Note to New Members ×

Oxymoron? Bump grooming machines

Slim

Found this while surfing the other day:

"...Bachelor doesn't stop their grooming here. The resort also offers great bump skiing with machine-made moguls. Yep - machine made. While many of the mogul runs are left ungroomed to be bumped up naturally, others are constructed by grooming machines with articulating blades. "

Anyone ever ridden machine-made bumps?

"...Bachelor doesn't stop their grooming here. The resort also offers great bump skiing with machine-made moguls. Yep - machine made. While many of the mogul runs are left ungroomed to be bumped up naturally, others are constructed by grooming machines with articulating blades. "

I haven't ridden them, but I've seen them. I believe that all the Olympic bump/mogul competition courses are machine-made as all the moguls are virtually identical in size and shape.

Article:

http://www.nwsource.com/outdoors/scr/of_story.cfm?category=Snowsports&id=10079

I have never seen man-made bumps at Bachelor. But I have ridden them on Plamer @ Hood during the summer. They were a lot like the tougher skier-made bumps that one might encounter. I sucked in them.

An aside, some of the info in this article is out of date or incorrect. Example - Sparks Lake run is narrow in most spots but not that steep; Top of Snapshot alley is the steepest often-groomed run on the mountain, but it flattens and narrows as you go down too. Overall, Bevelrly Hills on Summnit is the fastest run on the hill. And how dare they give away my secret stash!!!!!!

We have machine made bumps at Roundtop and they are oh so tasty!:biggthump

There is nothing like having a perfect rhythm - no matter how you choose to ride them.

They have started putting them on the side of the bunny slope for beginner mogul riders too. There is nothing like starting new mogul riders in a perfectly groomed mogul field.

The only drawback is the reduced gnar factor. Most people would not see that as a drawback though.

Needless to say I flew over the crest of the hill (not realizing that they could even make them that quickly) expecting the hill to be flat groomed. First couple of bumps were cool and then the third one threw me in the air did a full flip and landed on my back. I was O.K. and I learned a lesson.

Sorta OT, but this is exactly what happened to me as I attempted to steer clear of ski school class on my race board in the back bowl of Vail. Guess what snapped? My tibia. Oh joy.

As for man-made cats, yea we got 'em. I just never seen 'em in action. And as for steep pitches, wouldn't a winch cat be able to make moguls at all ?

If I remember correctly (it really was a while ago) Blue Mountain used to be the Demo center for the Bombardier groomers and all the new equipment was demo'd there for the resorts to test and buy. The unit was an attachment and was located in the rear of the groomer and had two arms that "lobster clawed" the snow into perfect "egg carton" moguls. Perfectly spaced and shaped moguls. But like I said in the post above....watch out.

\

I was there for one of their Demo days and one of our groomer operators almost backed over the tiller as the plastic sheet folded under the rotating drum. I was quite funny for us but not for the demo staff. It sure was nice driving top of the line equipment though.

They did show us how to make moguls on a slope, but the ones they made were 12 feet apart and staggered. they would build some snow in front of the blade then lift the blade and drive over it while tilling it then dig up another blade full and drop it again. they would then go back up and move over half a mogul width and make some in between the previous ones.

... I avoid bumps like the plague. I have no idea how one might ride a bump run on a snowboard...

Does anyone have any pointers in how you ride these dang things? I can normally do three or four until the board gets "too long" and I can't turn it quick enough, and I end up falling onto my hands and getting stuck in the ruts.

Ideas? I'd really like to try and develop some new skills this year, and this is one of them...

the best bump rider I ever saw ona board was a guy named Jason Morvay out of Tahoe. he would stop at the top of a run, pick his line, and charge it. the idea is to find a relatively straight path through the bumps that puts you on the sides - not in the trench and not over the top - picture a v-shaped profile. approach with good speed and just keep your knees flexed and your feet moving.

that being said, I did it in hard boots back then but wouldn't even think about it now. soft boots are the way to go due to the additional impact absorption from the easier ankle flex. My knees keep me out of the bumps now.

I love bumps. I recommend working on your short turns on a steep groomed slope. If you can't switch edges every second or so, work on it until you can. One thing I've seen instructors do is have students pressure the nose and swing the tail back and forth. It's very difficult to make a full carved turn in bigger bumps, you just want to set your edge and turn for a short while, then bring the board across and set the other edge. Big round turns like you usually do don't fit in with the bumps. The bumps are dictating your turn shape and rhythm, you have to flow with them or they'll buck you. Finally, don't be afraid of the fall line. If you feel a little out of control, turn down the fall line.

PS You have to keep your upper body fairly quiet and let your lower body do all the work. You can't get all leaned over like a normal carving turn. Bend your knees lots, lots of dynamic action. Often you'll be jumping from one turn to the other, but even if you're not doing that there is a lot of serious unweighting going on to get those edge changes in time.

PPS As far as equipment goes, a shorter board that's not race-board stiff is good. I'm using a Coiler AM 172 and it's OK. My old Prior 4WD 165 was a little softer and I liked that better. My Tanker 200 is a little too much work, but I can muscle it through if they're not too deep. I'm using hard boots, but they're soft ones (Raichle 224) and moderate (45 degree) angles.

... I avoid bumps like the plague. I have no idea how one might ride a bump run on a snowboard...

Does anyone have any pointers in how you ride these dang things? I can normally do three or four until the board gets "too long" and I can't turn it quick enough, and I end up falling onto my hands and getting stuck in the ruts.

Ideas? I'd really like to try and develop some new skills this year, and this is one of them...

I'm no bump expert, but I enjoy them on my own terms. If the bumps are frozen, I'm not going in unless by mistake. I prefer a softer board for bumps. My Axis (now Access) is a bit on the stiff side for bumps (especially if trees are involved). I also need to have my boots in the powder mode or I'm screwed.

It sounds like you are not using the bumps to keep your speed controlled.

- Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the responses. I'm keen to find an image or two of these types of machine-made bumps. Anyone know where there might be some?

Thanks again.

Try either camoplast (bombardier) or pisten bully website ?

EDIT: Prinoth's back in the game!

I have some vhs video of riders going through man made bumps. I'm heading out of town right now, but maybe next week I can capture some video for you.

Historically , "Bump Snowboard" contests used to be a big part of comps.

Some of the early videos had more "Bump" action footage than either sl, gs or half-pipe. Pretty entertaining and amazing skill sets

hit em high center and turn on the tops line up for the next one. stay out of the trench. worked great on old mseries and pj boards with hard boots but the new boards are to stiff so a soft setup is easier on bump days.