Note to New Members ×

F2 RS intec mounting question

gawdzira

I am setting up a new pair of F2 RS intec. How much flex on the toe bail is too much? My other bindings are Bomber Trench diggers so they are pretty tightly locked. Should I crank this tighter? The bail is very tight against the shell but there is still a little room on top of the toe. I am concerned about pressuring the front of the shell too much. Link is a video of the movement.

Thanks,

Alan

P.S. Disregard the vintage Fat Bob, that is only a place holder for the binding adjustment. 

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/32lw9dcn6txx377udwazv/20240407_214439.mp4?rlkey=gfjyqbx13ua3fg543qs6hjlga&dl=0

Edited by gawdzira

Wind in the screw a bit to move the toe and heel closer. When you can't push the boot down hard enough for the moving pins to click in place, then it's too tight. 

That's not a red flag, but I like mine a bit tighter than that. The system relies on preload between the front bail, the pins/wedges on the ramp of the heel pushing up, and the moving pins holding the heels down. 

• Like 1

Your RS binding toe pieces don't seem to have any vertical adjustment, unlike some other F2 bindings. You almost need to tape a 1-2mm thick shim onto the toepiece flat surface bring the underside of the steel loop to bear properly on the top of the boot toe block.

It looks like about half of the movement is in the slide mechanism for the toe pad adjustment.  I'm not familiar with F2 bindings but I expect there's no way to snug up that part of the movement.

Just like Corey said and yours are fine. Dont worry its not that tight, in my case I have a lot of gap for a loose interface, gives me extra lateral movement.

The newer F2 Intec bindings have that adjustable front bail which is a terrible design as it loosens up over the day anyway.

21 minutes ago, michael.a said:

newer F2 Intec bindings have that adjustable front bail which is a terrible design as it loosens up over the day anyway.

Not with a dab from a hot glue gun. Been there.

Edited by SunSurfer

My 2 cents.

I’ve used F2 bindings for 10 years now.  I converted the front bails on my Intec Titanium to the swing arm bail on the Titanflex to eliminate the need to fiddle with the useless adjustment screws on the front bail. With the swing arm bail the adjustment defaults to simply moving the toe/heel blocks. I adjust the blocks until the heel pin makes contact with the rear end of the intec receiver mating hole to ensure the boot is pressed forward when you step in.

Your boot should not move in any direction in the bindings. The “extra” flex is from the composite frame not the loose joint between IMG_2024-04-10-173152.jpeg.1480ef01ebb171ffb1612624a35f9845.jpegIMG_2024-04-10-173206.jpeg.88d31641ea986644725deb737d36eb1a.jpegthe boot and bail. You didn’t show it but your boots can probably rotate under the bails which defeats the purpose of precisely setting the binding angles.

10 hours ago, michael.a said:

How well does it hold up in the cold? I use Loctite Hysol E-120HP as the nuclear option

Single application bridging the teeth on the adjuster and the gap in which it rotates has held through at least 2 seasons of use. It is the work of a moment to do it.

The F2 Intec front loop fits my UPZ shells beautifully otherwise. The things I've done to try  to get the toe pressure evenly spread on my Bomber TD3s is a whole different story. There's a possible product improvement for TDs right there.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 1

In mounting the F2 to a Burton (Flight Attendant) the screws were bottoming out before I could lock it down. I ran to Home Depot to try and figure out a good strategy to shim up so the screws would lock to the Tnuts that run in the Burton channel. 

What you see under the binding is a scribe cut of some free LVP (luxury vinyl plank) flooring. Rubber sticky on the bottom and not too smooth on top. Did I mention Free samples? It is a little thicker than I wanted but serves well after 2 days of riding.

20240418_165600_edited.jpg