have been chased down from riding the snowfields on Palmer outside the boundry.

I had two patrollers in pursuit and one intentionally skied in front of me to try to make me crash. That ended up being a verbal warning after I was done for the day.

Another time at Meadows, I was scolded for hiking up to the top of Shooting Star before the opening gate was lifted. That was by a younger patroller trying to flex his scawny muscles under his red jacket. The chip was brushed off his shoulder. ha ha

My latest incident happened on Fri. afternoon at Ski Bowl. I wanted to get one more sweet powder run in an area that was going to be roped off since it doesn't have lights for night skiing.

The patroller was ahead of me and was just starting to proceed.

He had just started to dig the ribbon out of the snow and hadn't placed any poles yet or anything.

I had a bit of pace to get through the flat part before the steep powder section. He sees me coming and flips out and yells at me to stop, stop, stop! My first reaction is to ignore him but I decide to obey..... which means I have to crash to not get too far below him. And it was not a graceful fall.

Well, I let my feelings be heard and yelled, "you, *******!, what did you do that for? I was heading down there for a great run!"

And I unclicked and marched up to him ready for an explanation.

He was a typical older patroller in his 50's, brown stained teeth, and a moustache (of course). He said there was a snowcat down there and said " you didn't want to run into a snowcat, did you?" And then he got angry and threatend to cut my ticket for calling him an *******. I apologized and told him he was the authority and whatever he says is the rule. But maybe a warning to be aware of the snowcat would have been best. I told him," I was trying to be more mature and was tired of having to outrun you guys. " He said, "outrun?, no one has ever been able to outrun me. Do you want to race?" I told him he would have met his match, as we chuckled together. I softened him up a lot when I told him I was sorry for calling him an *******. I went on my way and rode up the Upper Bowl chair, and found out the snowcat was grooming the racecourse way below the powder section I wanted to hit again. And who I thought was him skiing the section. That dirty rat.

I went back ducked his rope, and had a sick run far from where the snowcats were. And sure enough, down below. he was there directing skiiers. I thought that was it for my riding for the day. I approached him, threw up my arms and yelled" well, you busted, me!" smiling. He said with a smerk, "just get out of my sight."

Oh, and Mike - Bryan and I are going to be a Meadows tomorrow for a Carvorama. Hope to see you there.

Ed

Hey Ed, yep I remember that day on Palmer well, your runs were at about twice the speed of mine! Bryan has been hooking me up with lots of ad-hoc carving lessons, I might be able to keep up this spring or at least get closer!

I've been lucky and have avoided any serious run-ins with them thus far. I've been warned a few times about traversing onto the closed parts of lower heather, but that's it. I guess I'm being too much of a wimp!

Unfortunately I can't join you guys tomorrow, gotta work and I've got a nasty head cold (which is why I'm here and not there right now)... I might be out Wednesday if I can kick the cold by then.

Hey Slopetool if you dont like bieng yelled at why dont you join the patrol and become a advocate for boarders and carving. or may be read over the skiers responsibility code its pretty clear.

Sorry not trying to be a jerk just seeing it form the other side.

Rambo

I've had my fair bought of run ins with the ski nazis, as I often affectionately refer to them as. At my local slope, they are extremely numerous, and I have been stereotyped as a smart-ass softbooter many times. Actually, many are "ski rangers" who try to take my pass, not the lobster backs with white crosses. Mostly, the problem is the speed at which I choose to ride --often fast, but only when the slopes are clear of other skiers and riders. However, I've had my ticket taken twice for fighting with the same friend of mine, both times because he chose to take out a chunk of my tail with his skis in line. The first time, we were the next line of people to get on the lift, and the nazi told us that someone's arm could have been torn off by the lift if we had been rowdy like that. Mostly, ski patrollers just cramp my style, and I will continue to outrun them at this particular mountain. My trick, however immature and terrible, is to refuse to give them my pass. But this is always because I don't do anything that I consider dangerous and stupid. Once, while riding at about mach 2 with a friend of mine, a patroller caught up to us in the lift line and read us the riot act, but we were, literally, the only two on the slope, other than the ski nazis, who were stopped. I think he was just jealous of my carving ability being far superior to his skis. Curiously, I never seem to have any issues ever at mountains other than wachusett.

