Note to New Members ×

OT: waaaaaaay OT....

Aisling

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay...slight confession....some years ago in a job where I oversaw computers and people using them(when 386 processors were still being used, win 95 just hitting the market); I used to reserve a PC for some chap that I became platonically (married guy with kids)friendly with...I was quite impressed of his keenness to learn n use the internet...

...the guy was having an online relationship with a lady from Canada...he fell in love, left his wife n kids in the UK, and moved to Canada

...overtime he told me what was developing..

There ya' go I was party to a relationship breakdown and development simultaneously...:-o

Bummer. Sorry to hear that. To risk a little cornball analogical philosophizing, sometimes life's like snowboarding- one turn at a time and one love at a time. Love exists just like turns exist - both are transient and both are cool when you are deep in them but they can both leave trenches. Come out of one a little wobbly; just find your center and dive into the next one (if you believe in cross-over, anyway).

This is one of the most remarkable posts I've seen here on Bomber in years! Funny, but still truthful I think.

I don't know about you ladies and gentlement, but recently my relationships seem to be more fluid - people coming together and sharing moments, learning from each other, and then continuing on their own paths again. Does anyone think that shorter relationships are a societal trend? Statistics Canada reported that for the first time this year, over 50% of Canadians are single... that has never been the case before. Maybe we're outgrowing the institution of marriage; with so many people in the world that we can connect with/travel to, why not evolve through many relationships instead of one? It bodes well for commitment-phobes :D

Interesting! A lot of different points of view there. A few submissions spoke of personal freedom, and how highly they prized it... that's something I really identify with.

My 'aha' moment was about 8 years ago when I was living in Quebec. I was in the midst of telling another skydiver, Dan, how buying a home was the most intelligent thing anyone could possibly do with their money. He interrupted me politely and said "I've had a house, a wife, and a dog. I mowed the lawn. It's just not for me!". He was genuinely happy with dating, renting, and skydiving on weekends instead of mowing the lawn. The conviction with which he spoke came from experience, and that moment made me very aware that houses, marriages, and even kids for that matter, are not everyone's path.

In my 20s a female friend of mine (absolutely stunning looking female, who could manipulate men to do whatever she wanted) found her Mr right, or so she thought. They both worked in London earning huge bucks in the financial Bond market. got married, no kids, charming thatched roof country cottage,swimming pool in garden,company sports car each etc. she was brought up middle class, he was an East end boy made-good. they both looked like a TV advert, living and looking the perfect lifestyle.

Apparently he had a deviant side. As the marriage fell apart they became enemies.he ruined her.she ended up on Prozac, jobless and losing everything.

As we kept in touch and finally met-up a few years after her divorce, to me, she was not the kind, intelligent, lively, classy friend that I once knew. She had become vulgar and embarrassing and not quite on planet earth, as well as fearful of men as far as relationships go.

I left that day sickened and saddened to see what happened to my once friend.

I tried staying in touch but over the years I realised the friendship was no more..

Edited by floBoot

The conviction with which he spoke came from experience, and that moment made me very aware that houses, marriages, and even kids for that matter, are not everyone's path.

It's unfortunate that as a society we still sell The Life Script so hard. Some people are lucky enough to meet The One and live happily ever after, but a lot of people follow the "what you're supposed to do" path and wonder why they're 45, with the "perfect life" and utterly miserable. I am constantly amazed at how many people will simply roll over and let others, or others opinions, make life-altering decisions for them. Life shouldn't "just happen" to you. Take charge of it, and take charge of your own happiness. One of my mottos is "you can't please all of the people all of the time, so you might as well please yourself. At least that way, someone's happy!"

Sweet. More wine.

Interesting! A lot of different points of view there. A few submissions spoke of personal freedom, and how highly they prized it... that's something I really identify with.

My 'aha' moment was about 8 years ago when I was living in Quebec. I was in the midst of telling another skydiver, Dan, how buying a home was the most intelligent thing anyone could possibly do with their money. He interrupted me politely and said "I've had a house, a wife, and a dog. I mowed the lawn. It's just not for me!". He was genuinely happy with dating, renting, and skydiving on weekends instead of mowing the lawn. The conviction with which he spoke came from experience, and that moment made me very aware that houses, marriages, and even kids for that matter, are not everyone's path.

Allot of factors come into play with such decisions. What did you see growing up? Your decision making process or lack there of.

Strength of your "Self" worth, confidence, guidance. Religious background, family background and influence.

Personally I hope folks simply find their way via their own decision making process and don't allow too much outside influence. Do what makes you happy , work through any issues in a forthright method.

Enjoy!!

Me? 55yrs old, single, never married, no children. Several long term relationships (5, 7, 10) , numerous wonderful women that would have been great wives. I think I have been more than fortunate in the significant others that have touched my life.

