Note to New Members ×

How are you guys transporting your longboards?

Scorpio

I just bought a 195cm board and realized that it's a pain to put in my car. I have to fold down the rear seats, and push the front passenger seat all the way up and fold it forward. Its a honda so I know space is limited. The only cost effective option is a roofrack. The other option is to get an SUV but that's not really an option since I can't afford a new car. I can use a pick up truck but since I carry multiple boards with me, I can't leave boards in the bed when I'm on the hill. How is everyone else transporting their 195cm+ boards to the hill?

a 205cm board fits perfectly between the trunk of a subaru wrx and the shifter when in 4th gear. My 175 was built because it fits between the trunk and does not come in front of the passanger seat. 85 and 95 are someplace inbetween.

DO NOT get a roof rack, unless its a box. Ive heard questionable stories there as well with salt damage to edges. In my opinion, I will sooner drive from the roof than put my boards there ;-)

I had a custom longboard bag made for my Winterstick Swallowtail, that also fits my Oxygen Proton and 2-3 other boards at the same time.

It is designed to be used as the check-in board bag for airline trips, as well as mate with the roof-racks of the rental cars when I get to my destination.

It protects the boards from road grime and salt, and I pad the boards inside the bag with 3mm evasote foam shims to keep them from getting scratched in transit.

Finally, I designed the handles to slot into the bag for transport, so that it would minimize road wind noise, as well as give a slot for the boards to be chained together and locked to the roof rack with a cable lock if necessary.

This way I can travel with a full quiver of boards for varied conditions and resorts.

My Tanker 200 fits in the back of the celica, no problems.

I rarely even put the back seats up, they live in the lying down position.

When I had a smaller car I could fit my eight foot surfboard in by just lying the front seat back and then putting the seatbelt on the board. But, now I`ve got a wife to transport as well;).

I`ve now got a roofrack for the surfboards and I`ve tried putting the snowboards up there but I really don`t like the way the nose vibrates in the wind when your traveling at highway speeds.

I think that`s probably aging/stressing the board more than me riding it.

I`ll get a box on the rack for next season.

Get yourself a nice Roofbox. It's also very safe. I wouldn't think what could happen if you brake your car with power, what would happen with your boards that are lying loose in your car :nono: Just my 2 eurocents.

Greets, Hans.

This may sound crazy but i put in a false bed bottom in my pickup. A simple box frame with a plywood hinged top and a bed mat covering the whole thing . I also put a lock on it (but more for a visual deterrent). I have to put the 197 Burner in diagonally (short bed Toyota). The whole thing raises the bed bottom up about 6" so you don't notice anything really unusual unless the tailgate is down.

(surfinsmiley) I`ve now got a roofrack for the surfboards and I`ve tried putting the snowboards up there but I really don`t like the way the nose vibrates in the wind when your traveling at highway speeds.

Which makes me wonder -

1. Do you put them on the rack with front of board to front of vehicle?

and

2. WHY????.

I've used racks for years, always mounted skis and boards with tip of sticks to the rear of the ride. NEVER had any speed shakes/wobbles - think whale-tail as in Porche.

A small box is a great addition (e.g. Thule's Mountaineer) - both racks and box fit on vehicle and give you option for quick in/out w/ racks or x-tra security of box.

In regards to ~tb's comment re. salt damage: being on the West Coast, specifically in the Sierra's or Siskiyous, this never even occured to me. They don't use road salt in CA or NV so that's never been an issue, however w/ Scorpio being near the coastline, it could be an issue due to ambient(?) salt in the air??

Dunno.

Put the front seat down. That's what I did with my 210. If you've got passengers they'll deal with having a board next to them.

Albeit I have a thunderbird, basically a boat with wheels.

Guest Tim Tuthill

Speed: Can you say too much time on your hands and money to burn? I got a Rocket box for the roof rack. Works well for long trips if I take all the boards, otherwise I put em inside my Honda Pilot.

