Note to New Members ×

Rad Air/Winterstick Collab

Jack M

On 8/29/2023 at 5:30 PM, philw said:

Mostly, but I carve hardpack pretty much the same. The Seth Pro looks most interesting. I'm generally pleased that they saved the brand and are making a niche for it.

I'm sceptical of STs in the sort of powder I ride, but if Seth has a spare small one hanging around this season I'll happily see if I can get some shots of it ripping. If it does 😉 

The engineer was running banked slaloms on the 183 and was the only thin I saw him on all year….. in the east. It’s not pleasant switch but otherwise is a unique board, I was skeptic as well but the thing is a masterpiece in how well it handles different conditions with that absurd amount of taper but holds an edge well and absolutely rips tight carves. If you’re at whistler this winter I’m sure Seth would get on something. If you’re in maine for any reason we have a demo fleet! 

the biggest thing is all that taper and the nature of the tails might not be the most user friendly thing in steep crusty chutes. That’s a given for any board with that amount of taper though. In those conditions I’d go for a TB or wescott… 

• Like 1

Doing the tanker was a hoot for me. Having had so many over the years and evangelizing them… then i get to be part of production for some of them… amazing. 
the list of boards that I like immensely is very short. But THEY are not necessarily short….

IMG_8408.jpeg

• Like 7

• 4 months later...

tested in some pretty horrible conditions with softboot and then with hardboot. about 17" of wet snow fell the day before at the loaf. due to warmer temps, groomers skipped first shift and only second shift went out to groom limited terrain and didn't stop grooming until mid morning. everything was pretty freshly groomed with not much time to set up, etc. before some rather heavy skier/rider traffic devoured the surface. ridges f-ing everywhere. speed bump city. imagine the conditions. i did find a spot to link two or three consecutive turns though, where the rest of the feelings i got from this board were very variable conditions; ie crapolla.

29 mondo softboot riding a 26 waist 191, carbon, 12m radial board here. a added a plate, but still fairly limited for any carving. took me back to the days before i even knew how to set an edge and how limited the equipment forced the ability and progression of the rider. thankfullly, times have changed. i located and marked the effective edge contact points at the nose for reference while riding ("visually", identical to a k68). tail ee just about at the rad-air logo. the tail is long. 'baby got back'. stiffer core profile flex in the tail. it's felt more when hand flexing than when riding. it blends nicely overall while riding. i could only get this feeling when i was using with hardboots where i could tip it up accordingly and rail a few turns. with the lower angles on hardboots, my knees only tolerated a handful of runs, given the conditions i was dealing with.

while i preferred to demo other stock spec'd boards, this was the closest board to what was available in the demo fleet at the time for me to feel some of the features this board has. not everything, but some. the two variables i focused on was the carbon construction and radial sidecut. the increased torsional flex helps hold a locked in turn as good as anything. moreso than other full titanal boards suited to my size. does it help with dampness? well, it's carbon. i think that on a more appropriately/desired sized board for me would help with still being able to 'pedal' a bit to alter turns while still holding a rail if desired. technique plays a factor here, as opposed to the rider solely relying on board construction to make the turn. maybe something fun to play with. the radial sidecut felt normal i'd say. it was difficult to dial this in due to conditions and also the core profile flex in the design of this board. it is a particular animal of a board. it's not for me, but had fun testing. snowboarding is fun no matter what. testing and riding boards of all kinds helps the rider better understand their own needs. while there is no such thing as a perfect board or a one board quiver, we can try. test test test.

rad.air.alpine.jpg

rad.air.softy.jpg

Edited by dhamann
  • Like 1

One thing noteworthy on that one is the tail is a little different than the production boards that’s why we have it. It was in the wrong place on the camber block. I’ve not been on that one to see how much it changes it but I suspect that the tail will feel mildly different. 

• Like 1

You should try the 181. I just rode it in powder, moguls, and I've carved it through all sorts of terrain terrain; including stuff I could barely sideslip, but could free carve down (to be frank, it was on a well-ridden 0/0 factory tune, lol).

It's pretty much my do everything board except for stuff I need to fit between two trees on, if I even need to (probably a super steep, or a bob sled run I don't wanna build speed on). I would be pretty comfortable taking this to terrain I would need to do hop-ish turns.

I hear the 191 collab is a completely different ride than the 181.

Edited by Odd Job

On 8/29/2023 at 3:30 PM, philw said:

Mostly, but I carve hardpack pretty much the same. The Seth Pro looks most interesting. I'm generally pleased that they saved the brand and are making a niche for it.

I'm sceptical of STs in the sort of powder I ride, but if Seth has a spare small one hanging around this season I'll happily see if I can get some shots of it ripping. If it does 😉 

..did you check out the DayDreamer?  I heard Seth rides this a lot or at least w new snow, the pow & carve days.

• Like 1