Note to New Members ×

CARVY/slarvy to MCC style?

1xsculler

I don't get particularly low but when I do get low (for me) I find the following things have happened:

- I'm on a steep enough slope to support it, greens need not apply

- I have pressured the edge very early in the turn

- I am making a full or nearly full C-shaped carve

- I have committed hard by hucking myself over to the downhill edge

- once I've hucked, I've trusted in the edge (or I trusted in the edge to allow me to huck, chicken and egg thing)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I have committed hard

Ditto!   You gotta go for it! ........and a slope that just a little steeper than  easy terrain for ya (Gravity) Helps!

The 1st couple of times don't even try to turn, just ride it out with more of your body in contact with the snow to get prepared for the feeling of dragging body parts on the slope.....then try on next turn to push back off the slope before you come to a complete stop.....  you will figure out the sequence in relation to the slope pretty quick.

Go for It Scully!

43 minutes ago, barryj said:

Ditto!   You gotta go for it! ........and a slope that just a little steeper than  easy terrain for ya (Gravity) Helps!

The 1st couple of times don't even try to turn, just ride it out with more of your body in contact with the snow to get prepared for the feeling of dragging body parts on the slope.....then try on next turn to push back off the slope before you come to a complete stop.....  you will figure out the sequence in relation to the slope pretty quick.

Go for It Scully!

Not interested in EC, just aggressive Bomber/MCC style. 
I hope you’re healing up well, barryj. 

It's all part of the repertoire.   don't discount EC/laying down.

my humble 2 cents: basic style comes to how much angulation vs rotation. 
Being dynamic(load/unload) and commit are required in both style.

EC - more rotation; initiated with rotation and lead to angulation
Race/bomer style - more focus on angulation but there are element of rotation involved.

have fun; the time will come.

Don't try to get down to the ground.  Let the ground come to you. When you're doing everything right, it will.

IMO, the EC heelside is really just a fun trick.  I've never seen a racer do it.  They'll lay out a toeside as a get-out-of-jail move, but never on heelside.

EC is a blessing and a curse.  I love that it attracts people to the sport, but new and intermediate carvers try to emulate it way to early.  They end up just flopping from side to side, dragging body parts, killing speed, and having to wait an eternity to build up enough speed for their next flop.

You can get low on heelside without dragging your armpit.

jm_heel.jpg

photo: Dennis Mellon, at MCC '22

Commitment is key, and so is maintaining that commitment through the whole carve in order to control speed.  Key to that is looking across the hill to where you want the carve to end, and not letting up on the edge angle.  If you just look downhill or right in front of your board it will likely cause you to ease up on the edge, stand up a little, open your hips/shoulders to the fall line, and then you're picking up too much speed or losing edge hold.

• Like 9

21 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

So, now that I just got a bit of a grip on Lexi angulation which has improved my carving quite a bit how do I advance to knees 6” off the snow throughout a pencil line turn?

Focus!  Jamming your knees into the snow isn't an end, nor is it the means to an end, and focusing on acheiving a low body position is likely to make you adopt bad habits that need to be unlearned later (it was for me).  Low body position is a byproduct.  Focus on: _maximizing_pressure_on_every_single_turn_.  As you learn to increase pressure on the edge, you find that you just have to lean in to keep from flying out of the turn!

Focus!  On one aspect of your technique at a time.  Don't try to change/improve everything all at once.  Improve in increments and at most, focus on one aspect of your technique through an entire run.  For example: focus only on reaching for your boot cuffs, or focus only on where your hips are facing through the turn, etc.  If your run is going really well let it roll and keep going but don't over-think.  Save the analysis until the chair ride up (or if your run is going to crap, stop and refocus).

Steeper runs help, but moderate blues are just fine.  If you have a bigger quiver, maybe focus on just one board (or similar riding boards).   But still, most of all: forget pencil-lines, forget skimming the snow with your body, forget that person who's style you want to copy and focus on maximizing pressure on every turn.  When you get to the point where your carves feel as solid as if you are standing on a concrete foundation, you'll probably find that all the other stuff comes for free. 

I think you already know what you need to, know technique wise, just be systematic and patient.  🙂

• Like 1

Let's say if you had balance skills like a Marvel Comics character, any technique would basically work if your equipment didn't break from the awkward forces.

Edge hold on ice is just the board forming an initial ledge from good movements, and then you balancing on a minuscule ledge as every other non perfect thing on the snow attempts to wobble you out of it.

Whatever it takes to get you there, even if you have to slap yourself in the face at the turn apex and scream "MONKEY NUTS!".

Edited by Odd Job
  • Haha 1

I sincerely appreciate all of your very good comments. 
Even though I am progressing especially since I’m much more aware of angulation my major problem persists, i.e. I can linkup pencil lines all day long on gentle slopes where I can stay in the fall line when speed control is not an issue BUT the minute I get on a slightly steeper slope where I need to wrap my turns back up the hill to control speed I always resort to slarving…very, very frustrating. 
I know I must “just go for it…hang in there…commit, etc.” but it’s a huge struggle. 

On another issue: I believe all of you guys/gals who can carve runs like at Turner with gorgeous carved turns (Facebook images) can also care like that on most any board, i.e. Coiler, Thirst, Donek, Kessler and even a Burton Factory Prime BUT for a carver wannabe, like me, a more flexible board like my Thirst XC and SF are helpful. 

On 2/13/2022 at 12:05 PM, 1xsculler said:

I’ve heard it soooo many times and never remembered to do it when on the hill until last Monday but looking across the run to where you want to go does make a considerable difference in hanging on to a carve. 
Thanks, Jack!

Leonardo-Dicaprio-Cheers-300x200.jpg

It also helps the slope appear more gentle or even flat because you're not looking down it.  Your body knows better what to do when you give it the visual target.

• Like 1