Speaking of mt hood, the other day at meadows I noticed a sign quoting an oregon statute concerting out of bounds riding. Basicly saying "don't do it or we'll fine you bigtime."

As far as I understood, because hood is national forest, no one had the authority to stop you from hiking and riding whatever you like. Now of course, if you have a lift ticket, they can clip your ticket, but if you hiked all the way up, I thought you were more or less on your own unless one of the climbing rangers had beef with you.

But from what they quoted in this statute, it looks like now roped areas of the designated ski area have been given special protection. I'd really like to look up that statute, but I can't remember the numbers.

So anyhow, beware ducking the rope at hood, there may be higher pentalties than loosing your ticket.

It's not like you sign up and you get the jacket. It's a major commitment of time. First, for the training and then for the assignments.

I tried it a few years ago and resigned half way through the season due to conflicts with work and family. That's why you see so many 50 year olds with stained teeth - they either have no family or they've grown up and moved out.

you are right there pretty big commitment. I am a patroller, trainer and now a examiner in the midwest. you are right there are a lot of old yellow patrolers out there but the only way to change the problem is from the inside out. if you are not willing to put time in to fix the problem then the problem must not be that bad.

I wear a Cross on my back because I can stand up for hard and softbooters.

Rambo

Guest glennmorton

I will agree "Slow Zone" signs are a little irritating, but having worked on the mountain for a couple of season as an instructor and seeing my share of slower skiiers bowled over by out of control people, I really have no complaints other than it would be nice if the partol could differentiate between "In control fast" and "out of control fast". The skiier that is wearing jeans and sitting down on the back of his skiis, is out of control, and should have his ticket (and jeans) torn up.

When kids or lessons are involved in the slower areas, I always either slow down or give them right of way. I have seen it to many time, and seeing a little kid smucked ain't cool.

When it comes to avalanche areas, the patrol really does know best (very fatherly statement), and most likely the area is closed for reason other than wrecking your day. I would rather be stopped from going into an area than getting a 5K bill for my rescue handed to me in the hospital, or worse.

All in all, patrol good. Iritating sometimes, militant and power tripping for sure, but generally they are there for a reason. I have to wonder how come sometimes, more so in the east coast, some of the patrolers are using the oldest gear, and are nearing the century club for age?

Glenn

This is my first post after a year's + worth of lurking - I had to put in my two-cents:

Last March, on a heelside carve, I was nailed from above and behind by a skier bombing the fall-line. She broke her clavicle. The skipatrol tobogganed her off the hill with a level of care and professionalism that made a good impression on me. So I signed up.

The classroom Outdoor Emergency Care course was 3 hours a night, 2 nights a week, for 16 weeks, plus all the hours studying the text for a written and practical exam, in addition to a CPR course and certification. So far, I've trained another ten days on the hill as a candidate, running sleds and mock incidents ranging from insulin shock to broken femurs. I've still more days training, and then a final on-hill exam before they will let me loose, unsupervised, on some of your (hopefully not though) broken arses.

I don't get paid for any of this. I volunteer my time because I feel it's worthwhile.

Don't you dare paint me as a ski-nazi. Policing is no reason I want to do this. Don't talk to me about glamour either - not when it's below freezing, sleeting sideways, the hill is empty, but someone (me) still has to go out and pull pads up on lift towers. So I get a couple of early runs once in a while - with bamboo, a drill, nets, and enough first-aid equipment weighing me down to kill any style I might have once had.

And as for those mustachioed, yellow teethed old geezers: On my hill anyway, frequently those are the ones you want first-on-scene if you're in a wreck. They know loads (both paid and volunteer patrol).

Oldest gear??? Sweetheart, I'm riding a brand new Donek Incline with Catek Olympic step-ins (thanks Rambo, for the good advice on plates - they're working out really well). In fact, I could probably be running a sled and still beat you buggers down the hill.

