Note to New Members ×

Setting bindings forward on the board

Bobby Buggs

Bobby like Pat said it does depend on your board. On my Madd I have the it on the middle inserts but the binding pushed all the way forward, this works well with Madds forward load camber. On my other boards the set ups are different, e.i. my 182 Donek is right in the middle, my 195 is more forward. You'll know that you have your setup to far forward if you start washing out on your heel side turns.

On my Donek FC I ride centered. I found my new Nidecker 177 GS has a long nose and I need to mount the bindings as far dorward as I can. I rode it centered the first day and moved them forward after a few runs because things didn't feel right. Centered on the Madd also BTW.

It is my belief, that if a board is designed correctly, you should ride it centered on the inserts. I would like to think all the people I would buy boards from would have designed it correctly.

That being said, I always mount my bindings centered on any board I ride. If It feels off, I change my riding style a hair. For example, madd's. . . I know that I have to ride that nose aggressively. So, I drive the nose harder and feed the board to neutral through the turn. I find that by moving the bindings forward, to get the full potential out of the board, that I end up too far in the back seat at the end of the turn. A board with a forward loaded camber should be easier to ride with the bindings moved forward, but at some cost in my opinion.

Once again, just my opinion.

~tb

I was thinking the same thing when I was setting up my Coiler.

I've been riding my Prior 4WD centred on it's running length. But, on the Coiler, because I'm riding with heel lift (rode the Prior flat), I know that my centre of gravity is thrown forward so I need to offset the bindings to the rear. I rode it centred on the inserts which are offset 2-3 inches back. It still didn't feel right. So, I've got a lot of experimenting to do.

BTW, Bobby, just wondering how you like the Proflex/F2 bindings?

I used to ride with an inch or two of setback, but the year before last I started working my way forward and liking the results each time. Last Sunday I started with 2cm of setback, then centered the bindings, and was happier that way. With more than a couple centimeters aft of center, I find my front quads getting tired and aching too soon because I (subconsciously) shift my weight forward to compensate. That was actually what made me start shifting the bindings forward.

But the reverse is true when the snow is soft... I end up leaning back to keep the nose up, which burns out my back leg. Moving the bindings backward helps with that.