Note to New Members ×

Practice Drills

Jack M

We did this one today:

Form groups of three, with snowboards off on flat ground. One of the three will stand in their snowboard stance between the other two (they will be on the toe and heel side of a virtual snowboard).

Ask the person in the middle to keep his feet planted on the snow and to sway back and forth, using his partners for support (like the 'willow in the wind' trust initiative). Have him start out by keeping his legs extended, so that he makes an inverted pendulum movement back and forth between the two support partners, who gently 'catch' and 'push' the rider back to the other partner.

After several repetitions, ask the rider to flex his legs through the transition between partners, keeping his head the same height off the snow. Encourage him to extend the legs as he moves towards each partner, and flex again through the transition--exactly the same way he will when he makes the retraction move during the turn transition.

Obviously, it helps if each of the 'recievers' is large and strong enough to catch and push the person in the middle. Try not to partner up with a Shaq sized person if you can help it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Long Radius Retraction Turns: Starting on a wide, well groomed slope, allow your legs to quickly flex through the finish of long radius carved turns. Vary the quickness and size of the flexing movement as you practice. Progress to steeper slopes and varied snow conditions as you develop your skills.

fqsua

Going full circle has already been suggested. I just could never do it but I found a way of finishing my attempts somewhat more stylishly.

I lean in low with upright body on a backside turn and at the end of the turn when the board goes straightly up the hill, just before I lose all of the remaining speed, I flip the board around 180 degrees to the inside so that it points straightly down the fall line and I can pick up speed again.

That way you can always keep going after those long turns that go past the point where you are able to link turns the usual way.

I'm looking forward to trying out some of the things mentioned here (3 weeks) and I also think it would be great to have like an article eventually with suggestions for playing with a carving board.

I dare to say that I'm stoked :) because for the first time, just looking at the groomed slope below from the chairlift before the first ride makes me feel a physical urge to be there.

Greetings,

Bernhard

http://stoked.at

Kind of an odd drill I learned about is riding with your arms crossed over shoulders. Sounds strange, feels stranger. Danger This is a great one to try when your feeling pretty confident with your riding because it makes balance and fluid movement more difficult. It forces one to stay centered, compact, and makes one sort of overuse for/aft weight transfer, flexion/extention, rotation etc. to compensate for less upper body movement. Seems like it helped me with heelside edge initiation, and definately helps eliminate crazy arms or hand reaching/dragging. Cheers Tom

• Like 1

Sidehill Carves: Similar to Hangers. Ride the high side of the edge of a catwalk, alternately carving with the uphill and downhill edge. Develops the ability to make small, quick movements of the feet, ankles, and knees to engage the downhill edge, and pressure control and fore/aft skills to ride the powder/bumps/ice/variable snow on the ungroomed high side of the trail. Also helps develop the ability to look ahead to spot abrupt changes in terrain and snow conditions. A good drill to energize those somewhat-less-exciting 'commuting runs' on catwalks.

2u6hekw.jpg

Alternative way to change edges while carving on a sidehill.

Edited by boostertwo
Reloaded Pic.

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by Sean

One of my favorites is leapers. Rather than turning the board on the snow, you spring cleanly off of one edge and land cleanly on the other one to change directions. Simple drill to explain, yet great for working on fore/aft balance, edging and pressure control. If that gets boring, try it riding switch :>)

and they just feel so damn good too in particular on soft snow when you can really load up your board

I was out riding with a friend that skis and he said that seeing someone laid out before their edge makes contact with the snow is enough to even get the old hardcores to take a look at snowboarding

Guest Tim Tuthill

Good stuf Jack! I still like the Norm. I do it with a little variation. Keep your hands at your side. Heel and toe. go as far as you can without moving your hand position.It's harder than it sounds. I too face the front of the board, I like to see where I'm going and who is going to hit me!

• 5 months later...
Guest jschal01

Riding crust. I forced myself to ride this when it was around last year, it not only helped me get more centered for my turns but also helped my halfpipe riding (not getting bucked by bad transitions).

PhilFell had posted hand in pockets last season as another. I'd done arms behind back before, I found hands in pockets helped shut my shoulders down more, in a good way.

Riding bumps/crud/crust fast. (If it's uncrowded, trees aren't a risk, etc.) For regular NE resort rising, there aren't too many other places where you can responsibly ride just a bit out of control...the bumps, etc. can bring the out of control point down to a safer speed. Look way uphill before riding a section like this. Know the run and be confident you won't smash onto a boulder just under the snow when you fall.

Wow! You guys really gave a lot of suggestions. I going to have to try some of them as soon as we get some snow. Too bad I didn't read these comments last season.

I find one of my biggest problems is my legs give out too soon. About the time I'm really carving well and having fun, my legs are too tired to continue. What kind of off season exercise do you think is best to strengthen your legs?

Originally posted by Rodger Arnold

I find one of my biggest problems is my legs give out too soon. About the time I'm really carving well and having fun, my legs are too tired to continue. What kind of off season exercise do you think is best to strengthen your legs?

Running, biking, squats, calfs. Rollerblading is good to to work the outsides of your legs, which you also use in snowboarding.

Also I tried the vitamin supplement

"Sport Legs" last year with success. They really made a difference. Powerbars or any multivitamin will help with leg burn too.

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

Running, biking, squats, calfs. Rollerblading is good to to work the outsides of your legs, which you also use in snowboarding.

Also I tried the vitamin supplement

"Sport Legs" last year with success. They really made a difference. Powerbars or any multivitamin will help with leg burn too.

I will second the vote on Sports Legs, Randy gave me some last season and I've been using it ever since. They are extremely good at neutralizing the quad burn.

