Note to New Members ×

Heat molding liners

There are a range of views on this topic. The problem is that the moldable liners are generally made of EVA foam. The foam specs generally show softening starts to be significant when foam reaches 60-70 Celsius, and the foam starts to progressively degrade with gas loss from the bubbles in the foam the longer and hotter it's heated.

People generally get 3+ moldings out of their liners before foam degradation means they need to buy new liners. Work out for yourself why the shop might recommend what Jack has linked above.

Myself, I set my fan oven to 70 degrees C and check the temperature with my wife's cooking thermometer after about 20 minutes. Adjust the temp till the measured temp is a stable 70, then cook the liner I'm molding for 10 minutes. Then do the molding procedure with my foot.

above is for rice method; interior mold and/or fine tuning hotspots; hairdryer can also be used for exterior shell hotspots. note the different microwave watts.

below is also for rice method, but oven temp at 120C/250F and times used for heating is identical. all should be done with caution. also, see 'custom fitting' drop down menu at middle of header here:

https://intuitionliners.com/choose-your-fit/

if using a home oven: i do one liner at a time. flip halfway if you want. works great. probably should've turned oven off like Jack says above, but i didn't. tinfoil lined on grate... second liner almost started to stick to tinfoil. oh geez. close one. no biggie though. use caution. that's all. don't get stuck on seconds or a even a minute during the process... just follow the process through in a timely manner. riding them a few times will further help form to feet/boot/etc.

not all liners are fully made up of moldable foam; especially stock liners. the rice or stovepipe/tube heating method may be best to kickstart the molding and test. full heating of the liner out of the shell is preferred by some due to forming to the shell too, further lessening the probability of hotspots; not eliminating. as mentioned above, most liners can be heat molded multiple times which is good because sometimes this is needed to really dial in the fit. i've heard up to six with intuition, but feel more comfortable with three to four due to the high temps and nerd science behind what is also mentioned above.

i've had success with an intuition plug wrap and fx race tongue liner using this oven method. give it a go.

• Like 1