Note to New Members ×

Why do you guys think carving appeals to engineers/science types so much

snow|3oarder

Strangely enough, I carve to get the numbers OUT of my head...

but I'll discuss parabolic sidecut calculations on the chairlift ride up...so I just need more runs to get those out of my head...it's a vicious cycle.

I am Tyler Durden on the way down though...

(edit: not an engineer but a derivatives trader - that counts, right?)

but I have seen one on TV.

Can't do the equations. But I swear sometimes it is like I have a full heads up display overlayed on the snow with a pair of parallel lines that converge on the path the board will take with present forces, trajectories. Kind of a soft glowing purple outline of where you're headed. Kind of weird i Know and I have given up all the hard stuff - I swear. :eplus2:

This doesn't really apply to anything at all, just what I thought of when I read the thread.

I am done now.

I think alpine snowboard appeals to engineering/science persons because alpine riding is (in my opinion) more technical than plain old ordinary snowboarding (I'm not talking about freestyle). It may also be about optimization (optmizing the turning curve by carving).

I can't relate. I'm a hairdresser

Daneille

As the extremecarving guys have shown us, carving is also about style. I'm sure that as a hairdresser (or harstylist), you have a great sense of style.

I love science, hate math.

I'm a wine guy. How do I fit into this? Not a clue.

Like wine alpine snowboarding is an acquired taste. If you have never tasted wine, your first taste might not be enjoyable. If you have never snowboarded before, you may not like stiff boots and a narrow board.

BTW, I'm not an engineer but I am a mechanical engineering technician. Almost the same...

I think wine and carving are extremely similar...both are complex experiences and different with each different day. Both cause a buzz but are meant to be savored rather than guzzled....

You can say the same thing for premium beers and carving, too....

Easy.

Every effort an engineer makes is an effort to simplify a current process or to achieve something that has never been done before.

Bob, I'm one of the guy's that has to make the stuff an engineer thinks up work. :AR15firin

ps. thanks again, I just dumped my Margarita down the sink :angryfire .Send me the recipe, PLEASE.

Just to rain on this parade - maybe there is no inherent appeal to engineers/science types.

Maybe the fact that we're all talking about this via a geeky medium (the intarweb) means that we're all self-selected for geekiness.

And maybe that a niche sport, where the intarweb is one of the few reliable means of accessing equipment, advice and support, means that new participants are more likely to be geeky types who are comfortable with using the intarweb in this way.

Just to rain on this parade - maybe there is no inherent appeal to engineers/science types.

Maybe the fact that we're all talking about this via a geeky medium (the intarweb) means that we're all self-selected for geekiness.

And maybe that a niche sport, where the intarweb is one of the few reliable means of accessing equipment, advice and support, means that new participants are more likely to be geeky types who are comfortable with using the intarweb in this way.

according to my calculations, this is another valid point.

He then goes on to say add 1 shot tequila and 1/2 shot Grand Marnier. If I use a 1 gallon container, it'll be a pretty weak drink.

You got a point there. I guess the one gallon mix goes to the minors :D

Unless the rita mix is the kind that already has the alcohol already mixed in.