Note to New Members ×

Olympics 2022 (spoiler alert)

west carven

Damn... nice shot.

ratio3x2_1100.jpg

So no Titanial as per the Virus site, interesting. 

We totally reengineered the construction and we are ending to build slow acting titanal construction board era. The titanal boards are overdamped and have like no acceleration in flat areas and out of the turns. Get faster by seconds and have more fun while carving!
source- https://shop.virus-snowsports.com/collections/snowboards-competition-carving-snowboards/products/gs-worldcup-carbon-176-180-185-new

Edited by lonbordin
Interest...
  • Like 2

Benjamin Karl on the Virus was interesting.....   It was amazing as well how even with his wobble, he still stayed in it.....

Saw a few surprises with the boots and the plates as well......   the course sure went to hell of ruts and ice quick.....  many blowouts.....  

6 minutes ago, big mario said:

Lots of those yellow boots, with some deluxeo's, both 425's and 700's, with a few upz's thrown in for good measure. It think Vic was wearing the black and gold T700's

Vic was part of the Yellow Boot Mafia. Daniela Ulbing only podium finisher not on MS.951.

ink

13 hours ago, Odd Job said:

Man, the snow looked real soft. Real soft.

Finals did not look soft to me at all.  Quite chalky and it looked like it was too firm for some riders.

6 hours ago, lonbordin said:

So no Titanial as per the Virus site, interesting. 

We totally reengineered the construction and we are ending to build slow acting titanal construction board era. The titanal boards are overdamped and have like no acceleration in flat areas and out of the turns. Get faster by seconds and have more fun while carving!

@Donek is probably punching a wall somewhere.  Sounds like Secret construction.   @Winterstick also has something similar available.  Not sure I'll be giving up Titanal here in New England, but I'll try it.  I think if a board is stiff enough it accelerates regardless.  Impossible to attribute the win to the construction.  Too many other variables like the purported 195cm length, and Karl himself.

Their site also says the board has an elliptical sidecut.  I doubt that's the full story because the common knowledge is that sidecuts that get longer towards the tail are faster.  I can't imagine the sidecut on this Virus being symmetrical or single-elliptical.

Here we go, the dawn of the Virus era in WC.  Wonder what took so long.

• Like 1

My son sent me a screen shot of Frank's FB, I believe, saying...

"Olympic Gold Medal Beijing 2022 - Mens giant slalom snowboard!!!

Thank you Benjamin Karl...going to the Olympics with a prototype board built 3 days before your flight to Beijing. Not ridden for one run before first attemt on chinese slopes. This was a masterpiece.

You are my hero. Thanks for trusting me!❤️❤️❤️

I'm not on FB so I retyped it.

ink

11 minutes ago, Jack M said:

Here we go, the dawn of the Virus era in WC.  Wonder what took so long.

Earlier I checked Virus website said "23 sold in last 9 hours". It has started.

• LOL 1

2 hours ago, Jack M said:

@Donek is probably punching a wall somewhere.  Sounds like Secret construction.   @Winterstick also has something similar available.  Not sure I'll be giving up Titanal here in New England, but I'll try it.  I think if a board is stiff enough it accelerates regardless.  Impossible to attribute the win to the construction.  Too many other variables like the purported 195cm length, and Karl himself.

Karl has worked really hard for this, it shouldn't be a surprise.  He rips.

I agree about all the confounding variables. Another factor is how much the AllFlex plate removes the need for Titanal.  

One thing is for sure Karl+Virus+AllFlex+.951 is awesome to watch-
(Edit- the next is everything but a Virus, thanks Ink for the correction)
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZrMupIFUyK/

Edited by lonbordin

35 minutes ago, inkaholic said:

Earlier I checked Virus website said "23 sold in last 9 hours". It has started.

Wow.  That was fast.  Now we just need @TVR's son to start winning World Cups on Bombers, muahahaha.

3 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

Another factor is how much the AllFlex plate removes the need for Titanal. 

I don't think it does, the board still has to interact with the snow regardless.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jack M said:

Their site also says the board has an elliptical sidecut.  I doubt that's the full story because the common knowledge is that sidecuts that get longer towards the tail are faster.  I can't imagine the sidecut on this Virus being symmetrical or single-elliptical.

But, it could be any part of the ellipse. Depending what section one took, it could be progressive, regressive, symmetrically or asymmetrically tight by the ends or "contra". 

18 minutes ago, BlueB said:

But, it could be any part of the ellipse. Depending what section one took, it could be progressive, regressive, symmetrically or asymmetrically tight by the ends or "contra". 

True, which is why I said they're not telling the whole story.  But it couldn't be contra.

Wish we could see the difference between SG and F2 bindings....   the SG bindings are more beefy....  so that would be interesting....  They look identical.... 

I also wonder, aside from the Virus, who was running custom boards vs the stock....   and obviously, no search engine will have those statistics......

JJ was notorious for not doing the industry standard sidecuts....  And they seem to work for many....

23 (correct that 28 now) ordered at what price entry per board? Let's say $2,500 at least????

@inkaholicsomething has got to be missing in this story that is not being shared. That was a HUGE risk for Karl to jump on a brand new proto and run it in the Olympics. Yeah it worked out for him and I am super happy for him, but there is no way Karl didn't get some training laps on that board before jumping into a PGS race.