Jump to content
Note to New Members ×

Brushie's last Trout


Jack M

Recommended Posts

Too narrow for me...  Pass.

Jeff Brushie was one of my snowboarding heros.  Remember that scene in Burton's "Chill" video when he shows up in Japan and all the girls are going hysterical like he's Elvis or something?  I wanted to be him so bad...  I even had the dreadlocks for a while.  No girls screamed.

Edited by crackaddict
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

$6400.  Not bad for ol' Jeff.  I'm surprised it went for such a round number.  Whenever I snipe I add some random dollars and cents just for good measure.

I wonder what the exit strategy is for these collectors.  I suppose if money is truly no object for them, they can just hold indefinitely.  But if a collector wants eventual return on investment, they're going to have to time their sales precisely.  A snowboard is not a classic car.  This is not like parking 6 figures in a mint 70s Porsche 911.  Eventually the people who know or care who Jeff Brushie is will either die or lose interest.

Also makes me wonder which pro snowboarders or other snowboarding celebrities have achieved perpetual celebrity status within fans of the sport.  Off the top of my head I'd guess:

Jake Burton Carpenter
Tom Sims
Craig Kelly
Terry Kidwell
Shaun Palmer
Shaun White

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah that was my thought as well. Brushie was iconic to a 90s kid and so was that board…but maybe I should go back and check but I kind of feel he was never really considered one of the great snowboarders, unlike a Craig Kelly or Terje or Shaun White. And it’s not really like a classic car where some of the cache is being able to start and drive it when the weather’s nice — no one’s likely to be putting this on snow in 20 years.

So I’d be curious what kind of value this board will have in 25 years. But what the hell do I know, it seems like there’s more and more super rich collectors for this type of stuff so who knows. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, st_lupo said:

Alpinesnowboarder.com and you leave Peter Bauer off the list…

🤣

Ha!  I thought of P&J but I don't think they have mass appeal across all of snowboarding.  Of course I loved watching them in the Burton movies but I wonder if they were a turnoff for most.

Maybe we need an Alpine HOF here...

Also thought of Terje but he became such a recluse and anti-competitor so quickly as far as I know.  But I stopped watching snowboard movies after Scream of Consciousness, I don't know if he was in a lot of films doing incredible stuff and progressing the sport.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

I kind of feel Brushie was never really considered one of the great snowboarders

I don't know.  He was Burton's first bad boy, so that's something.  He was very good at halfpipe.  Must have been for him to get what, 3 signature boards from Burton?

19 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Terje is still hugely respected, I think you can safely add him to the list.

IMG_0667.gif

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I could see myself geeking out and spending irrational money on a on a Johan Olafson , Jonavon Moore or Fredi Kalbermatten board.  I would want to ride it, though. 
The board would give me the side eye, for sure.  Given it’s history, n’all 

Edited by davekempmeister
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2024 at 5:09 PM, davekempmeister said:

Personally, I could see myself geeking out and spending irrational money on a on a Johan Olafson , Jonavon Moore or Fredi Kalbermatten board.  I would want to ride it, though. 
The board would give me the side eye, for sure.  Given it’s history, n’all 

I have a 94' slopestyle that was Craig's personal board. 171 with barbed wire base, a gloss finish with no topsheet serial numbers/only on the base, upside down and backwards visible through the base at the tail of the board. Have had it for many years and have proof from a couple OG's when we all worked Kelly's Camp back in the 90's. Was given to my best friend who rode it quite a bit before hanging it up and giving it to me. Bathed in storage wax, fully tuned and cleaned up around the top sheet edges... just waiting for that day, where it goes back out for one more lap. If I ever go to Revelstoke, I will gift it to the lodge. 

Edited by slopestar
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, slopestar said:

I have a 94' slopestyle that was Craig's personal board. 171 with barbed wire base, a gloss finish with no topsheet serial numbers/only on the base, upside down and backwards visible through the base at the tail of the board. Have had it for many years and have proof from a couple OG's when we all worked Kelly's Camp back in the 90's. Was given to my best friend who rode it quite a bit before hanging it up and giving it to me. Bathed in storage wax, fully tuned and cleaned up around the top sheet edges... just waiting for that day, where it goes back out for one more lap. If I ever go to Revelstoke, I will gift it to the lodge. 

sweet.  i think your desire to give it another ride and then gift it is absolutely fantastic. 

over the last few years, i have been buying older pow boards specifically to use on an annual BC cat trip.  2 hours drive south of Revelstoke, Selkirk/Purcell.  last year i was on an Osin 4807 (168cm).  one of the young guides, who boards, was smitten with the shape and i gave it to him at the end of the trip.  this years board is a Dynastar with the exact same shape, but @ 178 cm (thanks digger jr.)

giving boards to people who appreciate them is a joy, for sure.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2024 at 11:56 AM, Jack M said:

I don't know.  He was Burton's first bad boy, so that's something.  He was very good at halfpipe.  Must have been for him to get what, 3 signature boards from Burton?

IMG_0667.gif

I remember a Summer trampoline event back in the early 90's where Brushie showed up.  Lots of young kids waiting to take their turn on the tramp and get an autograph, Brushie cuts in front, does a few spins and grabs, gets in his car and roars off without really acknowledging his fans.  Cool, bro.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Deuxdiesel said:

I remember a Summer trampoline event back in the early 90's where Brushie showed up.  Lots of young kids waiting to take their turn on the tramp and get an autograph, Brushie cuts in front, does a few spins and grabs, gets in his car and roars off without really acknowledging his fans.  Cool, bro.....

OMG I went to one of those in Boston!  Brushie seemed shy but nice.  I didn't want to bother him for an autograph.  I don't recall if he snubbed us or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...