Note to New Members ×

Bag recommendation?

jim_s

I've had an old Burton snowboard bag that I've used for ages, but the zipper has finally given out. I'd just replace the zipper, but the bag itself is in kinda rough condition with various minor tears in it. I don't travel w/ my board, other than to throw it in the back of the van with other boards and skis to go up to the local hill. ('local' being a 3hr drive on bumpy, curvy roads, so a sleeve would likely be a bit too minimalistic...) I don't need lots of padding (such as for airport baggage gorillas), nor rollers/wheels, etc - just a basic, reliable bag that I can zip my baby in to protect it from others' edges, as well as contain melt-off at the end of the day so as not to make a mess in my or others' vehicles. (Some type of carrying handle would be nice, and ideally it'd have maybe one or two zipper pockets in which I could keep an extra leash, a screwdriver, an edge sharpener, a few spare bolts, etc in.) Under/around $100US would be nice, too. (This is for my MK, so it'd need to accommodate a 161cm length w/ square tail - not much volume needed for the folded-down F2 bindings. 🙂

Edited by jim_s
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, st_lupo said:

Bonus points for a solution that fits boards up to 185cm.  😎

I was lucky to buy a couple of Rossignol board bags that is padded in the middle, water proof and can handle 210's. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore 

I found this but it's expensive. Do I win bonus points? https://www.amazon.com/Snowboard-Waterproof-Capacity-Adjustable-Foldable/dp/B0BN893SW4/ref=asc_df_B0BN893SW4?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80745517015671&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345038645201&psc=1

Edited by snowburn
  • Like 1

I just got this bag from Amazon.  The 175 size just fits my Donek FC 175 (20cm wide) so I'd say these bags are "true to size".  The bag is reasonably well made with dense but not particularly thick padding.  There is one outside pocket that's pretty flat - good for tools, maybe gloves and a hat.  As one of the reviewers noted, the attachments for the handles are a weak point and I think a baggage handler would tear the handles out pretty quickly.  I actually wrote a review of the bag but Amazon rejected it saying my review doesn't comply with community guidelines.  I'm one of those Vine reviewers and have written a lot of reviews and haven't yet figured out what Amazon doesn't like about the review of the bag.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BMQ883QH?th=1

Update:  My Donek FC is square-tailed and I think a 176 would still just fit.  So, the 160 size would probably just handle the 161cm MK.

Edited by Wolf

Sportube rigid plastic board box. 3 models for different amounts of equipment. Much better protection when travelling by air. Design will accommodate lengths up to around 200cm. I will get a link and post it. Mine is orange to really stand out in baggage collection areas. Also has wheels to trundle along rather than carry full weight.

https://www.sportube.com/category-s/1923.htm

PS: Have now properly read OPs list of desired features. My bad! Thanks @Neil Gendzwill

Edited by SunSurfer

1 hour ago, SunSurfer said:

Much better protection when travelling by air. 

OP explicitly said he doesn’t travel and doesn’t need padding or wheels. A sporttube is pretty much the opposite of what he wants. 

DaKine makes great reasonably priced bags. Their Pipe model in size 165 should do the trick at $90, or pay another $15 and get the Freestyle which is much the same but padded. 

https://ce.dakine.com/collections/snowboard-travel-bags/products/pipe-snowboard-bag?variant=39770984284240

ETA: I have the Freestyle and mine is not padded. Maybe newer ones are? Anyway it is well constructed and has high quality zippers which in my experience is where cheaper bags usually cut corners. 

Yeah yeah I know.  I read above.  But bags suck. And zippers suck.  A Sportube 2 would be perfect for the little MK.  Same weight as a bag.  No shitty zippers.  Just pull the pin and lift the lid.  It'll protect your ride better than any bag will while bouncing around in the back of a van.  Fine.  Don't listen. 👍  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

@SunSurfer and @Kneel I hear you guys, and no doubt, a hard case like that would be the best possible protection, but the other consideration is how much volume I take up in limited spaces - I don't want to be a d*ck and take up 1/2 the space we've got available for skis and boards when we take cars/wagons (in the van, it's not quite as big a deal). 🙂 (Plus, the hard cases are 2-3x the price I am willing to pay!)

Edited by jim_s
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Wolf said:

I actually wrote a review of the bag but Amazon rejected it saying my review doesn't comply with community guidelines.  I'm one of those Vine reviewers and have written a lot of reviews and haven't yet figured out what Amazon doesn't like about the review of the bag.

No surprise there. Internet fact checking, truth scrubbing, the powers that be keeping the masses in the dark at its best right there. SMH