CarvCanada

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

anyone ever have a good time at Eldora Mtn. CO? didnt think so.....:nono:

I have had a good time at Eldora. Not a great time, but a good one. Actually, if Corona is groomed, you can throw down some nice EC carves. Mainly, though, I go there because I'm lazy and it's soooooooooooo NICE to have a short drive.

quite a few vertically challenged hills in southern Ontario.

5 min up and less than 30 sec down

Chicopee and Batawa are two that I went to when my kids were racing. When the races were over we didn't bother staying.

at 300' my little MtKirby is not the smallest

Boreal, in Lake Tahoe. All you ice coasters might win this contest on "quality of snow and trails" but it's hard to beat Boreal on "100% of trails are terrain parks, 100% of riders are thugs, 100% of days have at least one fistfight in the liftline". What a disaster that place is.

Blue Hills...Boston, MA.

'nuf said

definately gota agree on this one. 1 ancient slow lift, i believe you can actually see other people getting older as you go up. 1 trail that takes about 2 turns to get down, and a lift story from hell. Was there on, luckily, a sunny afternoon for a usasa comp. riding the lift and then it stopped. had to sit on the chair for about 30 minutes with it completely stopped, all while dangling a dizzying 3ft off the ground. finally the lift starts moving again at the slowest pace i ever thought possible, they actually had to hand crank it to get everyone off the lift. I was told if i jumped i would be arrested, since it's apparently against MA law to jump from a chairlift, those people had obviously never seen this lift. i'd say it took about an hour to get to the top, while i could have walked up in about 10 minutes.

Plus it's in a dry county, or atleast on the boarder of one, and the closest bar doesnt accept out of state id's

definately gota agree on this one. 1 ancient slow lift, i believe you can actually see other people getting older as you go up. 1 trail that takes about 2 turns to get down, and a lift story from hell. Was there on, luckily, a sunny afternoon for a usasa comp. riding the lift and then it stopped. had to sit on the chair for about 30 minutes with it completely stopped, all while dangling a dizzying 3ft off the ground. finally the lift starts moving again at the slowest pace i ever thought possible, they actually had to hand crank it to get everyone off the lift. I was told if i jumped i would be arrested, since it's apparently against MA law to jump from a chairlift, those people had obviously never seen this lift. i'd say it took about an hour to get to the top, while i could have walked up in about 10 minutes.

Plus it's in a dry county, or atleast on the boarder of one, and the closest bar doesnt accept out of state id's

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I actually asked a New Yorker last year on the lift about Ice Coast resort recommendations and he asked "why would you want to go there? It's 10 degrees warmer here and the snow is better" And the snow was crap that day...

Hearing that they won't accept out of state IDs at some places????

What I am supposed to use? My gray hair?

well, three things about Kansas

the name gives you a heads up to what you are in for

if you are waxed you should never have to stop and skate

you don't have to use the whole trail to get out of there

Tremblant does suck on a off day but blue hill and nashoba got it beat by far.

I for one am not really a fan of Loveland either mainly due to crappy lifts

Cortina? Didn't hear that place referenced on The Sopranos last night ;) ?

Don't dis Eldora....I'm planning to stop there next year as a way point for the trip to Grand Lake...nothing would beat the I-70 blues better than a quick side trip....

trailsimg.jpgnot as bad as Villa Olivia, but pretty close. Their parking lot is bigger than the surface area of all their runs combined.

though i do have to admit, they have one thing going for them:

theyre the only place within an hour from my house open on weekdays and for night riding.

How can you call a run a black when even the most newbie novice out there can navigate it, with just a little patience and gumption?

I really should visit some of these places, just to see.....

because the map wouldnt look nearly as colorful if every trail was marked green!

Gotcha....

On a related note, I was looking at trail maps to find the next family excursion, now that Utah and I have become estranged, and note Telluride has "double greens"...

I can buy double blacks, and maybe double blues-although I think a blue-black, as in black and blue, is a better description, but a double green?

Telluride also appears to have more double greens than greens....

Is it that the double green is really a green and the "greens" should be renamed "walking required" or perhaps "Texas", since "Kansas" is already taken...

Strike calling them "Texas" since TX has mtns-"Houston"

Double greens? WTF?:confused:

Although Jiminy Peak (MA) has a system of Green, Green circle in Blue square, Blue, Black diamond in Blue square, Black, and Double Black. That i can deal with... i actually like it, because many runs in the same categories are harder/easier than others.

Bradford is where my high school's race team practices. Well lets just say that after 8 or 9 times of skiing sunday river, my skiing was somewhat comparable to some of that of the people on the ski team.

Sad, i know. You can't really get that good on a hill like that.

I never had the time to actually go to the blue hills with wachusett near by, even thats not too great, but great for leanring. I got 20+ days at wachu and I'm satisfied for now. 15 of them were at night.

Never really been to a bad resort though.

Gotcha....

On a related note, I was looking at trail maps to find the next family excursion, now that Utah and I have become estranged, and note Telluride has "double greens"...

I can buy double blacks, and maybe double blues-although I think a blue-black, as in black and blue, is a better description, but a double green?

Telluride also appears to have more double greens than greens....

Is it that the double green is really a green and the "greens" should be renamed "walking required" or perhaps "Texas", since "Kansas" is already taken...

Strike calling them "Texas" since TX has mtns-"Houston"

Is a double green more or less difficult than a single green??

green = easy

double green = way easy?

Cochran's Ski Area (pronounced cock earn)in Richmond,VT looks pretty rinky dink but the family has quite a history in ski racing http://www.cochranskiarea.com/images/CSA_winter_2001/MM_skier01.JPG I spoke with Jimmy a month ago just before the race at the Loaf http://www.sugarloaf.com/press.html?id=937&nobar=1

On the subject of hills with little vertical... I suggest Glen Eden, just west of Toronto, Ontario. I learned to ski there when I was a tyke, then when Derek took me mountain biking for the very first time, the very first thing we did was bike up the hill I'd learned to ski on. It looks a lot smaller now that I'm a lot taller.

We've gone up a few times with the boards and the game is one time up you do as many turns as possible (course record is 18) and the next time as few as possible. I've done as few as 2. They're local, they have night skiing and you can go through the fence at the bottom, land on a freight train and be out west in 5 days.

trail map is at http://www.gleneden.on.ca/trailmap.shtml

I have to agree with the assessment of Tremblant. We went a few years back and were charged an additional $5 since it was reading week... Lift tickets were $72 and I got only 5 runs in for the day the bleeding lines were so long. The hills were nothing to write home about either.

beth