Note to New Members ×

What is the Montucky Clear CUT to you?

dredman

So I had a very interesting set of questions that led me to write the email below.  My question to you is "What is MCC to you?"

Dear XXXX, 

The MCC experience is very different depending on what you want from it.  If you want clinics to improve your carving, we have 6 amazing instructors with clinics every day.  If you want to try some different boards, we have demo boards and the builders are there to chat with them about their boards.  If you want to meet other like minded carvers, we have lots of those.  If you want to ride without fear of getting hit from behind, we have a “No Passing Rule” on the groomers, so you can ride top to bottom without fear of getting hit from behind.  If you want to see your carving buddies from all over the US and Canada that you only get to see once a year, then this is the place.  If you are a lone wolf carver and want to meet other lone wolves, this is where we gather and feel normal.  If you want to talk carving and gear with peers, this is the place.  If you want to spend your money on a vacation that really helps out a community volunteer ski area and underserved community, Libby and Turner Mtn are the place to do it.  If you want to bring your family or a buddy along that does not ski, we welcome them what ever they ride.  If you want to experience a remote part of NW Montana in the winter, this is the trip.

My motivations for putting this event on are:

1. To support a not for profit community ski area that I grew up at with fundraising.

2. Promote tourism in the town I grew up in.  Libby was historically a mining and logging town and has struggled with carving out a new economic niche in the world.

3. Have a unique carving experience that promotes the sport, our sponsors and creates friendships.  

The people that come to the event are the kindest, friendliest, most genuine people I have ever know.  It is an honor for me to provide the playground for them to have an amazing experience.

Yes there is some tailgating going on, during the COVID years of the event that really blossomed.  There is an amazing kitchen at the hill with some really outstanding food.   The Chef is a cook at one of the fishing lodges in the area and he has some amazing breakfasts and lunches at really reasonable prices.  

As far as traveling to the even please see this page. https://montuckyclearcut.com/logistics That should answer all of your question about getting to Libby and places to stay.  The Venture Inn is a popular choice for lodging.

You will not be holding anyone back, and our instructors will most certainly help you progress.  That being said, Turner is not a beginner friendly mountain.  There are not a lot of easy green runs.  I usually get several email after the event from people like you, that say “I was intimidated by Turner and the runs at first, then I took a clinic, rode a bunch and now riding at home is easy and almost boring”.  Every year I see folks show up looking like they are in the wrong place, then introduce them to folks, and by the end of the event their riding has improved a bunch and they have made a bunch of carving friends.  

We have a schedule to see what is currently planned a https://montuckyclearcut.com/schedule.

I hope this help answer some of your question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Attending MCC 2023 was a like a pilgrimage, something a carving snowboarder should do at least once in their life. It was an adventure, with lots that was new and different for a New Zealander visiting Montana for the first time, like driving a hire car on the "wrong" side of the road in winter without snow tyres or chains (cue a diversion into a snow filled ditch and a tow from the snow groomer). There was off the snow fun too, the roller skating night and the banquet band being highlights that DR hasn't mentioned above.

But most of all for me, it was gathering with my "tribe" and catching up with old acquaintances. With climate change and the impact of air travel I may never make the trip to Libby again. But I have wonderful memories, as do the 2 skiers who came along for the ride with me!

• Like 6

On 12/24/2023 at 9:29 PM, SunSurfer said:

Attending MCC 2023 was a like a pilgrimage, something a carving snowboarder should do at least once in their life. It was an adventure, with lots that was new and different for a New Zealander visiting Montana for the first time, like driving a hire car on the "wrong" side of the road in winter without snow tyres or chains (cue a diversion into a snow filled ditch and a tow from the snow groomer). There was off the snow fun too, the roller skating night and the banquet band being highlights that DR hasn't mentioned above.

But most of all for me, it was gathering with my "tribe" and catching up with old acquaintances. With climate change and the impact of air travel I may never make the trip to Libby again. But I have wonderful memories, as do the 2 skiers who came along for the ride with me!

Agreed hadn't crossed paths since aspen good to see you again Allan 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the low snow pack and possibility of cancellation looming, it was neat to see the chair spinning on the Turner snow cam today.  Very exciting. I'm so hopeful! 

MCC is an adventure for me. Cool place, friendly people, and amazing riders.  I've had the good fortune to attend 2, but was injured each time. Quite a downer, but I've tried to learn my lessons and have improved my health and fitness. So the Injuries really sucked but the net impact on my life has been overwhelmingly positive. 

This year my 18 year old son is booked to join as well.  I'm looking forward to sharing the best kind of madness with him!

• Like 3

I am looking forward to riding with you all at MCC!  This will be my first time at MCC.  I am especially interested in the clinics and trying to lay out some euro carves!  

I started as a hard booter in 1989 with a Burton PJ 170 AYSM board and have enjoyed carving since then.  Looking forward to meeting you all. 

• Like 2