Note to New Members ×

NASTAR 2016-2017

Jack M

(Apologies to any "real" racers trying to use this forum)

Who's in?  Some familiar names here: http://skiracing.nastar.com/index.jsp?year=2017&source=selectrankings2&pagename=viewrankings&overallsnowboard=Y&male=Y

Doing beer league on Wednesday nights at Shawnee Peak, Maine.  My standing is one better with Todd Brown out of the country!

• Like 1

On 1/11/2017 at 7:54 PM, theboarderdude said:

Do handicaps seem down to anyone else this year? Even looking at the pacesetter's handicaps, they seem to be lower as well. On another note I am definitely enjoying our -20 snowboard discount. I certainly felt like -10 didn't put us on a level playing field with skiers.

The +20 bump is nice!  At my age (70), I only need a 43 HC to hit Platinum.

I set stubbies last Sunday at Okemo and will do so every Sat and Sun this season as long as there isn't a private race scheduled.  

If your schedule permits, join us at Okemo for the Eastern Championships Jan 27-28.  You'll have to race in ski gates but it's worth coming over to race.  Pacesetting will be done by recently retired US Ski Team member Marco Sullivan.

Edited by patmoore
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Gleb said:

I was told there are people racing at the Wachusett NASTAR course on Mondays. Is anyone still doing that? 

Yeah Gleb I am racing on Mondays with Arden our team name is 5 Guys and a Babe. Our crew of HB's racers has diminished over the years. Hopefully we can get a bigger crew for next season. Our team came in 3rd last season for the Good Race. I do need some competition to push me, right now I am racing against skiers.It is now to late to jump on a team as we are already 3 weeks into racing.

Join us this coming weekend st Okemo for the NASTAR Eastern Championships. 

https://www.nastar.com/eastern-champs

We'll have ski gates but it's a fun course. Pacesetting will be done by by recently retired US Ski Team member Marco Sullivan. Party and awards Saturday night plus live band. 

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:54 PM, theboarderdude said:

Do handicaps seem down to anyone else this year? Even looking at the pacesetter's handicaps, they seem to be lower as well. On another note I am definitely enjoying our -20 snowboard discount. I certainly felt like -10 didn't put us on a level playing field with skiers.

Only been out a few times but mines been up, they flattened out the start when putting in Neveplast

On 1/11/2017 at 7:54 PM, theboarderdude said:

I think if you have an honest pacesetter, not a sandbagger, the 10 was a good measure, but 20, wow.

My measuring stick is...I'm a 4 on skis and a 7 on an alpine board, before the sandbagging became annoying;)

23 minutes ago, DonPablo said:

I've noticed at hills with flatter starts (no poles/no skating on a board) = higher handicaps. Nothing to do with the Neveplast, just the reason why the hill now has less slope at the start.

My hill pounds in poles on both sides of the start, not that we've had any races this season, to allow for boarders to get a pull out of the blocks.

Ask you hill to pound in a couple of short 4x4's on stakes at the start. We mount the wand off of one of the 4x4s. Doesn't bother skiers one bit.

• Like 2

The lack of poles or skating sure didn't slow down Justin Reiter at the slalom event at last year's NASTAR Nationals at Steamboat.  Here he is going head to head with Jackie Wiles, US Downhill Champion.  Jackie just picked up her first World Cup Podium last week.  BTW, Justin won by 0.01

This was taken on their second run.

birm8j.jpg

Edited by patmoore
  • Like 4

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:57 PM, lonbordin said:

My hill pounds in poles on both sides of the start, not that we've had any races this season, to allow for boarders to get a pull out of the blocks.

Ask you hill to pound in a couple of short 4x4's on stakes at the start. We mount the wand off of one of the 4x4s. Doesn't bother skiers one bit.

We start out of a starting house,  the snow is a couple inches deep, not possible to put poles into the snow.

Even in that video Justin is behind in the start and then makes it up. All I'm saying is compare your handicaps between different race hills where one has a very steep start and another that has a non-steep start. You will see lower snowboard handicaps when the start is steeper because you are at a less of a dis-advantage for not being able to skate and use poles. You're saying poles and skating provide no benefit, then why would they do it?

• 1 month later...

I ended finishing my NASTAR season on a high note and had the best season racing I have had in a long time. I race at Wachusett which has a pretty big league. I was shocked to find out I finished 1st overall (based on handicap) for the Good Race (which is the top 30-60 teams that qualified for this race). I guess that 20 point handicap really helped out. :eek:

Good Race results

• Like 4

Anyone up White Mountain area this upcoming weekend? My son and I do Nastar at Bretton Woods and would love to see the competition from snowboarders.  Ping me if anyone will be up that way Saturday or Sunday. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the 2017 NASTAR Nationals at Steamboat.  Had a blast!  On Feb 26 I had broken my collarbone.  Hitting gates was a bad idea so I left my skis home but did take my Madd 171 and made one cautious run each day.  Since I was unopposed this year in my age group I managed to pick up my 11th National title.  A bigger thrill was watching my grandsons race.  The seven and nine year olds each took 2nd in their divisions while the five year old became only the fourth racer in NASTAR history to win their age group in both skiing AND  boarding.  In the video below he's being hoisted on the podium by four-time Olympian AJ Kitt.  In the Family Race on Saturday, my son-in-law finished 7th overall out of 149 racers.  Two of the guys ahead of him are ex-US Team (Kitt, and Eric Schlopy).  He managed a nine handicap which is lightning fast.

The nine year old was the only one in his group not in a speed suit or on race skis (he was on twin tips).  He missed winning by 0.02%.  I had fun putting this video together.  There's very little boarding in it but it will give you an idea of what it's like to compete at the Nationals.   Hope you can join us next year!

• Like 4