Note to New Members ×

Struggling with SL courses

Dw3

Been riding the hard boots 4 years. I’m finally at a point where I can carve a GS course pretty well (imho) riding a Donek  secret 170. However, I cannot seem to do very well on the SL course on a Kessler 162.  I’m sure my technique is the main problem but maybe a different board would help? The Kessler just seems so stiff and hard to turn. What would you recommend? Btw, I’m 5’9”, 170 lbs

Edited by Dw3
More info

What helmet are you wearing? Are your gloves race rated? Is your outfit color coordinated?

What Odd Job said is correct. Technique. And that is different then the technique riding an SL board as a freecarver. Being told where to turn and how sharp is a whole different world.

Actual question...Are you working with a coach or just going at it alone?

ink

• Haha 4

"A Bad Craftsman Blames his Tools"

If your sl board is set up like your gs board, and you could carve it just fine outside of the gates, then your issue is not equipment or setup, it is more than likely you are not putting enough energy in the board to bring your turn radius down tighter.  I can ride lazy and make gs turns all day on my slalom board, but if I put some oomph into it, I can whip that board around and about kiss my own a$$, not that I would want to...

Not a racer, just a freecarver, taught by Coach Inkaholic

Mario

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My two cents on the equipment.

The 170 is a short GS board.  Most racers you see on a 162 SL board would be riding a 185 GS board.  The 162 may be a lot of board compared to the 170, so maybe a shorter/softer SL board would work better? For Kessler that would be a 156 or 159. 

• Like 1

As others have said, it is most likely a technique thing. 162/163 is the standard men's slalom board. 

Slalom is not a a "small GS". Slalom is a fundamentally different riding style than GS. Because you have no time to think or , it is much more instinctual than GS. I am of the opinion that the most beneficial way to get better at slalom is a high volume of lane time running slalom courses. It's very high energy (much higher than most people think) and riding on the edge of control the entire time. 

• Like 3