Note to New Members ×

Opinions needed - soft or hard to start

C5 Golfer

because after decades on skis I felt more comfortable in hardboots - and because that's what my hardbooter hubby bought me as a present :D. In no way have I mastered my new toys yet, but I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

After being totally frustrated with my lack of progress early last year I tried a (click-in) soft setup, thinking that maybe carving just wasn't meant for me but surprisingly enough I actually felt even less in control. I sorely missed the stiffness and responsiveness of hard boots, I felt as if I had no control whatsoever. I have since figured out that I was attempting to learn on runs that were way to steep for me to be comfortable - something mental about refusing to be seen on a green run; I got over it, though - and things have improved quite a bit since.

I guess if carving is what you're aiming for you might as well not take a detour and start with a hardboot setup.

Maybe some of the instructors here have more input?

I started in mountaineering boots with forward angles (compared to freestyle riders), on an all mountain board. The switch to hardboots was the next logical step.

I would think softboots would be better to start if it's your first day on snow. But with the skiing background, your friend may have enough of the knowledge of how/why a board carves, so maybe the intermediate setup isn't necessary.

i started with a soft boot set up (three years ago) and looking back on it I spent most of my time on my A$$ anyway. I just didn't get how you could go downhill without pointing downwards and I am a fairly aggressive skier. At the shop after the board broke (yes) I was told that it would make more sense to just start hardbooting since they are significantly different enough. If you do start them on a soft boot set up I would recommend pointing the feet forward though. I think that would have saved me a lot of pain. Good luck!!!

If he wants to save his $$ for the time being, start him on an alpine board in his ski boots. Lots of people have done the same, and he knows how they handle at least!

I found proper hard boots a HUGE transition from ski boots though, so that's something to keep in mind.

but I would start with hard *snowboard* boots. Especially with the number of inexpensive used pairs of Raichle SB series boots out there - just have him post a "wanted" in the classifieds with his size (more likely than not the same as his ski boots - I use the same size ski and hardboot). Hardbooting will be less unfamilar than softbnooting to a skier IMHO.

so...my .02 on this topic. I don't "preach the alpine gospel" or try to convert anyone, but I do think you should educate him about the different styles and their advantages and disadvantages. Maybe he already knows he wants to do pipe and park, maybe he's not sure, maybe he wants to carve just like you.

I personally don't really understand why a starting a never ever beginner in plates is a good idea (unless he really wants to, etc.) I thought that skidding was a crucial skill, esp. for teh beginner. Our boards, some more so than others, are not designed to skid. I've never ridden an AT alpine board (like the Axis), but won't it be hard enough for a total newbie to keep his/her balance as it is, let alone the super steep we ride. We are very technique oriented, more so than a lot of newbies may understand or even want to understand. Technique overload the first time out could be frustrating, no? I'd say the most important thing is for him or her to have fun and let them do what they want, develop basic muscle memory, get a feel for different terrain, etc.

i am not at all saying it's not possible, esp. with a stronger or more athletic person, but a picture is worth 1000 words, so make a good impression on him with your riding (like we all hopefully try to do, at least most of the time) and I'd say he'll be interested in alpine. I guess it also depends on teh age, too.

please keep the heat from the flames bearable :angryfire :D

Guest Todd Stewart

well if he starts on softies then moves to hard, that will be 3 set-up he owns. Sounds a little pricey to me; if he wants to carve he might as well buy carving gear. I agree with Ray, there is no time like the present.

Hard. Easier and more appealing for skiers - from my own experience.

Skip the side slipping part, and ask him to use a lot of vertical movement in transitions (upward unweighing / cross-over) and he'll be carving in no time...

Easier off the chairlift too - you actually can controll the board with one foot only, which I don't find the case with soft boots.

As for whether soft or hard boots are easier to learn on, I think it's basically just a coin toss. If there is a difference, it's probably not enough to justify learning one before learning the other. So, ask him what kind of gear he wants to ride - Not what he wants to learn on, but what kind of gear he wants to ride when he gets good. Then start him on that kind of gear.

First let me say that I learned on an apline K2 with soft boots and 3-strap bindings back in 1990 (you could do crazy **** like that back then) and it was hard to learn. The board kept wanting to be on edge and I became really flustered. I switched to my friends freestyle board and within hours everything made sense and I could start skidding down the hill. Based on that experience and nearly 10 years of teaching others how to snowboard I would say start on a soft set up. It will be easier and more forgiving to learn on. Also a soft set up is more versitle. You can carve on a freeride board as well as ride all over the mountain. A hard set up is limiting. Finally, he doesn't even know yet what kind of turning radius and stiffness he wants in a alpine board yet. I wasted a lot of money figuring out what I wanted in a board. my recomendation, get a stiff freeride board like a Donek incline or Burton Fronter and a nice stiff boot like the Burton Drifter. He'll still have fun, be able to learn and carve fairly well.

Skier here. (26 years!!!) I jumped right into hardboots. The hardest part was figuring out how to coordinate both legs while fixed to the same surface. :smashfrea

My girlfriend started on softies, but now she rides hard :ices_ange , and ... well, she likes it hard. :biggthump For giggles, she went back to soft for a day, and now wants nothing to do with it. (And asked me why I bothered to start her on softies. :boxing_sm )