Carve safely.

Ski Patrol is like a cop - when you get pulled over for speeding - you get all pissed off and you curse the whole profession. But when you are in trouble - car wreck or getting mugged or what not - you are PRAYING for one to come and help you out.

Having worked for a number of years now as an instructor - and having called ski patrol number of times to help someone who's hurt (including once in my own lesson, unfortunately) - I know better than to think that Ski Patrol is all glamour and first runs privilege. These folks earn their first runs ten- or even hundred-fold. No doubt.

Do they over-step their authority every now and then and yell at you for riding too fast? Yes, they do. But it's mostly because they have a VERY clear picture in their heads of WHAT you are going to look like if you make a BAD mistake at THAT speed . . . You may not think about it, but I'm pretty sure THEY do . . .

From me personally - mad props to anyone who chooses to volunteer their time and go out there and mark the dangerous spots and deal with people in various stages of injury and what not.

I'll rank these folks right up there with the firefighters and EMT's.

JMHO.

I like "slow zones". They're generally where there are lots of people, and although I'm entirely capable of not hitting them, I can't be sure it works the other way. I'm happy to go slow myself as a trade. I'm also happy for novices to have a place to hang out on "slow" runs, rather than get in my way on black mogul fields.

That said, I've never had any trouble blasting through slow zones when the slopes are empty. I presume that the ski-patrollers are applying their common sense.

I've never had any trouble with any ski patrol people, but I guess they're the same as anyone else. If one yelled at me (other than to get my attention), I'd certainly put some time in to calm them down and understand that such behaviour is rude and unhelpful.

Guest glennmorton

Mabye I have been proven wrong about my old gear comment.

I have just noticed it recently when there was a couple of patrollers on Rossi 7G's cruising Whiteface on the weekend, and at St.Anne 2 weeks before, 2 guys on snowboards with the most budget looking set up (rental style step ins - Liquid boards from 95 or so).

When I lived in Whistler, no question all patrollers ripped, on the latest and greatest. Just noticed that this isn't so much true on some east coast mountains.

Hey guys and gals, I really appreciated the feedback.

Being a ski patroller is cool. And I hope I relay the respect everyone deserves. But lets hear some stories of run ins, conflicts, concerns, and awesome comments.

Maybe some of us were naughty before we were "bombers"

but I'm not getting that perception. Has anyone taken a swing at a patroller? Not that I would, because that would be stupid.

The Ski Patrol are friends of us all. But am I the only one that have been in a pursuit?

I doubt it. Lets hear it -

Swing? I've taken many great runs with but never a swing at a patroller. In my experience they're 'kindred souls' who are equally stoked to be on the mountain. I'm happy to ride with patrollers as they are passionate, knowledgeable, and skilled about what they do--and they know the best secret stashes on the mountain!

Originally posted by slopetool

But lets hear some stories of run ins, conflicts, concerns, and awesome comments.

Maybe some of us were naughty before we were "bombers"

but I'm not getting that perception. Has anyone taken a swing at a patroller? Am I the only one that have been in a pursuit?

I doubt it. Lets hear it -

I am a pretty nonconfrontational guy, and that works pretty well for me in life in general. No reason to get in a fight all the time. Occasionally a mountain safety or ski patrol guy will yell at me for going a little too fast in a slow zone (I try not to go too fast but sometimes I forget because I'm a pretty controlled rider), and I usually just nod and wave at them to show that I heard them, and skid off all my speed. They usually say "thanks," probably because the nod and skid alone shows that I noticed and acknowledged them, whereas probably 95% of the people they yell at probably don't even notice them.

This is the way I look at it: The vast majority of people riding as fast as me are actually stupid and out of control, so from their point if view it's hard to fault them for assuming I'm an out-of-control idiot, too. By obeying them I show that I am aware of my surroundings, am in control, and respect the fact that they're just trying to do their job.

My 2c.

Originally posted by klaucke

My trick, however immature and terrible, is to refuse to give them my pass.

