Note to New Members ×

OT: waaaaaaay OT....

Aisling

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. And it's organic, which is also a very important thing to me knowing that I am not promoting chocolate slave labor in Africa. Organic Chocolate uses only fair trade chocolate, or grown in the US under non-child labor laws......for lack of a better way to say it.

Point of clarification.

Organic refers to it being chemical and pesticide free. Fair trade refers to the practice of not exploiting workers. Organic does not necessarily implie fair trade.

That said Dagoba is both and an excellent chocolate to boot. try the dark chocolate with chile its really good and not exactly what you would expect.

Green and Blacks is another excellent choice:biggthump

Green and Blacks makes goooooooood Coco. I discovered a source for cacao nibs which when put in a pepper grinder makes for a great Cappuccino condiment...

I like the nibs alone they have a funny nutty taste. they are even better when mixed with Goji (wolf) berries. You can get them dried and a handful of the berries and one of the nibs is a great pick me up! they are also good in trail mix.:lurk:

bake the nibs into brownies and cookies mmmmmm

Point of clarification.

Organic refers to it being chemical and pesticide free. Fair trade refers to the practice of not exploiting workers. Organic does not necessarily implie fair trade.

That said Dagoba is both and an excellent chocolate to boot. try the dark chocolate with chile its really good and not exactly what you would expect.

Green and Blacks is another excellent choice:biggthump

True. However, all the organic brands I know also practice Fair Trade, at least in coffee and chocolate.

True. However, all the organic brands I know also practice Fair Trade, at least in coffee and chocolate.

They seem to be closely aligned subjects all right. I made the distinction only because the organic thing is going mainstream with more and more products in the regular grocery stores. When the market starts shifting that way I guarantee that some companies truth in labeling will slip a little. There is a lot of implied goodness in the new labeling laws that has no bearing on reality. So just a reminder to read and ask questions when you choose your products.

You are correct. A lot of things can be labeled "organic" and not be what we like to think of as organic (free of pesticides, etc).It's been a big hype in a lot of my veg head magazines about the truth in the labeling. Buyer beware! It's best to know a bit about the companies that you purchase from, instead of the organic label.

if you do organic and it's important to you getting your fresh produce through a CSA program is the way to go

the laws for labeling here are so weak that all you really have to do to sell anything you want is say that the origional product was unavailable so the packing company can substitute anything they want in there the really fun part about this is that unavailable can just mean that organic ingridients were slightly more expensive.

I'm no stickler about organic although I try to make sure my staples are from a good source. To me local foods are just as important as organic, maybe even more important depends on how I feel that day I guess.

I'd like to see a push for fair trade within the US, US farmers get ****ed too.

I'm just reading "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and I have to say I'm shocked at what they can call organic. What was the phrase they used - "everything eventually morphs into the way the world is"?. Good ideas bump up against reality, and guess who wins.

It's made me think, though, that I might start buying meat from the farmers market, and resurrect my vege garden. Some of the stuff I'm reading is way too scary. Like, 52% of my diet started life as a corn plant??? Yikes.

Allee!

I'm with you on that, corn is so bad in so many ways and in north america it is in places that it should not be, not to mention it's bad for the animals too, it hardens the fat in beef.

Most domestic corn here in the US is GM too, not sure about Cananda but I know that Canada does have pretty easy laws to skirt depending on how you do it.

Ugh, I really need a paying job working in the area of doing work promoting sustainable agriculture, I care about it too much!

****, if I got payed minimum wage I'd probably continue to do it, I can't really afford to do the volunteer thing anymore though.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad end/start for me...ran over my neighbor's (they also plow my driveway) favorite cat as my final act of 2006...never even saw it at 40mph until too late - and I LOVE cats. All the new snow we got two days ago has been hammered by rain and sleet today, supposed to be 40-45 degrees and rain later this week - all my races have been cancelled again for the coming weekend (7 so far this season). I'm not feeling to good today. :(

At least it's all got me thinking creatively about either trying to find a temp crash pad in the Rockies so I can at least ride/race for the next two months and still pay my rent back here...or ditching it all and going to Florida with the same plan to race kayaks and get a jump on the competiton next spring - probably won't do either but it's nice to imagine the possibilities.

Thinking of seeing if I can find a kitten for my neighbors.

Bad end/start for me...ran over my neighbor's (they also plow my driveway) favorite cat as my final act of 2006...never even saw it at 40mph until too late - and I LOVE cats.

Thinking of seeing if I can find a kitten for my neighbors.

Dude, that's really harsh. I would feel TERRIBLE.

Is it kitten season? How about a nice pre-owned cat from the shelter?