Of course, superior physical conditioning is still the best - for off-season (no longer off-season now for us TAHOEcarvers!) I've started doing longboard skateboarding and it is very good because not only is it sport-specific conditioning, but I've found that it is extremely good practice for technique, I'm sure slalom skateboarding is also very good for you and I plan to do that next off-season.

But first just get just get out and exercise, if you can't do a 8 minute mile, there's really not much point for "sports specific" off-season physical training. Any type of leg exercise (running, biking, rollerblading - squats are excellent, but make sure you are doing them properly) for 30-45 mins, 3 times a week is going be decent. Now that the Sox have won, I think everyon can afford to skip 1 hour of TV a day and go for a 45 minute jog instead. That's just good for you in general and you should be doing year round (no excuses!)

I've seen this drill demonstrated on a coaching video. It showed three riders of different abilities reaching low. Entry level rider reaches knee, advanced rider touches boot and the expert touched the bottom of his board. Raised rail grab. It might have been Mark Fawcett doing this, not sure though.

Another hand drill is to hold an imaginary camera and focus it downhill while maintaining it level. I guess you could do this with a real camera and check how level you were. or Substitute the camera for a bowl of soup, tray of drinks etc...

On a groomed intermediate slope, made skidding turns toeside and heelside in quick succession and try to keep your front foot traveling in a straight line down the hill, with your back leg swinging around behind you. Then try it in moguls and see if you like the results. I'm not promising anything, but I like it.

I remember a previous thread about these turns.

Dolphin turns or porpoise on purpose. Airborn edge change. Pop and hop from one turn to the next. No exagerrated hop is needed. Let the decambering of the board launch you into the next carve.

The nicknames for drills work well when coaching.

Hey Jack is someone compiling all these drills into a handy document.

Guest Todd Stewart

hey Rodger, instead of working out just let the board do all the work. This can be done by only part of your body moving is your hips. You only need to bend your knees about as much as you would standing on flat land while still strapped in to your board, do this throughout the entire turn. Your upper body should be perpendicular to the slope of the hill at all times and you legs will just sweep from side to side of your body. The whole idea is not to fight each turn and keep you upper body quiet. Then all you have to do is drop your hips to the side and let the board pull you into the turn and push your legs out of the turn.

Its a lot easier to comprehend when you see it keep your eyes peeled for new world cup footage, most of the Europeans use this technique now. Its also a lot different then the eurocarving style most people use in this forum. Probably the biggest advantage you get is the bonus speed generated by board snapping out of the turn.

Have fun

Guest thefishinmagician

With only half a dozen days on hard boots and missing all of last season with a torn ACL, these are the kind of tips I need. I got to squeeze in a day at Mammoth over the weekend and I could really feel when I was angulating properly. I could feel it even more when I wasn't! Now I've got some drills to make it easier to isolate the each aspect of my carving and improve it effectively. Thanks to those kicking out suggestions.

~Adam~

Originally posted by ARCrider

Hey Jack is someone compiling all these drills into a handy document.

I am. Stay tuned. This will become an article in the Bomber Tech Articles archive. I will try to get pics and maybe sequences to illustrate each drill. However there are lots of drills here and unfortunately I don't live at a mountain. So if anybody wants to submit pictures of themself or pics they've taken of other people for consideration, please email them to me at jackm(at)maine.rr.com. Rider and photographer will be credited in the article.

Guest jschal01

Todd's point about keeping the upper body quiet (and generally more or less aligned with binding angles) I think underpins a lot of these drills. It also is one of the things that really strong riders generally seem to show regardless of specific discipline. I don't have as much exposure to a really high level of riding as some of the people here, but my own limited take is also that skills for a particular type of drill or terrain (carving, halfpipe, bumps) predict reasonably well performance elsewhere, too, rails and spinning jumps excepted.

So, if you have trouble riding well-spaced bumps on blue runs, odds are that lifting your level of riding there will also help yur carving on groomed terrain. If you can't carve donw most blacks, you're going to have trouble getting consistently good air in the pipe. If you always bring your rear arm way forward on heelside turns, the blocking of your shoulder will give you problems with carving, bumps, pipe...and some of the drills mentioned for quieting your hands will help in all three areas, not to mention real steeps and drops.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Jack Michaud

So if anybody wants to submit pictures of themself or pics they've taken of other people for consideration, please email them to me at jackm(at)maine.rr.com. Rider and photographer will be credited in the article.

k0iizc.jpg

Drill: Singletrack

Rider: Spike Eisenman

Best wishes for a healthy, happy, powdery new year!

B-2

Edited by boostertwo
Reload!

• 11 years later...

Cha-Cha-Cha. This was the number one drill that I remember out of Ski Magazine in the late 70s or early 80s that improved my skiing exponentially. I have used this on the board as well and taught my kids the drill as well. Really simple:

1-2-cha-cha-cha

Meaning two long turns followed by three quick short turns. This helps the transition from long turns to short turns, alternates starting the short turn on toe side then next time on hell turn, and lastly makes you do these turns not dependent on snow conditions or only turning where you want to turn.  

Try this the whole way down a slope each time you go to the hill and you should be amazed at how this improves your turning transitions.

• 1 month later...

Too many good tips and suggestions compiled on Jack's "CARVING PRACTICE DRILLS"  though not as easy to find as it used to be?

The sequence photo's and instructions from Lowell Hart are great.

http://www.bomberonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Carving-Practice-Drills.pdf

Excuse the dead links, thanks Google

THE NORM  http://www.bomberonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/The-Norm-Part-I.pdf

THE NORM PART II  http://www.bomberonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/The-Norm-Part-II.pdf

Edited by Pat Donnelly
  • Like 1