Actualy Iwas told this years ago by an attorney (SP) that when you puchase your pass it becomes your property and you're not required to give it to anyone,seeing that it states and this is ageneral paraphrase 'you accept that skiing/snowboarding can be hazardous and you procede at your own risk. Maybe there is a Lawyer/carver can verify this that once puchased your pass becomes your property. As far as REAL ski patroll +'s on the back I have never seen them give anybody a hard time, unless they are totaly out of controll. The ones I see giving people a hard time are (in my area are called safety rangers) and as far as I know in no way affiliated with the national ski patroll. They are employed by the resort, I've even seen them checking passes in the lift line. As far as I know they have no arrest powers so if they try to physicaly take your pass that would probably constitute assault. Just a few thoughts. Barring all of the above I have had for the most part positive experiences with both Ski patroll and 'Safety rangers with the occasional over zealous safety ranger type.

I have not had any trouble with the ski patrollers up here in Marquette, MI. I have actually talked to many of them while out at the hill, and have gotten nothing but respect and good comments. There are very few if any regular hardbooters there, so I do stand out, so most of them do know that I am the boarder on the NMU team. I dunno if this gets me some leeway with going fast, but they just leave me be when I am am doing a Super G run, or weaving through traffic. Now something I do that might also give me some slack is that I yell that I am overtaking someone on the right/left. Just my expiriances and two cents on the subject :cool:

Derek

Guest mphdemon

I can easily see just about everyone's point of view on this topic. I realize that sometimes ski patrol over reacts or pisses people off, and I can see that they are much needed. I can understand why they might act like they do and why we can act like we do. What I think would be perfect, and even though it will probably never happen is if ski patrol based what they did on the ability of the skier or rider. Obviously they can't know how everyone ski's but it is pretty obvious, to me at least, who knows what they're doing and who doesn't, simply based on their clothes, equipment, and the way they carry themselves. This might not work all the time, there is always that one person who has all the right gear and appears to have some skill but that is in reality a complete novice. But for the most part I think that people will know their own boundries on a mountain. I've never heard some one, on their first day say "lets take that glades trail". I don't think that this will ever happen but I think that this would probably be one of the more perfect situations that maybe we could all strive for.

As for Ski patrol, you guys rock!!, I used to be CPR certified and that was hard enough, I can't imagine what you guys have to go through. I hope that maybe some of you will take what I've said into account. And if I've said anything that is insulting in any way (I don't think I did) it was unintentional. You guys are all well respected in my book. And sorry if I've used any of you as gates, haha:D .

Originally posted by Rambo

Hey Slopetool if you dont like bieng yelled at why dont you join the patrol and become a advocate for boarders and carving. or may be read over the skiers responsibility code its pretty clear.

Sorry not trying to be a jerk just seeing it form the other side.

Rambo

Beacue, my dear friend, Si Patrol is a job - not fun spending time. This is duty and it is not supposed to do with fun of riding or skiing that we enjoy.

And also because of that many ski patrollers get cranky or not reasonable in their behavior towards people who can ride or ski better and faster than themselves.

They sometimes even accuse you of not watching back while they run at you (and that is their fault - to be discussed in front of their manager on duty before letting them touch your purchased ticket.

Most of the problems you seem to have with Ski Patrol could be ironed out if they were to change the name.

I can forsee a "She Patrol" where attractive women without high level skiing abilities try and chase us about.

I can see Nikki Cox pulling me over at teh lift area to say I was overtrenching a particluar area.

"Sir?"

me- "yes????"

"I noticed you were getting really low at speed. I know you are trying to increase your leg strength for something....perhaps we could cross train together off the slope after this shift? I could use some help with squats."

me- "well.....uhhhh...sure...Why not? And uh... I won't get you in trouble...I'll slow down.....here, look at my pass so you'll remember my name and know how to reach me."

NOW THAT would be a lot better.

The only problem I could forsee is if they Synchronize (And I don't mean sychronized skiing) then watch out!

________

Herbal shop