In regards to ~tb's comment re. salt damage: being on the West Coast, specifically in the Sierra's or Siskiyous, this never even occured to me. They don't use road salt in CA or NV so that's never been an issue, however w/ Scorpio being near the coastline, it could be an issue due to ambient(?) salt in the air??

Dunno.

I doubt that ambient salt in the air from the ocean would be much of an issue. . . road salt is my main concern. If you put a board outside, and drive on roads that are salted, your edges can be wrecked in a 3 hour drive. sighhhhhhhhh. when will my parents learn.

I doubt that ambient salt in the air from the ocean would be much of an issue. . . road salt is my main concern. If you put a board outside, and drive on roads that are salted, your edges can be wrecked in a 3 hour drive. sighhhhhhhhh. when will my parents learn.

Ya, the ambient thing was a stretch:freak3: I just know that cars from the coast tend to have rust issues long before inland vehicles. And Scorpio is right, unless you left the boards on the rack all the time, it wouldn't be an issue. Sure glad we don't have to deal w/ road salt here.

On similar issue: My wife's uncle was here recently from CO. He said that out there, when temps reach freezing, they spray/apply some sort of liquid to the roads that prevents road surface freeze? I'm guessing it's something like they use to de-ice aircraft?? At any rate he said it ruins brake systems very quickly. Anyone w/ experience &/or info on this?

On similar issue: My wife's uncle was here recently from CO. He said that out there, when temps reach freezing, they spray/apply some sort of liquid to the roads that prevents road surface freeze? I'm guessing it's something like they use to de-ice aircraft?? At any rate he said it ruins brake systems very quickly. Anyone w/ experience &/or info on this?

They do that in Oregon too. My old Durango went through brake pads and rotors like crazy. And the suspension was shot before its time. Hmmmmmmmmm..... Whether de-icing liquid, winter road grime, freeze/thaw, I have no doubt that the intesnive winter use of that vehicle had everything to do with it. They don't salt around here - they use dirt and gravel, and while that's not corrosive, it's plenty abrasive....

They use a product on the roads here called "Magnesium Chloride". Melts the snow as it hits the road, thus lots of slush and spray, carrying the mag with it.

Sounds like it really affects copper, ie wiring under your car. Ya, can't think it is good for other metals either, but don't know about the chemical reaction. Any chemists out there?

I have a cloth tonau cover for the f-150 also, keeps everything completely dry in the back.

Ya, the ambient thing was a stretch:freak3: I just know that cars from the coast tend to have rust issues long before inland vehicles. And Scorpio is right, unless you left the boards on the rack all the time, it wouldn't be an issue. Sure glad we don't have to deal w/ road salt here.

It's magnesium chloride.....

I noticed a bit of rust on the edges of my Alp when I got back from CO. None on my Custom.....a bit of cleaning and a quick edge tune, and voila-rust gone.

Last year, we wrapped a tarp over the skis and board in the rack. I didn't this year because I was loading the truck myself

... I use a roof top box. The new Yakimas are pretty nice. Opens from either side, and goes on and off in less than a minute. Mine is long enough so I can't raise the liftgate on my Outback all the way though... so I padded the back of the roofbox with weather stripping to keep the liftgate paint from chipping. (Damn Subaru - they KNOW people will be using these things!) The shorter one wouldn't fit my Coiler 188... so had to get the longer one. On days when I ride my byself, I just slide the boards in the wagon bed, but when the whole family (including the dog) go... boards go up top.

Liquid Magnesium Chloride, aka LMC. Huh! Sounds like it's much cheaper for road depts. to use compared to mixing salt/sand. Chem companies selling it as "less" corrosive and with "additives" to reduce corrosion. Huh!

Generates increased vehicle part, repair & paint sales, increases sales & repairs of metallic & concrete roadway structures, increases sales & repairs of electrical transmission systems (power lines), and creates a whole new market of products to remove LMC from all of the above!! (all at no additional cost to the fed/state/local govts. that use it!!) Check this link: http://www.chemicals-globalspecialty.com/market03.html

What a deal!!

:smashfrea :smashfrea :smashfrea

ahhhhhh, but I digress......

Did I say I like my roof box?!?!?