Do what works for you. Be kind, be genuine, slow down, enjoy!!

Allot of factors come into play with such decisions. What did you see growing up? Your decision making process or lack there of.*

Strength of your "Self" worth, confidence, guidance. Religious background, family background and influence.*

Yes, very true...I definitely had an upbringing that should have left me as a down and out of society, with no self esteem or confidence etc...but for some of reason I pulled away from all that stuff and was the opposite...which leaves me to wonder the nature/nuture argument?

The positives of a dodgy upbringing in my case, was that I knew what I didn't want in life...but I've not yet decided what I do want...:rolleyes:

So as the decades rolled by I just lived life as I wanted regardless of peer pressure, societal expectations etc,

As an example when I left school I carried on my sport of long distance running. Women in those days did not exercise unless they were an athlete..I wasn't an athlete but I loved running...I started dating some guy and when he found out I 'ran' he said "are you a man or a woman...I want you to stop running...":freak3:

I dumped him...and carried on running...:p

Also whilst out running I used to get cans of Coke thrown at me from cars driving by, and stones from people on the street:eek:soon after came the first London marathon which changed society's attitude..not mine..

perhaps I live on another planet and that's how I don't take any notice of the negatives;)

Oh one last thing, I've been Vegan for 20 years, that doesn't go down well either in terms of starting a relationship... I could tell you some negative stories there:biggthump ...

I simply believe in what I do and respect other people's choices too:)

Strong spirit, where does it come from? A willingness to take your own path regardless of the impediments.

Something I find odd is the societal reluctance to allow different "paths" to persist. Fortunately there are those that

are of strong will and spirit that don't let others deter them from their pursues.

The "Group" influence has it's good and bad effects. I personally feel that staying open to ideas is such a blessing.

Because I am doing something or thinking something a certain way does NOT prevent me from entertaining alternative methods/ideas.

This has offered me many life experiences that would not have occurred otherwise. Other key ideas that seem so simple yet

escape so many are:

Fear of failure

Compromise

Kindness FIRST, safety yes, offering benefit of the doubt.

Ignoring history

Typically all the wisdom that our elders offer us at no charge.

Oh one last thing, I've been Vegan for 20 years, that doesn't go down well either in terms of starting a relationship... I could tell you some negative stories there:biggthump ...

I have vegan friends, and for some reason it seems to be a magnet for attracting nosey, ignorant and rude people. Some of the comments that people make to them are shocking. What makes you think that 1) they care, and 2) that it's any of your damn business?

I just can't get over how perfect strangers, or almost-strangers, feel they have carte blanche these days to comment on everyone else's life. And the comments are never positive. I was raised in the school of "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" ... boy, does that one seem to have fallen out of favour.

Allee, you probably know more Vegans than I do by the sound of it..haha..oh yes I'm used to down right rude..tbh...I do find it rather amusing...women have been the worst...:eek:...why?

I also believe in say something nice to people (only people I like though) the rest I don't give the time of day...:rolleyes: life's to short to be around negatives:biggthump

Oldsnowboards,

Feel the fear and do it anyway, Susan Jeffers, I've read the book..the road less travelled, m Scott peck, I've read the book...

I always assume failure but don't care, as I know I'll try again n again..I'm patient that way...:)

I make myself appear totally confident...I am not..but I dealt with any demons that I may have had from a dodgy upbringing..in my 20s ...not wanting to spend my adult life blaming the past for my failures...it's a liberating experience ...any insecurities I do have well hey ho...they're there:rolleyes:

COMPROMISE...not when it comes to SNOWBOARDING:biggthump

KINDNESS first..yes..

IGNORING HISTORY...only if you're not given reason wonder otherwise:eek:

Edited by floBoot

Wow, we are being so Plato-like on the BOL forum! Good for you guys, for not conforming to what is "supposed" to be. I grew up in the south, and was raised to be a wife. I am TOTALLY the black sheep of the family because I've never been married, and am not holding out for anything. I think that our sport tends to attract people who are a little "out of the norm" (or a lot, in some of our cases LOL) so it doesn't surprise me. Floboot, I am also vegan and once again another mark for my southern upbringing and black sheepishness. And one more vote for the rudeness of people! It's amazing to me what people will say about certain aspects of someone else's life. I just smile and say "glad I'm not like you".

Well Michelle, how 'normal' I feel after reading your post..Hahaha...and a fellowess Vegan..how rare yet welcome( no offense meant to anyone else):)

It certainly is good to come across people that aren't sheeple..and yes certainly some interesting posts to reply to...

Ditto on the black sheep and marriage thing..

Here's an example of me being the black sheep...

