Note to New Members ×

best cheap easy way to take video of self as instructional input

RRrider

Not exactly sure how to label this question 🙂.  But I have found that seeing a video of oneself doing anything athletic is super helpful (and also usually a bit depressing - like for those who ride motorcycles at the track..."I feel like my knee must be just about touching"..."oh, I see, no it isn't!").  I don't have a videographer to scoot along behind/beside/in front of me and take videos on their cell phone, but I'd really like to periodically video myself to note form problems, and then to see if improve.    that's the goal.

so, the question:  what is the easiest (lowest hassle for set up, controls while videoing, and post editing), cheapest (I don't want to do a vlog, just grab a few shots here and there), setup for grabbing video selfies that show your form and technique while actively riding?

TIA

perhaps a gopro, on the nose of the board, mounted as far out on the board as there is a flat surface to mount to.  GoPro mount supplementally secured with a bead of of clear tub and tile type silicone caulking.  imo, the adhesive on the factory mounts is inadequate and needs help 

• Like 1

If you have a short run with a short lift ride, how about strapping a GoPro (or cheapo clone) to a tree and riding by it for a few runs?  It won't pan and follow you, of course.  You could probably rig up a cable lock if there's a concern about someone taking it.  You got me thinking because the round trip up and down my little hill is 4 minutes so I could get several runs in one video.

• Like 1

Having tried @Wolf suggestion with a GoPro8 Black above, I needed to use the narrowest field of view, then crop the image to about half size, then expand that image to full size to see anything useful beyond the last couple of turns before the camera. GoPros are designed for wide angle POV use so not great for that kind of distant recording.

Best cheap solution I know of. Ride with a friend and shoot each other. I have an old ski pole handle with a GoPro mount on top precisely for this use.

The difference is night and day.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 1

Thanks!  So my take away:

options:

(1) make a friend 🙂

(2) GoPro attached to board, or attached to stationary object that you go by

(3) insta360 - attached to selfie stick (or i have seen video from one attached to the rear binding - it was cool as you could see the riders form plus what they were seeking and boarding into)

Thoughts:

(1) is the cheapest but …

(2) is next cheapest as i have a GoPro, but i have found GoPros a bit clunky from trying to record on Motorcycles

(3) is the coolest, as the 360 perspective + easy edit on phone capabilities of insta360 are impressive, but i don’t own one so this is an expensive option.

thanks!

14 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

You've got to hold a stick which will put your balance off until you are very used to it.

friend gave me a pro tip for dealing with the stick - pretend the stick isnt there - it worked.

definitely insta360 x3 is your shout for self recording.

Best 360 cam.

example:

Edited by slapos
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, RRrider said:

(1) make a friend 🙂

Hey @RRrider I'm local to Bachelor and ride alpine boards on non-powder days.  Also have a GoPro - we should nerd out together on the slopes one of these days!

Edited by Alan
  • Like 2

I've got this mount for the insta360:
https://store.insta360.com/product/The_Back_Bar

Not very noticable while riding. The longer you pull out the stick the more you see from yourself. Works for front and back shots.

Very short part recorded with this setup in the following video (min. 0:22 - 0:33):

here's a video with more footage (not from me and not snowboarding):

Edited by nextcarve
  • Like 2

On 3/3/2024 at 12:53 PM, Alan said:

Hey @RRrider I'm local to Bachelor and ride alpine boards on non-powder days.  Also have a GoPro - we should nerd out together on the slopes one of these days!

this sounds great!  I would love to do that!  Kind of a powder week this week (OMG!  amazing) so let's touch base next week or as spring skiing conditions set in!

On 3/3/2024 at 12:18 PM, slapos said:

friend gave me a pro tip for dealing with the stick - pretend the stick isnt there - it worked.

definitely insta360 x3 is your shout for self recording.

Best 360 cam.

example:

very nice! you don't even move the stick from one hand to the other!  cool!  hmmmmmm.

19 hours ago, nextcarve said:

I've got this mount for the insta360:
https://store.insta360.com/product/The_Back_Bar

Not very noticable while riding. The longer you pull out the stick the more you see from yourself. Works for front and back shots.

Very short part recorded with this setup in the following video (min. 0:22 - 0:33):

here's a video with more footage (not from me and not snowboarding):

wow. hadn't seen this.  I imagine this might be a bit of a bother if one low sides a heel side turn or worse tumbles?  let alone getting up the lift - lol!  I ride motorcycles too...that may make the "expense" part easier to swallow.   I do like the idea of something being easily attached vs having to hold it.  helmet isn't a great angle for seeing your body position.  Seems like this, backpack attach, or suction cup to board are the optimal answer for video angle with a different set of logistical challenges compared to holding a stick.

5 hours ago, pokkis said:

I have this one and by changing angle of stick you can adjust view.

http://store.insta360.com/product/third_person_backpack_mount?from=products_recommended

I ride with a westslope Pro-180 slim chest pack (https://westslopegear.com/products/pro-180-slim-chest-pack?variant=42961575542956) - l love it...easy access to phone, small so I don't feel it while riding, and it isn't annoying getting on / off chair lifts).  

Do you think this backpack mount would attach to that?  I can see how this might have the lowest logistical challenges.   of course changing the angle of the stick when it is behind you doesn't sound easy....

1 hour ago, RRrider said:

I imagine this might be a bit of a bother if one low sides a heel side turn or worse tumbles?  let alone getting up the lift - lol! 

The belt has velcro to fasten it, so you can attach it at any angle around your waist. Meaning you can point the support, where you screw on your selfie stick, away from your backside.
At the end of the run you just turn the belt around your waist and screw it off and there's nothing sticking out at your back. This may be an advantage over the backpack solution.

Edited by nextcarve
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, nextcarve said:

The belt has velcro to fasten it, so you can attach it at any angle around your waist. Meaning you can point the support, where you screw on your selfie stick, away from your backside.
At the end of the run you just turn the belt around your waist and screw it off and there's nothing sticking out at your back. This may be an advantage over the backpack solution.

wow.  this is super cool.  The fact that it also works for dirt bike riding, motorcycle riding, reduces my cost concern about just having this entire setup for snowboarding.  So I bit the bullet today...and I got the insta360 and this belt.  this seems like the lowest logistical hassle way to go to get awesome and useful videos.  I just hope I don't take a nasty tumble at speed with all this sh*t attached to me - :0

thanks for the help, folks!

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 10:27 AM, RRrider said:

this sounds great!  I would love to do that!  Kind of a powder week this week (OMG!  amazing) so let's touch base next week or as spring skiing conditions set in!

Cool - I'll PM my info.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 6:59 PM, 1xsculler said:

Brand and name of belt?

If you click on that link (same as above) of the insta360 store you'll find the product.  I guess because it's on their own store, it will also be part of their own product line.

Why are you asking?

Edited by nextcarve