Note to New Members ×

Shipping

brokecollegekid

Hey Everyone!

Wasn't quite sure what topic to ask this under so I chose this one. I was hoping someone could give me tips on how to ship a snowboard for cheap? Having trouble purchasing from a seller on here because shipping is ~$160. Is this pretty typical or are there better ways to go about it? (disclaimer: both parties are in the lower 48)

I second what West Carven just said.  $160 in the lower 48? That is way too expensive especially since you are looking in the 155-165cm range board.  I just had a 180cm board shipped to me and it was $75 using 3 day Fed-Ex. I just got a quote TODAY to ship a 175cm Donek Incline to Maine from here in Colorado and it was $84 from UPS and a similar number from USPS for 4 day delivery INCLUDING insurance.  So, unless you are getting something on an expedited basis, I would balk at $160.  

What is getting you is NOT the length of the package, but rather the height or the width of this package. If you can slim down the volume via either height or width(tough to do as you are not able to squish a board), so......you are left with only height to play with in this delivery. Go online to USPS/UPS/Fedex and you can get quotes based on the dimensions of the package. If you get just the board delivered and get boots/bindings elsewhere, I am in West's camp, you will drop the price markedly. 

Chris

• Thanks 1

That's likely a shipping service, like dropping off a naked board at a UPS store and having them box it. 

Look up "burrito method" for how to pack a board. If the seller is unwilling to do that, then get a board somewhere else. 

• Like 2

I agree. Shipping should be no more than $40 in CONUS. Get some pieces of flat cardboard and wrap the board with tape. As long as nothing hard hits the board itself, it should be OK. Think about how much abuse a board takes when you ride it. 

I've shipped several boards and I have the following advice:

• If you buy a snowboard, keep the box so you can use it again to ship another board. If you don't have a box, do the burrito method with some large shipping boxes.
  • Wrap the tip and tail in scrap pieces of cardboard, bubble wrap, etc.
  • Shop around for shipping quotes. I can usually ship a board across the country for under $50. I've had good luck with UPS.
  • Buy shipping insurance.
  • Don't use a shipping service. They charge so much.
  • I have bought boards from people who want me to pay for shipping. Rather than have them give you some super high quote, ask if you can pay for the shipping and then just have them print out the label. That way you can get a good shipping rate.

Also, since it does take time and some supplies to package up a board and then take it to a shipper, I generally don't mind if a seller wants to pad their shipping by a few dollars, e,g, if the actual shipping is $44.50 and the board is a good deal, I'm probably not going to argue too much if the seller asks for $50.  But the 2X and 3X markup that those pack and ship places charge is way out of line.