Note to New Members ×

Helmet Recommendations

AJCdice

Well, the sweet rooster is gonna be my next helmet. I now wear a combo of my Dainese Stinger Replica Titanium (4 years old), my new ultimate inears UE-10 pro (http://www.ultimateears.com/custom/Custom-Ear-Monitors.htm, beats everything in soundquality and craftmanship) and my Cowon iAudio X5 60 GB mp3 player (beats every Ipod about soundquality and performance, may be it's just me he loves a great quality of sound). I think :AR15firin Ipods really sucks when you are talking about quality of sound.

Greets, Hans.

Supposedly, the Protec multiple impact helmets (I think they call it EPS or XPS or something like that) are supposedly the only ones designed for, well, "multiple" impacts. The other helmets are more like bicycle helmets - the material absorbs the impact by deforming or even fragmenting so that one real hit is all they are good for.

Anyone believe this Protec claim or is it just marketing?

Personally, I go for fit (Protecs happen to fit me great and are cheap.)

I beleive it Protec makes Skateboard helmets that HAVE to take multiple impacts...my skatehelmet has taken 2 hard slams with no show or degradation of the foam.

Guest rphillips

Got a set of the tune ups 1 from Bola last night. Awesome fit. Haven't been riding with them yet, but seem great. Mine don't have a volume control - just mute. Kind of wish they would go a bit louder - have my iPod maxed and my ears aren't bleeding. Just a bit concerned about wind noise making the sound even less loud.

Nonetheless, awesome product and so stoked about not having to fumble into my coat to mute and talk to someone on the lift. Good idea about putting the mute on the helmet - I had it plugged in the other way (mute button on iPod end) and really had no good place for it. Needless to say, I looked awesome in my living room last night rocking out with a snowboard helmet on.

Looking for feedback on the ear pad headphones available built into helmets - I have a Gyro 9 and know they make one with speakers in the ear flaps. Seems like it would kind of suck...lots of windnoise, but would love to get rid of the ear buds I wear now.

The upgrade is very nice. Sound quality is very good.

You can keep the volume low enough to talk on the lift and sitll hear your tunes or loud enough to tune out the rest of what is going on.

kt

Looks like Dainese have a variety of helmets that look nice. Unfortunately they don't publish what the sizes are in cm, just "L", "XL" etc. Frustrating for those of us with the freakish melons.

I have ordered the small one for 56cm diameter head.The truth is that I had to mail them my head diam.spec.to send me the right size helmet.

As for the helmet it has really nice padding fits perfect on my head and is so light that you almost forget that you're wearing it.

Looks cool -- like something from Star Wars. :eek: Is that really for snowboarding/skiing?

Nope. It is for competition bass fishermen, but I like it. This does not look as much as Star Wars one. They had something like Star Wars helmet a few years ago, but not anymore. They had also comparments for digital cameras to mount on helmets so you could record what you see when doing your sports:

http://www.thinkhelmets.com/front.htm