Note to New Members ×

Helmet Recommendations

AJCdice

I got a Shawn White RED helmet dont really like it that much. The google strap on the back sucks and somebody else bought it for me so the fit is a little big. I have an old Boleri (looks like a tankers helmet) that I love but my head got fatter over the years and it does not have any airvents in it so I dont rock it anymore unless its a real cold day.

Old Giro Ravine. The only thing I don't like is that the sliding vents tend to slide on their own. That and I can never remember which way the &^$# slider works but that's just old age on my part. Anyways, it was the only one that fit my big fat melon. The fact that it's a great helmet was just gravy.

Guest rphillips

Looking for feedback on the ear pad headphones available built into helmets - I have a Gyro 9 and know they make one with speakers in the ear flaps. Seems like it would kind of suck...lots of windnoise, but would love to get rid of the ear buds I wear now.

Looking for feedback on the ear pad headphones available built into helmets - I have a Gyro 9 and know they make one with speakers in the ear flaps. Seems like it would kind of suck...lots of windnoise, but would love to get rid of the ear buds I wear now.

I ride with a couple of guys with the earflap headphones on their Giro 9's and love them.

I bought them for mine, but didn't like them because they smush my ears too much - I've got a freakishly big head and big ears, so I went back to the iPod earbuds (which suck, too, but I ride with them because I don't care if they get messed up).

Guest Ninjette

just a little side note about these......

The kits are not universal and are very specific to the helmets. It will say it on the pacakage which helmet it goes to.Not only that some of them are size specific as well. I sell these suckers all day long so of this I am sure. If you get a Giro Fuse and want the Tune Up kit make sure it goes to that helmet (the kits for the Fuse are indeed size specific). The 9.9, G10 are one size fits all. I think the Bad Lt. is too

Also for those of you who are obsessive about connectivity, the difference in the Tune Ups and Tune Ups II is that the II allows ypu to be connected to both and mp3 player and a cell phone....... yikes :eek:

just a little side note about these......

The kits are not universal and are very specific to the helmets. It will say it on the pacakage which helmet it goes to.Not only that some of them are size specific as well. I sell these suckers all day long so of this I am sure. If you get a Giro Fuse and want the Tune Up kit make sure it goes to that helmet (the kits for the Fuse are indeed size specific). The 9.9, G10 are one size fits all. I think the Bad Lt. is too

Also for those of you who are obsessive about connectivity, the difference in the Tune Ups and Tune Ups II is that the II allows ypu to be connected to both and mp3 player and a cell phone....... yikes :eek:

man...Im glad you told me that because someone else told me it wasnt true, that they all fit all helmets all sizes!

sheesh

Guest Ninjette
http://www.skihelmets.com/ ..... this site could come in handy when I am helping folks with helmets. Had a couple in a few weeks ago and the husband was getting all pissed off cuz he could not understnad why all the helmets did not fit the same. I was helping his wife and got her fitted in a Boeri Tactic - it fit her perfectly. He looked at me and said " I don't want my wife to have the most expensive helmet" ---- I just looked at him floored and walked away! some people deserve to be in a coma :smashfrea

I just thought of something...although I admittedly dont know how helmets actually protect...

wouldnt a "thermoflex" helmet be a good idea? since heads are so differently shaped?

heh..molding it would be a warm experience :angryfire but...the fit would be nice then, wouldnt it?

again...not sure if moldable material would interfere with proper protection layering, but...is this a new idea?

edit. of course it isnt. dumb post

Supposedly, the Protec multiple impact helmets (I think they call it EPS or XPS or something like that) are supposedly the only ones designed for, well, "multiple" impacts. The other helmets are more like bicycle helmets - the material absorbs the impact by deforming or even fragmenting so that one real hit is all they are good for.

Anyone believe this Protec claim or is it just marketing?

Personally, I go for fit (Protecs happen to fit me great and are cheap.)

Absolutely NO windnoise on my 9.9. I used to wear earbuds and by the third hour they started to hurt so I got the upgrade to the tuneups. The volume control mounts on the strap over the ear pads and are easy to use even with mittens. Surprisingly great sound and when turn down can hear a lot better than with earbuds in. Definitely recommended....