I was brought up eating white bread (society's norm at the time), aged 17 having left home, I decided to go to a health food (rare at the time)shop and buy brown bread...I also started eating hummus, black eyed beans (I was a meat eater at the time) ...anyway my brother found out what I was eating and during a row he said"...and all that weird food you're eating...":rolleyes:

...how again, society has changed...

In terms of snowboarding attracting slightly off-the-wall people..let me just say I thought snowboarding was the only snow sport there is:eplus2:

I don't know much about Plato but as a slightly cliched comment I'm certainly on planet Pluto..:p

IanM's comment about shorter relationships today? besides a myriad of things that can affect relationships, I believe that certain types of TV programmes and magazines have a big influence in shortening relationships... Not just the obvious like certain soaps but programmes that make people think they can have it all now with little effort:big brother,x factor etc...IMHO of course:biggthump

Edited by floBoot

Well Michelle, how 'normal' I feel after reading your post..Hahaha...and a fellowess Vegan..how rare yet welcome( no offense meant to anyone else)

Yes, very welcome! We should talk food sometime! My favorite subject!

Glad I could make you feel "normal" - sometimes looking at someone else's life gives you a lot of insight into your own. :D

Yes, very welcome! We should talk food sometime! My favorite subject!

FloBoot, you really should.

I'm a carnivore through and through, but I'll confess, Michelle does love food and CAN cook!

Oh yeah, and did I mention that she's just generally awesome?

Add another chalk mark on the vegan side; at least that's how shop for myself! I find it too challenging to eat vegan when out at friends' places or restaurants, so I'm flexible and choose the best I can. On the positive side, I've never had anyone give me grief about it.

Vegan carvers unite! (As if we weren't in a small enough minority to begin with...)

Add another chalk mark on the vegan side; at least that's how shop for myself! I find it too challenging to eat vegan when out at friends' places or restaurants, so I'm flexible and choose the best I can. On the positive side, I've never had anyone give me grief about it.

Vegan carvers unite! (As if we weren't in a small enough minority to begin

Well,well I am amazed :) ..another Vegan...hmmm....there's another lurking in the background, isn't there...Bumpyride.:biggthump..posted on the AIL thread...

It would be really nice if ANYONE posted recipes on a foody thread, as I'm used to finding alternative ingredients...and I feel like a 'food scientist' :rolleyes: when it works...my cooking skills aren't that great but I enjoy it...

RESTAURANTS:boxing_sm...another story...last year, Christmas lunch re work colleagues..I emailed a so called decent restaurant to let them know in advance of my dietary requirements.......we all turn up, they're all happy with their food lot...me...I get served a PLATE OF SLUGS with a few potatoes and various slung on the side...quite an incongruous looking mix...

...after stabbing at and sliding the slimy tasteless mass around my palate...I then realised I had been served a.... last-minute-chopped-up-and-fried-with-no-spices-AUBERGINE....

...I complained, sent it back..and got an acceptable alternative:rolleyes:

...so you can guess what'll happen this year...there's a very good chance I will be the only person left working that afternoon whilst the others have their posh lunch...

..but hey ho that's my choice in life...:biggthump

On the up side, I can usually find something in cafes, I do on occasions have a good greasy fry up at a Tesco store ...:)

Perhaps this can be moved to Michelle's new foody thread:biggthump

Edited by floBoot

Well,well I am amazed :) ..another Vegan...hmmm....there's another lurking in the background, isn't there...Bumpyride.:biggthump..posted on the AIL thread...

It would be really nice if ANYONE posted recipes on a foody thread, as I'm used to finding alternative ingredients...and I feel like a 'food scientist' :rolleyes: when it works...my cooking skills aren't that great but I enjoy it...

DONE!

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?38352-MJ-s-AWESOME-Foody-Thread!&p=384792#post384792

RESTAURANTS:boxing_sm...another story...last year, Christmas lunch re work colleagues..I emailed a so called decent restaurant to let them know in advance of my dietary requirements.......we all turn up, they're all happy with their food lot...me...I get served a PLATE OF SLUGS with a few potatoes and various slung on the side...quite an incongruous looking mix...

...after stabbing at and sliding the slimy tasteless mass around my palate...I then realised I had been served a.... last-minute-chopped-up-and-fried-with-no-spices-AUBERGINE....

...I complained, sent it back..and got an acceptable alternative:rolleyes:

Any respectable restuarant should be able to accomodate and whip up some type of pasta/olive oil/veggie dish in my opinion. Especially when you call ahead!! Glad you complained, seems like they didn't even try. I called ahead to a restuarant in my home town because we were having a big family lunch there. They had a special meal waiting for me, and the chef said it wasn't all that hard (because it's not - duh!).

Oh, you guys have no idea what you have started! I love to talk about food!

floboot, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about alternatives and nutritional values! And share recipies!

• 2 weeks later...